Author Topic: THERAPY DOG?  (Read 4366 times)

Offline 8BIGPAWS

• Gnawer
  • Molly (black) & Murphy (white)
    • View Profile
THERAPY DOG?
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:22:51 am »
Hi all.  My Murphy and I just passed our Delta Society Pet Therapy team test last weekend.  We'll start visiting a nursing home officially in January (but we've been to the one where my mom is so I already know Murphy is great at it!

Just thought I'd try to connect with some other BIG therapy dogs...not those little lap dogs!

jesday

Re: THERAPY DOG?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:24:55 am »
How long did the training take? We have one therapy trainer out here who is credentialed to give out the Delta Society certification. But her classes are broken down into 3 6-week classes in order to get certification and they are quite expensive for a class type training.

I seriously want to do this with both my Newfs but have things on pause until we get medical issues cleared up.

Congrats on Murphy's completion. :D And yea for the big paw. It's so much easier for a senior citizen to wrap arms around a big dog from a wheel chair than a little lap dog.

Good job Murphy :-*

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:46:32 am »
Congradulation s!!! the adventure begins..
Having been a therapy team with Magic for 8 years I know what you mean about the lap pups  but all therapy dogs are great and have their place..If i can offer any assistance please let me know..

i was in Delta 1st for two years..then TDI and finally TDInc..which is where I will stay..even inbetween therapy dogs...I plan to get another Bouv hopfully in the fall..and once he is ready we will hit the ground running..

Again enjoy yourselves..an d welcome to the world of therapy team..

Tricia and the fur kids...

Offline 8BIGPAWS

• Gnawer
  • Molly (black) & Murphy (white)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:13:24 pm »
Murphy is a 3 yr old goldendoodle (in the icon pic he was 1yr old).   

We actually took the CGC training some where else last year but didn't take the test.

I signed up for the Delta testing and didn't take the workshop. I knew Murphy was OK at nursing homes (my Mom's) and with kids. Just needed someone else to see it!

At our testing I ended up buying the training book for all the people stuff in it. It's got good info in it.  But you can buy it online and home study.    I passed the written test without it. Common sense stuff.  I had been doing some research though so I must have picked up some knowledge from that.  So I ended up paying $20 for the testing and $40 for the book. And then we'll get our patch so of course we need a patch holder, a vest, a scarf/tie for the dog....more expenses but all optional.

I don't think you need a workshop if you dog is trained like for CGC and you know their temperment is suited for it.