« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:11:20 am by NewfFan »
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lookingfornewf

Re: Newly Newf'd! Runt questions too!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:06:36 am »
I don't have any runt experience to help you with, sorry. Gilligan is so cute I don't think I would have been able to resist him. If he is healthy and eating well now I can't imagine it would be a problem. Looking forward to seeing many many many more pictures.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:22:30 am »
Well, he sounds like a fighter, that's for sure.........l ol.
I love the name gilligan, I know a chessie with that name (a girl, go figure).

I don't think I could have resisted either.  And if he's eating well and growing, I don't see why he can't thrive.  A hernia isn't an uncommen surgery although I don't know of many that had surgery that young before.  Other than that, provided he doesn't have something else going on, he should be fine.

Congrats on your soon to be new addition!  Hope you plan on posting lots of pix!!  ;)

jesday

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31:54 am »
Oh, I can't stand looking at Newf puppies! Way, way too cute!

I haven't heard of runts having any more health issues once they make it through the runt puppy sigma, being kicked out, not getting enough food. It sounds like this little guy is getting everything he needs.

In my unprofessional opinion I think you may fare even better with health issues directly related to the hugeness of this breed. Less strain on joints etc.

I would have taken him also. Heck, I probably would have taken them both.

Can't wait for more pics.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:34:53 am »
I have experience with newfs, but I have got some words of encouragement.  The breeder of my male Shiba Inu, Tonka, had a pup that required surgery to survive, she was only 4 weeks I think when she had her operation.  Well because of the recovery time, and age she went under she was about half the size of a normal Shiba, about 10lbs, full grown, BUT she was healthy, she was just small.  It sounds like the same thing happened to your guy, her mom had rejected her as well (the flung out of the whelping box part sounds like rejection IMO), but once she was healed she was fine.

Tonda

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:01:10 am »
Congrats on your new puper! I’m sure he’s going to be great.

Just FYI, runts don't always remain runts . . . my mom has a weakness for them, and we've had several of them over the years turn out to be real monsters when they reached their full growth, LOL! Sometimes once they get access to full-bore nutrition, they blossom (and sometimes they stay small, which is a joy too). Often the runt is just the mellowest pup, and they don’t push and shove for the nipple hard enough.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:36:10 am »
That reminds me...........K eiko was the runt of her litter.  she had no health problems but was def. smaller.  Not by a huge amount, but the difference was very obvious by 4 mo of age.  My friend was originally going to keep one of the pups, and by 4 mo old, he was literally twice Keiko's size.

And yeah, I chose her b/c she had a more laid back personality than the others and was taking a nap while the rest were all running around crazily.  She was a good choice for a college student....... .....lol.

Posey was the runt and stayed the runt.......... .lol.  But then she is a mini while I believe the rest turned out standards.  ;)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:42:31 am »
I can't wait to see more pictures of Gilligan!  I think it's great that the breeder is keeping him that long.  Is it their standard practice or are they keeping your little guy longer to ensure the best possible chances?  And kudos to them for assuring you that they will be there for you in the future.  You sound like a veteran BPO'er already and I'm sure the little bugger will thrive with all of the love he's going to get. Sometimes the dogs that change your life are the ones that had the least chance at life themselves...  Best wishes with your sweet little runt.  I probably would have chosen him too!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

jesday

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:27:22 am »
El'skids:
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I wanted both, but the fiance was with, and he was the voice of reason! Haha.
I've been following your posts about Sophie and she is in my prayers. Are she and Syrus brother and sister?

Ruffian-
THANKS for the story. That is whatt the breeder told me actually, because he was the same size, as I understand it, as the other pups when he was born (the appropriate length a newf pup should be, anyway), then had the surgery and is about 2-3 weeks behind in growth. So, really, your post gave me all the relief I need!

The whelping box incident is actually funny--his mama didn't reject him. He was eating and she went to stand, he being so tiny and light, held onto her and then swung a bit and was kind of lopped over the box! Poor baby.

Yep, brother and sister. Hubs had breeder bring to the house and I didn't know I was supposed to pick just one. ;)

That pic of Gilligan melts me every time I see him. It is funny about his whelp box removal. Sure sounds like a tuff little guy to me!

AudgePadge

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:41:50 am »
Aw..he's a sweetie!! I wanna see more pics too!

Well we had a German Shorthair when I was a kid, his name was Bando, he was the runt as well. Really mellow, laid back...super TINY.  By about 8 months, he just blew up, and was bigger than his siblings...nev er had any health issues, just a late bloomer...lol

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 09:34:49 am »
Hubs had breeder bring to the house and I didn't know I was supposed to pick just one. ;)

Silly hubby!  He should have known better!!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:31:05 pm »
I actually have a runt Newf myself!  Sadie is approx one month behind in growth but her mental development is right on track.  Our vet said that she may well end up being larger than her brother over time.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Viking Lady

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04:15 pm »
Congrats on your new puper! I’m sure he’s going to be great.

Just FYI, runts don't always remain runts . . . my mom has a weakness for them, and we've had several of them over the years turn out to be real monsters when they reached their full growth, LOL! Sometimes once they get access to full-bore nutrition, they blossom (and sometimes they stay small, which is a joy too). Often the runt is just the mellowest pup, and they don’t push and shove for the nipple hard enough.

So I hear! Haha. I've been researching a bit today, and it might very well be I end up with the monster in the group! I went to see him again tonight, he is such a naughty little boy! He runs around, although still falls over quite a bit, steals toys from you, tries to play tug (although we don't let him, I can't imagine playing tug with a 140+ lber), and is just over-all a menace. His 11 lb brother just slept and slept yesterday when I met them--did I pick wrong? Haha ;)

You picked a cutie. I love those little guys. I love the part where you said he still falls over quite a bit. When Luke was a few months old we would run around in the yard and he would suddenly do a summersault. He always looked at me like,"what happened?"

I'm Debbie  Welcome

lookingfornewf

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 05:10:45 pm »
Clifford is 16 mos and still a big clutz. For about the first 6 months I swear he could trip over a stick, his own feet, just about anything. We'd be at the park and he trip and then he'd just stay down like he'd been planning to do that. It was very funny and when I knew I had a laid back dog. Sounds like you have lots of fun ahead for you.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 02:19:56 am »
Clifford is 16 mos and still a big clutz. For about the first 6 months I swear he could trip over a stick, his own feet, just about anything.

Sierra too.  It took quite a while before she learned how to master the use of her own big feet.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret