Author Topic: Sierra the hairless Newf  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Sierra the hairless Newf
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:42:13 am »
OK, maybe she's not hairless, but she has less hair than she should!  For the first time in a long time, I have been able to sit and spend some time catching up on the BPO site and looking at all of the recent pictures everyone has put up of their kiddos.  I'm so jealous of all of the beautiful shaggy newfies who actually have the coat they are supposed to have.  LOL!

Sierra's itching seems to be under control now.  THANK GOD!!  I don't exactly know what we did different, but she doesn't itch any more than any other dog.  Now that she is not miserable and suffering anymore, my focus has shifted to the fact that her hair is not growing back!  The last time she was clipped down for a skin treatment was in August and she was clipped REALLY short, only about 1/4 an inch.  It started to grow back quickly, but now it seems to have stopped growing.  It's only about 1 1/2 inches long. 

No don't get me wrong, I still think she's the bestest Newfie that has ever existed and I wouldn't trade her for the world.  To me, my dog represents all that is good, sweet and joyful in this world.  But when I look at all of the fluffy beautiful Newfies on this site, I can't help but wish MY Newfie had a coat like that too.    :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:28:00 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

DenverFurKiddos

Re: Sierra the hairless Newf
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 01:50:19 am »
Aww!!!  Sierra is such a pretty girl, but I know what you mean!  Since Winston lost his puppy coat, it has just never grown in very thick: just barely a double coat and much thinner than his Golden Retriever brother. 

I'm wondering, products for dog's coats....I think Dream Coat was one of them.  Has anyone used any of these products with success?????

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:49 am »
i have 2 newfs. one has a shorter coat but is amazingly think and so very shiny. my older boy oz does have more length to his especially in his feathers but it is no where as thick or glorious as his little sister. both eat the same but from different breeders?  i think genetics play a major part once you take into consideration diet. ozzys coat has improved 100% since feeding grain free though. mine almost never itch, is there something there maybe??

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:48:18 am »
Clifford's coat got a lot shinier and thicker once we switched to grain free Evo. And yes once he stopped scratching bald spots too. Still don't know if they were seasonal allergies or food related but he has the most beautiful shiney coat right now. I also add salmon oil capsules to his food.
I think a lot is genetic, so enjoy your short haired Newf and go get another Newf puppy that will hopefully have a longer thicker coat. If not how could you go wrong with 2 Newfs ::) ;D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:02:57 am »
I have been trying to get to the bottom of the itching for over a year now.  We've ruled out food and seasonal allergies, mites, mange and flea allergies.  I have tried a variety of different shampoos with no luck except this cheap stuff my step-daughter bought by accident.  that seems to wok well.  The vet at this point has not been able to give a definitive answer.  Before her itching started at 9 months she had a beautiful thick, shiny coat coming in and the the length of the hair itself was a good four or inches or so.  It just seems like it stopped growing after this last clipping.  And she gets fish oil pills daily.  She thinks they are treats! ;D

And Emily, you read my mind - I have every intention of getting another pupper around August or September!  The more Newfs, the better!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:04:27 am by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 06:45:52 am »
Aww! :'( Poor Sierra!  :'( But you're right, she IS still one of the prettiest, bestest dogs out there!  I feel your pain though, Naja has NEVER had the big fluffy long coat that all the other Pyrs have.  Now mind you she was a BYB rescue, so her lineage will never be totally clear.  I'm gonna love her to peices regardless, but I do still get a little jealous when I see the giant white fluffballs of BPO in all their glorious(sp? ::)) furriness.

Don't worry, her fur will start to grow back in in full force come spring time, then you'll be following her around with a vacume cleaner trying to get rid of all the short fur as it falls off of her!  ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 02:32:44 pm »
I'm not sure if you saw my post re: food choices, since Winston has some similar issues, but another BPO'er (Patrick) asked if I had checked Winston's thyroid.  Maybe something you would want to consider??  Just a thought!
P.S.  I'm so excited to see your new pup!

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:54 pm »
And Emily, you read my mind - I have every intention of getting another pupper around August or September!  The more Newfs, the better!!

I've been working on the hubby for a second dog, but no go... maybe if I ask for a skin kid he'll get me that second dog?   :o :o I mean come on, the dog really needs a dog!  ;D

(I AM totally kidding about the skin kid threat- don't worry ;) )
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:42:57 pm »
Sorry double post, but I'm curious, was she short haired to begin with or is this newly acquired with the skin problems?
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 02:30:23 am »
Sorry double post, but I'm curious, was she short haired to begin with or is this newly acquired with the skin problems?

She had an absolutely beautiful coat coming in before the itching started.  It was thck, shiny and long.  Now it's really short and in some places it hasn't really grown back at all, like her underarm area.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 03:12:36 am »
Big dogs often have very little hair under their underarms due to constant motion. Another cause of dry listless hair is spending too much time indoors during the winter, heated air is very drying.

You have to be careful with low thyroid- it is not uncommon for there to be literally no symptoms other than a poor hair coat.  I have had 2 Petits that i had to demand a thyroid test be done cause the vet couldn't see any symptoms to indicate a problem.  Both were severely hypothyroid  One dog just had a dry coat and dry skin the other had significant hair loss and was itching like crazy but no other signs.  a third owned by a friend only had a personality change- her hair coat was fabulous (the dog not the friend :>)  If I have any doubt I have it drawn- it only costs $40 and if nothing else it eliminates that as a source of the problem.

jesday

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 04:49:31 am »
Did you mention you'd been working on the itching since Sierra was 9 months old? Sophie's problem is with staff infections on her underbelly. Very itchy, red, sores. We have been trying to get that under control since I got her at 4 months.

I misunderstood my vet and went through a course of various foods. Changing food proteins, grain free, etc. The misunderstandi ng came from me trying all these foods before she reached 1 year. Their immune systems are not fully developed until then. Don't know the scientific reason, but now I can't go back to anything I tried before. Which was pretty much everything. When she recoups from surgery, we will try yet more new food.  About all that is left for me is rabbit or kangaroo!?

Anyway, my point is you may want to wait until spring for new coat to come in and then try some other proteins you have not used. Especially now that Sierra is over a year old.

(Pretty long post for my 2 cents) :)

Good luck to you two. Glad you at least got the itching under control. If her hair doesn't come in long maybe you could enter her in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's biggest Lab. ;D   

lookingfornewf

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 06:10:02 am »

She had an absolutely beautiful coat coming in before the itching started.  It was thck, shiny and long.  Now it's really short and in some places it hasn't really grown back at all, like her underarm area.
I wouldn't worry too much. Who really wants long underarm hair anyway? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:21 am »
Hopefully come spring, I'll be joyously grumbling about all of the hair she is dropping aroudn the house.  Maybe I'm looking for problems because I find it hard to believe that there are no problems right now.  She'll be two years old this month and we've been battling issues with her for more than half of her life.  I should just chill out and enjoy my sweet, happy Newfie!

*** Modified because I'm a dork who can't remember my dog's birthday  ;D ***
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:21:50 am by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret