Author Topic: Bear could care less  (Read 8210 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Bear could care less
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:50:03 pm »
There is this cat that lives across the way from us- a giant (like 30 lb.) white cat. We're on the 11th floor and he loves to walk the catwalk from his side of the building, across the middle, to our side. For months he'd just sit there and sun himself but in the last month or so has gotten brave and would come to our side. Well, he was crying outside my door one night on the balcony. I opened it and petted him- think it is a boy- and he's a love. So, he comes over and kinda hangs out to get love each night.

Two nights ago, he comes into the house and peeks around the corner at Bear. Michael & I stayed quiet just watching and as soon as he saw Bear he turned and ran out. Bear, of course, didn't even know he was in the house.  ::) Well, last night, he comes in again, goes around the couch and stares at Bear...and Bear stares back. No movement, no interest, nada. I swear, Bear is the laziest, most chill dog ever. The cat just stared and too but was interested so I think the two could become friends someday. If it happens again I'll have the camera ready.

I tried to get more info on the cat & let the owners know he has become a regular visitor but the weird neighbors who NEVER turn off their lights didn't answer. Oh well, at least the stalker kitty is nice right?  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Bear could care less
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 03:05:46 pm »
Good boy Bear! 

Sounds like you and the stalker kitty could become friends!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:58:37 pm »
Lily totally needs to learn from Bear  ;D  We have a cat walking around the house that our neighbors think OK to let out...Lily goes NUTS every time she sees it  ::) :P And the first 5 min of our walk is making sure the cat is not near by  >:( I hate that cat  >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:42:40 am »
Well it's just too much work to get up!  lol!  That is so cute!  Bear seems like the A Number 1 Newfie!  That reminds me of that youtube video of the newfie with the mouse on his nose... no qualms about it!  lol! 

Please give bear a squadge from his younger twin on the east coast!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 02:14:52 am »
I wish Sierra was as chilled out and well behved as Bear.  She chases any cat she sees and usually ends up getting a julienned nose to show for it.

And yet, my little doofus never seems to learn...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:15:53 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:56:07 am »
Good Boy Bear!

I live in a farmhouse, have 4 large windows in my office & 4 identical windows in the formal dining room. When the girls spot a squirrel, they stampede from window one to each of the other 7 windows, then out dog door to chase the squirrel up the tree.

Bear evidently has much better dog manners.

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 04:38:33 am »
Our neighbor across the street has a a big tabby that hates all dogs, except for my newfies? I've seen it many times where cats are just not intimidated by my newfs, I think the newfs just give off the "whatever" vibe. Whenever the neighbor's cat sees my dog in the window he goes nuts wanting to see them. When we do bring them over they sniff him and move on. The cat particularly likes the older newf, rubbing and walking between his legs. Ben, the big newf has the most halarious look like "dude have some self respect" when the cat is doing this. He clearly is not impressed, pretty funny.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:39:46 am by LDT »
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

jesday

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 05:33:53 am »
It's nice that Bear is so mellow. Good thing it's not a cat burglar. ;D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 05:54:39 am »
Ben, the big newf has the most halarious look like "dude have some self respect" when the cat is doing this. He clearly is not impressed, pretty funny.

I love it!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:27 am »
You are so lucky.  My dogs would flip out if a strange animal of any kind was to come waltzing into our yard, let alone the house.  They lose it when they even hear an animal on the TV in our bedroom and come running, fur up, growling and barking.  Their house and no intruders allowed.  My hubby's big screen TV has scratches in the screen from ChiChi deciding a close up of the man in the grizzly diaries, or whatever he's called, was way too close to him being in the house for her comfort.  She wanted to eat him, bad.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 09:39:11 am »
Awwww, Bear's got better things to do! (Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
Love to see a pic of those two.
My sister once had a cat that would jump from her attic window to the neighbor's everyday while she was at work. Like clockwork, Tuesday(the cat) would run down the stairs to greet her when she came home.
She finally found out when the neighbors told her that her kitty was a part of their family as well.
It's okay to share the love!  :D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 11:57:15 am »
Bear's playing hard to get is all.  :) 
Grace saw a cat at the new vet's office the day of her surgery.  It's huge too and i think a himalayn...bro wn and black...who sits on the chair at the front desk.  the lady who sits there uses him as a back rest.  Grace got all geeked when she saw him and he just sat there.  The next time we went was the day of surgery.  They put the cat in a room so Grace wouldn't go for him to play.  I handed Grace over to the vet tech and they led her into that same room.  I didn't hear any thuds or scretching, so I think the cat made it.  The next day when I picked Grace up, the cat was back on the chair and Grace ignored him.  Maybe they made friends. 
Grace has never seen a cat sitting still since they don't really like her.  She wants to meet one so badly though.