Author Topic: Good Boy Syrus  (Read 7064 times)

jesday

Good Boy Syrus
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:30:30 am »
With Sophie down for awhile I've been trying to exercise Syrus a bit more with walks around our loop. It's about a mile of semi-paved road surrounded by woods and fields.

An advantage this time of year is that the road is bare, but snow berms are still high. It kind of makes a nice gauntlet.

Syrus' nose is to the ground and I can see over the berms for any deer close by. I can make a motion with my arms and they are gone before we get close enough for Syrus to get excited.

Today we came around a curve and there is a deer standing right in the middle of the road 20 feet in front of us. Does it do like most intelligent deer and hop the berm and bound gracefully into the woods and brush? No, the dumb thing starts running down the road, white tail flagging in his face saying, "Come get me! Come get me!"

Syrus takes off after it. I'm thinking, here we go. How fast can I run in these snow boots? I yell, "Syrus - NO! STAY - COME! :o

The boy actually stopped!! He didn't come to me, but he stayed where he was. He was whimpering, "Oh mom, please, please. Ooohh please let me chase it. It wants me to. See, it's waving at me." But he stayed put until I caught up and attached his leash. (which, thank goodness he dropped when he saw the deer. He carries his own leash which doesn't do me a lot of good when its in his mouth. ::)

I'm just thrilled he waited. :D Would he have reacted the same if Sophie was with us? I'm thinking that's a resounding no. ;D

Offline Gracey Lou

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Good Boy Syrus
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:40:39 am »
I love when things like that happen. Its like a small victory in a way. Makes you feel good when they listen like that. Even though a big part of him was screaming ' OOOOOhhhh but I just want to chase it a little mom!!!!'
Part Cane Corso, part St.Bernard.... .ALL LOVE!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:50:09 am »
I hope he got lots of praise for that one. Clifford still only comes when he wants to. Good for Syrus.

KBNewf

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:29 am »
What a good boy! Elizabeth, I think our man needs a few more treats today.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:10:03 pm »
Good boy Syrus!!! 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:11:39 pm »
that is way too funny.  I'm afraid to think of what would happen if he caught up to a deer.  what a good good boy

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:49:05 pm »
I guess I just figured he would chase it forever and you'd have to find him. I don't want to appear "city girl", but what would have happened? The deer is faster, right?

PS I think it's hilarious that he carries his own leash.

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:18 pm »
Syrus wants to know why you're so surprised he listened? ;)
I can picture him carrying his leash, how cute! You really should get a picture of it for us.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

jesday

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:28:57 am »
I guess I just figured he would chase it forever and you'd have to find him. I don't want to appear "city girl", but what would have happened? The deer is faster, right?

PS I think it's hilarious that he carries his own leash.

Not in a million years could Syrus or any Newf for that matter have caught a deer. :D (Unless injured of course).

lorim2

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:39:05 am »
Wow thats really awesome that he stopped!  I am not sure either one of mine would have stopped at all.  I would still be trying to find them ;)  Good boy Syrus!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:16:22 am »
I can't tell you how impressed I am!  What a good boy!  Both of my dogs take off after squirrels or rabbits and there's no listening to anyone when that happens!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:50:49 am »
Yep that big boy deserves some extra treats. I'll bet the deer was surprised as well!!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:57:00 am by vmimom2006 »
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

jesday

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:12 am »
When they were pups of about 5 months old last winter, we went for a short walk on lower portion of our property. They'd been playing hard all day and this was a short potty break. I was so sure they were spent. No leashes, no cell phone (which I always carry on walks)coat and gloves, but not snow apparel. Jack was out of town and it's dusk.

Deer pops out and they take off after it over the hill into National Forrest land. Major expletives! I take off after them and try to keep them in my sight. Snow is thick so they are having trouble as well. We are a pack of energizer bunnies. We keep going and going. It's starting to get dark, we are getting farther and farther away from home. Then poof - they're gone. Then poof poof, I step into a snow covered ravine and sink up to my arm pits in the snow. I'm stuck. Sopping wet jeans and no cell phone. No one knows where I am and would have no cause to even start looking in this direction, we never take the pups down here.

One of the few times in my life I was thinking I may be in serious trouble. Fluctuation of course to worry about the bubs. They were micro-chipped but what good does that do if they get lost in a forest?

Out of nowhere pops two black blobs and they swarm over me, licking my face. "Hi mom! Whatcha doing down here? Wasn't the the funnest thing ever? What are we doing now? Huh?" By grabbing them both and the energy they still had I was able to pull myself out of the snow.

I cried all the way home and they slept for two days. That portion of our property has since been fenced off. But..to me it make Syrus just that much more a good boy. ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:38:14 am by El'skids »

jesday

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:38:54 am »
goofed, sorry didn't mean to post again
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:41:37 am by El'skids »

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:49:48 am »
I can't imagine what must have been going through your head.  I would have been in such a panic, like I lost one of my skin kids!  What wonderful pups for coming back to look for you and rescuing you!  Thank God you have them.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer