Author Topic: Brrrrrrrrr!  (Read 9456 times)

Viking Lady

Brrrrrrrrr!
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:02:55 am »
Our temperatures tonight and tomorrow night are going to be around 9 degrees. I know some of you are accustomed to that so I shall not whine.

But, having a dog who prefers to spend the night out and will be spending two nights indoors I need to "entertain" him until he is willing to go to sleep. I have frozen marrow bones, which he loves to lie around and chew on, but inside there is carpet to think about.

Every night I try to get him to lie down and just hang out with me either in the office while I work or in the den, watching TV. He doesn't like to lie down evidently. He likes to prowl around and look for things to eat. Kinda like me.

Viking Lady

Re: Brrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:02:31 pm »
We do have a Kong but he gets the treats out so fast it doesn't occupy him for long. I'll try to find some trickier treats.

Alot of you talk about your babies lying around at your feet or on the couch with you. That's what I want to teach him to do.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:14 pm »
We taught Kira and Gunner the "down, stay" command when we are watching tv or have company over and dont want them in our faces. 
It took patience with Kira but Gunner got the hang of it quite quickly.
They usually stay there for awhile and if they get rowdy we try giving them bully sticks or other chewies to occupy them for a little.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:57 am »
Yep cold here too. -23 with wind chill. Luckly Athena will romp back and forth with a stuffed toy and then lay down with a dinosaur bone and chew for a couple of hours.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 04:53:10 am »
was -48C yesterday here... -40C today. NOBODY wants to go outside to poo. jigsaw especially.  grrr LOL she spends most of her day cozy and warm cuddled up in her bed... so going outside to that, brrrr.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:48:31 am »
It was -29C here last night, I saw a 6? month old kitty wandering around >:( No chance of catching it...some people just shouldn't have pets.

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:49 am »
This week the actual temperature was between -32F and -43F for about 3 days, and thats not with -60F wind chills.
Good thing my pupper isn't home yet! :)

Stay warm everyone!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:50 pm »
I can't say much about the weather because y'all are so much colder than me.  Stay warm!

But marrow bones, cow hooves, and bully sticks are my friend when I want the pups to lay still.  Mine don't like the kong even with good stuff frozen in them and Kaila doesn't like treat balls because it's not instant enough gratification for her.  ::) (She takes after me so much)  ;)  The other thing is I will train them for stays and downs while I am watching tv.  I just keep the treats beside me and click and treat when they settle down.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »
All Bear & I can say is lucky you. It is still in the 80s here and I'm getting seriously tired of the a/c 24-7. Good luck tiring the pupper out.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:25 pm »

But, having a dog who prefers to spend the night out and will be spending two nights indoors I need to "entertain" him until he is willing to go to sleep.

How about a mild sedative?  ;D

I say peanut butter is your friend, we but some in a kong and freeze it so it lasts all day.
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:29:54 pm »
Hah! I've been trying to think of one. I have gone with the marrow bones and they last the longest. But I've never tried frozen peanut butter. He did well last night except he somehome sneaked into the guest room and slept on the bed in there. Tonight he settled right in on his torn up blanket with another bone and I came in here to get on BPO. I just peeked at him a few minutes ago and he and the bone were up on my bed getting marrow crap all over my bedspread. I just came back in here and left him alone. I'll wash it tomorrow and hope it comes clean.

Can't wait for spring!!

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:18 pm »
This week the actual temperature was between -32F and -43F for about 3 days, and thats not with -60F wind chills.
Good thing my pupper isn't home yet! :)

Stay warm everyone!

RIDICULOUS!! Where do you live?? That may help me feel warmer at work tonight...or maybe -31C is cold enough :-\

Haha, yes it is ridiculous! I live in northern MN, right by the Canadian boarder! It's supposed to hit around 30F early this week though, everyone will be outside without a jacket! :D
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Viking Lady

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 08:25:26 pm »
Gosh....you may be even warmer than we are. I heard we are colder in Alabama right now than Alaska. I need a fireplace and a deck of cards.

Viking Lady

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:49:49 am »
Let's go to Holly's house!! 8) :)