Author Topic: Update on Samantha's lump  (Read 4293 times)

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Update on Samantha's lump
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:23:51 pm »
I decided not to wait until saturday, being a concerned mommy. I called my vet this morning when i got home from work and they saw her right away. The vet examined her and found the lump on Samantha's front leg to be a tumor. My heart is aching, fearing the worse right now. We have to wait until January to have the tumor removed and find out if it is or isn't cancer. The vet. seemed confident that it is mostly likely not cancer so I'm going with that mentality. We have to wait due to finacial reasons. I work for a car factory (I'm an EMT for toyota),and they are laying us off for a month. So $650.00 is a bit hard to come by. But we are scheduling the surgery for around the 10th of january, unless she seems to start having trouble walking or is in pain, then i'll have my change jar at the local convenience store.HAHA!!!
Thanks for the comments last night, and the advice that was offered. Now that we know what we are dealing with it will be a little easier. "knowing is half the battle" right?
dusty-dawnn

lins_saving_grace

Re: Update on Samantha's lump
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 01:45:27 pm »
those lumps are a pain.  The vet can poke it and take a sample of what's inside, look at it under the microscope and tell if it's "cancerous" or not in one visit.  Grace has one on her stubby that they meant to clip off during her surgery.  they forgot, but the vet did the looksie at it when she was in late last month and it's not cancerous.  they'll probably remove it soon and they may give me a break on the price since they forgot to get to it on the 4th. 
just like with people, dogs grow weird bumps and lumps that serve no purpose and do nothing more than look big. 
I had a dog once that got lumps.  turns out she was getting pimples and if you squeezed them, they would drain and go away.  Lady got one on her paw and before we had the chance to have it removed she licked it and it burst and bled and went away.  Most large breeds get those on the lips and toes.  Of course, Grace has to be different and get one on her stub (which the vet said was most likely scar tissue from her crop that took almost 4 years to bubble up.)
I would go with his confidence in his thinking it's probably a beneign tumor.  If she's not showing signs of pain or strange sickness...the n i think you're ok not to worry.  :)  keep us posted. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:50:32 pm by Lin »

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Samantha's lump
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 02:19:44 pm »
those lumps are a pain.  The vet can poke it and take a sample of what's inside, look at it under the microscope and tell if it's "cancerous" or not in one visit.  Grace has one on her stubby that they meant to clip off during her surgery.  they forgot, but the vet did the looksie at it when she was in late last month and it's not cancerous.  they'll probably remove it soon and they may give me a break on the price since they forgot to get to it on the 4th. 
just like with people, dogs grow weird bumps and lumps that serve no purpose and do nothing more than look big. 
I had a dog once that got lumps.  turns out she was getting pimples and if you squeezed them, they would drain and go away.  Lady got one on her paw and before we had the chance to have it removed she licked it and it burst and bled and went away.  Most large breeds get those on the lips and toes.  Of course, Grace has to be different and get one on her stub (which the vet said was most likely scar tissue from her crop that took almost 4 years to bubble up.)
I would go with his confidence in his thinking it's probably a beneign tumor.  If she's not showing signs of pain or strange sickness...the n i think you're ok not to worry.  :)  keep us posted. 
Sam gets the pimples on her chin. They last a few days before they go away. They look terrible but don't seem to bother her. The problem with this tumor is its location. Its right in the bend of her elbow on her front leg. My vet said that because of the location Sam has been licking and biting at it and thats why it looks as bad as it does. To guote my vet when she saw it "oh my that looks nasty". I think your vet should do your dogs procedure for free since it was thier mistake, but a discount is nice too.
dusty-dawnn