Author Topic: Running with a Husky  (Read 8907 times)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Running with a Husky
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:25:51 pm »
Hey Guys
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:49:27 am by 2Criminals »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Running
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:15:22 pm »
Long walks are great.  It gets all that energy out of both dog and person. 
Tell you SIL to talk to her vet about the jogging.  I get so mad when I see people jogging with their large breeds.  i was told it's not good on their joints.  I've seen people jogging with GSD's, Labs, etc. and I can just see a train wreck waiting to happen.  Vets have told me a few times that it's just not a good idea. 
But please check with the vet on that.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:46:17 pm »
Since huskies were bred to basically jog at a quick clip, personally I think they should be able to start building endurance by 6 mo old or so.  if i remember correctly, Keiko was pretty much full grown by then anyway, just hadn't built up any muscle yet.

Of course I would not recommend putting them behind a sled at that age but jogging should be fine.  Huskies are a lighter breed that were bred for just that.  I would however have her hips checked previous to make sure they won't be a problem.

For a young puppy, short walks are best.  At least until they are properly leash trained.  And she should start right away b/c as you know huskies have a propensity for pulling.  I figure a couple of blocks at a time should be good until she gets what walks are all about.

By 4 months old, I was taking Keiko on mile long walks or longer......al though not every day.  By the time she's 6 mo old she should be able to handle several miles at a time provided her endurance has been increased.

I can't wait to see some pix.  I love husky puppies and all their fluffiness!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Running with a Husky
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:33:18 am »
What a pretty little Husky!  I want her!!  Huskies hold a special place in my heart, too, since I had so many during my childhood.

I feel a little guilty that I switched my first place love to Newfies...  As much as I love Huskies, it's all Newf, all the time for me now.

Tell you SIL we are very jealous of her!!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:48 pm »
Love the husky pup and I also love the new avatar!  Who is the 3rd brindle and how did you get them to lay together and look so cute?
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Baby C

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:36 pm »
Hi guys,
I am the SIL with the husky. 
Just wanted to give an update with running with my baby girl. Well my running is just a fast walk for her. I really did not need to worry about anything. I have taken her out for a run 4 times last week and gradually we are increasing the distance.  She loves it.
Soon she will be dragging me behind her ;)