Author Topic: a mini vent  (Read 7481 times)

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
a mini vent
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:35:59 am »
As some of you may know, i've been in the market for a Newf, and have spent countless days researching breeders/clubs/you name it, and thought we had found a very good breeder!  I've been speaking with her back and forth since october, and put a down deposite on a Newfoundland pup before they were born.  They were born around xmas, and its a blended litter of landseers and newfs. i've been super excited about bringing the little thing home.  HOWEVER! (isn't there always one of these...)  today i received an email from the breeder saying she could only offer us a landseer.  I was very specific in wanting a newf, and now i feel like ive been deflated  :-[
I dont know what to do. BAH! Who would have thought it would be this difficult!

ok end of venting.
p.s  Thank you for the recommendation s on getting the dog to stop jumping, we started holding his paws while he was jumping and it worked like a miracle!!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: a mini vent
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:40:03 am »
Landseers are newfies  :) There is actually a breed mostly overseas that is called a Landseer , but if your breeder has AKC registered Newfoundlands and Landseers in the same litter , then the Landseer just refers to the coloring (black on white) and in my opinion ,they're the most beautiful  ;D I'd take it !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:55:47 am »
Ditto. Landseers are just newfs that aren't a solid color, and I also think they are even prettier than black or liver Newfoundlands! If she can give the the gender you're looking for, and you're sure all the pups are healthy and have good personalities, I'd take the puppy.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:31 am »
I understand it can be very frustrating waiting for a puppy  :( But that is what we have to do to get a nice, healthy dog from a reputable breeder. Waiting lists are a pain as most of the time you will have a litter of males while everybody is looking for females and the opposite  :( The same thing with color of the pup. And it is as frustrating to breeders  :-\
Sorry, you didn't get the pup you wanted  :'( Have you considered other breeders? It would be a good idea to get on the list of a few breeders and put a deposit down while specifying the exact sex and color of the pup you want or you deposit should be refunded. 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:05 am »
Did she say you would get a black beforehand?  I know with some breeders they won't let you ask for a color beforehand, which is too bad b/c color for me is a big factor (although not the most important one).

That is too bad.  Are you going to take a pup, wait for another litter, or go thru a different breeder?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:03:15 pm »
Sorry you feel frustrated.  :-\ Have you seen the pup? I know Landseer markings can include lots of white but some also are mostly black with white in cool places- like only on legs, chest, and tail. Check it out and who knows, you could fall in love at first sight! :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:04:04 pm »
Fargo says go with the Landseer!  They're the BEST looking Newfies!  (just don't tell his sister he said that!)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:05:43 pm by Ursa »
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:06:11 am »
i believe that a landseer is a white dog with black markings, shere an irish spotted is black with white marking. or so i have been told.

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:49:56 am »
Thanks for the understanding guys.  I think for me i just had my heart set on a black newf (and i had specified it with the breeder)so i wasn't really expecting to be told otherwise.  I think we'll take some advice and go check out the pup (its a 7 hour drive...) but i think it will be worth it, and really the main thing is that the pup is happy and healthy!
Besides all the more reason to get another one later on  ;)

lookingfornewf

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 10:13:06 am »
Thanks for the understanding guys.  I think for me i just had my heart set on a black newf (and i had specified it with the breeder)so i wasn't really expecting to be told otherwise.  I think we'll take some advice and go check out the pup (its a 7 hour drive...) but i think it will be worth it, and really the main thing is that the pup is happy and healthy!
Besides all the more reason to get another one later on  ;)
Go just to see the pup, yeah right. ::) If you're anything like me you can't go just to see a pup without bringing one home. When I got Clifford I knew I wanted a Newf, but had not done proper breeder research. I told my husband I would just go see him and if I didn't like the breeder or the answers to my questions I wouldn't get him. Well as soon as I saw him of course he was coming home with me. Fortunately the health checks, family history, guarantees etc were right. I can hardly stand to even look at puppy pictures without running to get one.
Can't wait to see pictures of your new pup.