Author Topic: need advise  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
need advise
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:44:28 am »
I have a 6 month old New foundland, male. I have the chance of getting a 10 month old Saint Bernard. She advertised on the net( feel sorry for her). I have been told more than one dog they will run, travel. Will they get along? Do you think it is a good idea or not? she has not been fixed and no shots from what I understand, my newfy is not to be fixed until two years old. I was told by breeder this would produce a bigger head? please send advice.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: need advise
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:16:22 am »
Not a good idea unless you plan on getting one or both neutered immediately.  The comment about your Newfie getting a big head if he is neutered makes no sense -although some breeders do recommend altering at a later age to prevent orthopedic problems- the size and shape of his head comes from the parents, plain and simple.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'they will travel' but you really should have a fenced yard to contain your dogs if that is what you are referring to.  Usually but not always male-female combos will work but it all depends on the individual personalities.  You should reconsider on this and be sure other plans are in place before getting two unaltered pets.

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:46:45 am »
I planned to have the female fixed as soon as I got her. the breeder told me to have the big New foundland head I shouldn't have my male neutered until he was 2. I would love to have it done now. Advice please?

Tonda

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:12:18 am »
I grew up with Newfs (lots and lots of Newfs) and the thing about head size sounds like complete bunk to me (though I would wait till he's a 12-18 months). If you're ready to get one them altered, and they get along when they meet, go for it. If not, then wait.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:37:28 am »
I would wait and get another dog later, unless you can keep them totally apart, when and if the female comes in heat.  They are both too young, to have them surgically altered, unless you plan to do a tubal on the female, rather than a complete spay.  She needs the hormones to fully mature, just as much as your male does.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »
I emailed them and told them,sorry I counldn,t take the pup.