Author Topic: Nipping  (Read 2815 times)

Viking Lady

Nipping
« on: January 13, 2009, 06:23:52 pm »
The last two nights when Luke was inside to hang out and play he has been nipping at me. I guess that's the best thing to call it. It's a real teeny little bite but it hurts. He hasn't done anything that hurts since he lost his baby teeth months ago. He has just put his mouth on my hand or arm, but didn't even really close his mouth. Very gentle. I have been busy the last couple days and he hasn't gotten as much of my time. It has also gotten cold outside. He comes in the house but after a while he scratches on the door to go out.

Anyway, what's the deal? Is he mad at me and wanting attention? When I can't get him to stop I make him go back outside, so he isn't getting a good reaction to the behavior.

jesday

Re: Nipping
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:50:10 am »
I'm in agreement with all. Syrus is my hand holder. His is more a need to take me someplace. He wants to hold my hand whenever we walk anywhere. It was getting annoying but kind of cute and I allowed it. Because of cold weather I usually wear gloves. The other day I just gave him my glove and he carried that like my hand. It was actually funny. Whenever I'd stop he'd stop even though he was 20 feet ahead of me. :D

But....it may be a habit you should discourage. :( As Stella says, others may not find it as endearing. I have to admit, there are times Syrus has broken my skin. I'm not sure how because he is really gentle. I must have thin skin as well.

The other issue I've had is with Sophie. I need both hands to help her out and Syrus is determined to grab one hand. "We're walking? This is what I always do? Why are you yelling at me?" I have to put him inside when taking care of Sophie.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to teach him not to do this anymore.

*Dear, sweet Ashley. This is not directed at you. You are a refined young lady as Syrus is a bullish male.*
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:51:05 am by El'skids »

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:28 am »
What he had done up until a couple days ago was exactly what you described. Hand holding is the perfect way to describe it and I considered it affection. This is real quick pokes, almost like using his front teeth. But a couple times he had my arm and he was rougher than usual.

I don't know.....my hands are in Luke's mouth alot retrieving things and looking for things I think he might have. I have always "played" with his mouth because I knew it would be huge and I wanted him to let me have access to it and I wanted to feel comfortable with it. And to tell you the truth, I love feeling those soft, floppy lips!

I'll see how he does today. I will have more time with him today.

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:13:33 am »
I guess that's what I'll do. I don't want the hand holding to stop but pooey! with this.

I wish we could get together, too, Patty. It would be fun!

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:38:47 am »
Beau will grab my arm when he feels he needs something and i just don't get it (or too play hide and seek), but you never feel his teeth. if he is doing it for attention the ouch and ignoring him may work best. Beau grabbed me wrong once and he got a ouch and a dirty look after that he looked mortified. these big babies hate being ignored so that may work best, especially if that is why he is doing it. I am sure Luke means well it just sucks that his hand has sharp edges in it...lol
~Kim
Mother of 2 young girls ages 5 & 8
Wife of 1 great man
A dog lover but I am biased towards Mastiffs
6 yr. old male brindle Mastiff Rescue named Beau (my Velcro dog)
< 1 yr. Old Male Fawn Mastiff Named Sanuk
10 year old chihuahua named Zoomer
1 yr old Blue fronted Amazon named Kitty

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:29:02 pm »
He hasn't done anything that hurts since he lost his baby teeth months ago. He has just put his mouth on my hand or arm, but didn't even really close his mouth. Very gentle. I have been busy the last couple days and he hasn't gotten as much of my time.

Could just be pent up energy! Lots of dogs get chewy when they have to much energy to spend and no way to spend it. Maybe a long hike/walk or park visit would do it?
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.