Author Topic: We went camping with our big boys!  (Read 2368 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
We went camping with our big boys!
« on: August 14, 2005, 11:10:09 pm »

As far as we know, Phyfe (mastiff/st.) spent the first year of his life outside on a horse farm. He was perfectly content to flop down wherever, in the damp pine needles or wet grass, and happy to walk around and get his paws full of gushy mud (for later distribution into and on the human kids beds LOL).
Earnest, however (my spoiled-since-a-pup lab/dane) was, as the saying goes, NOT a happy camper. He loves hiking, that's what I raised him for, but he didn't like sleeping out one bit. He has the typical Great Dane fastidiousness . He doesn't like yucky stuff on his feet, wet grass, or cold. Although his Lab half makes him love swimming, he only likes it on hot days, and preferably in a heated pool.  Even with his own sleeping bag he complained. He put his chin on my cot with his nose next to my ear and moaned and groaned at intervals all night. During the day we strung a tarp over the picnic table and spent quite a bit of time sitting around it waiting for the showers to stop. Earnest would wander out of the tent (where he tried laying on my cot and collapsed it) and under a corner of the tarp. Then he looked with contempt at the choice of places to park his butt, and heaved a huge sigh before he deigned to sit down in such unsatisfactory circumstances.
He couldn't have said it plainer if he could speak human:
"Mom, outside at home we have grass, our own playhouse, and a beach umbrella for shade, and we NEVER stay out in the rain. Inside I have my own twin bed next to yours, Scooby-doo sheets and my own comforter- what the heck is this deal, and why are we doing it?"
The human kids didn't like it much either, guess Phyfe and I will rough it alone next time.
Here's Earnest in his element at home- I just told him he needs to get up and go potty so I can give him breakfast and leave for work:

What a diva!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:13:41 pm by mixedupdog »

Icerotti

Re: We went camping with our big boys!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 06:43:08 am »
Poor Ernest :'(
Can't say I blame him though, not much of a camper myself. Hiking well ok.
The part about the cot  collapsing is very funny ;D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 06:53:21 am »
Oh that poor lug!...lol...I am planning on taking Samson & Pippin camping when it gets a bit cooler this fall....I already know how this will go...lol...Pip pin will love it...Samson will act all abused & dejected & spend most of the time looking more bummed out that a dog ever should...He's a diva too...lol!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 09:29:55 am »
That is too funny.  :)  Back in High School, we used to go camping all the time.  Jay's parents owned 4 acres of wooded land and that was our "hangout".  My gsd/aussie mix, Tika, and my greyhound, Max, would go with us all the time.  Tika LOVED going camping, but Max usually refused to move off of the sleeping bags.  Tika even learned how to collect firewood once.  However after she helped us collecting sticks for a hour and then we turned around and lit them on fire... she was appalled!  Tika never picked up another stick for as long as we were camping.  She was a smart dog and couldn't figure why mommy & daddy burned up all her well deserved toys.  ;)  I felt bad because I hadn't even thought of it like that until she got really upset.  Poor pupper.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.