Author Topic: Vicious Dogs.........Ha yeah right  (Read 8072 times)

Offline GREYTLADY45

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Vicious Dogs.........Ha yeah right
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 08:21:21 pm »
THAT'S A GREAT DOG YOU HAVE!!  MY BROTHER ALWAYS HAD DOBIES AND THEY WERE ONE MORE GENTLE THAN THE OTHER!!  WHEN HIS DAUGHTER WAS TWO, SATAN - NOT AN APPROPRIATE NAME FOR HIM - USED TO PULL HER DIAPER OFF AND NEVER EVER TOUCHED HER SKIN.  IT WAS A GAME.  IF THERE'S A VICIOUS DOBIE OUT THERE IT'S BECAUSE OF THE WAY HE WAS RAISED.  SOME PEOPLE MIGHT DISAGREE BUT I THINK IT'S THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE DOGS VICIOUS IN MOST CASES.  HOPE HE RECOVERED WELL FROM HIS INJURIES.  LORRAINE

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 08:59:01 am »
One other thing about this topic is that, yes it is true that a dog's temperment is a direct result of how it's owners raise and treat it, but people need to keep in mind the basis for what they were originally bred for.  Guard dogs are, by nature, going to have a predisposition to being more aggressive.  That is what they were bred for, to be a menacing threat to anyone who would want to harm their master.  Other breeds, like Working dogs, are not going to have this inherent quality of aggression, but that doesn't mean that they lack the ability to be so.  After WWII, German Shepards became a very popular breed.  Many people found out the hard way that they tend to BITE!  This may be for a variety of reasons, but a fact is a fact.  I love German Shepards, but I don't think I would ever get one because I have seen them bite a lot of people.  There is a reason why they have been used by the military and police forces for a long, long time.  These are the things that people need to realize when they buy dogs, each breed has it's pros and cons and potential risks. 
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 09:42:11 am »
greytlady,
He recovered well, and although he crossed the rainbow bridge six years ago, he is still sorely missed. We still have his daughter today.One of my current fur kids, my dane Merlin, is extremely protective of my 11 year old daughter. One squeal from her is garanteed to bring him on at a run, so he can check out the situation. He was never trained to do this, it is instinctive, I think, for him to protect the youngest and therefor most vulnerable member of his pack. If more people would bother to try to understand the instinctive behavior of "domesticated" animals, I think there would be far fewer problems and "bad" dog breeds. But that would require effort, and it is far easier for John Q. Public to be judgemental and steriotypical, and pass laws than to be logical. OK, Off my soapbox now.
Stella
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:16:39 am by GR8DAME »

Offline Love n Logan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 12:16:03 am »
Hi there,
I am new here and just wanted to say Hi. Our new family member is Logan . An 8 week old gorgeous Rottie boy.
Regarding the vicious dog thing----WHATEVER!!!LOL!! We have owned Rotts for 14 years and I have pics of our older male (before he passed away) with a n 8 week old lamb draped over his neck. Also sitting between his front legs. I labeled it "Gentle as a lamb" I work at a pet hospital and just today we had a springer spaniel walk in flippign out at people , dogs anything that got in front of him and a very large 3 year old male Rottweiler who was so non reactive it was humerous. He surprised everyone in our waiting room and I just laughed and hugged him and told everyone to be careful of judging a book by its cover.
Here is Logan. Hope the pic comes out.