Author Topic: Mix breeding on purpose what are your views?  (Read 16181 times)

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Mix breeding on purpose what are your views?
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:49 pm »
When me and my boyfriend were looking for breeders of giant breeds in my area we found a breeder that constantly mixed her dogs. I'm not gonna say any names and I love mixed breed dogs if it was an accident and the owner knows that but to keeping mixing dogs and charging pure-bred prices seems a bit wrong to me. The breeder I'm talking about started as a Saint Bernard breeder and still sells registered saints but she now also has her saints, a newfy, a great per., and a old english sheepdog. She constantly mixes and matches her dogs and sells the puppies for $400+ a puppy. Her last batch she had puppies that were 6 months and no buyers so she had to lower her prices. Yet she keeps popping out more puppies. What do you think about this?
Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

jesday

Re: Mix breeding on purpose what are your views?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »
Not a fan of hap-hazard breeding, but $400 is not a purebred price. Most purebreds of these breeds run upwards of $1000.

Hate the practice no matter what she charges.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:17:12 pm »
She doesn't sound like a responsible breeder to me.  If there were a reason she was doing this, that's one thing.  But if she's mixing and matching constantly like you say, then there is no rhyme nor reason to it.  And that is wrong on so many levels.  >:(

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:24:46 pm »
I'm the wrong person to answer.......b ut I'm gonna anyway.

I love mutts. I had a lab/collie mix who was wonderful in every possible way. My three oldest kids grew up with him and he was everything from a protector of them and our property, to a big pillow that they laid on. But, now some people will hate this, his mother was a collie and his father was a yellow fellow down the road. It was a natural event.

My daughter has a puppy that she paid $$$ for and I can't even remember what the little guy is. It either ends with poo or tsu or doodle. I don't know. But this breeder did the same thing, mixed 'em up. Seems weird to me.

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »
She charges 600 for limited registration on her saint bernards and 800 for full registration. Her mixed breed puppies she sells for 400. I just think its irresponsible. And she keeps getting/adopting more giant breed dogs to add to her mixing/breeding group.

Don't get me wrong I love mixed breed dogs. Both of my current companions are mixed. But they were not planned litters. They happened and then the parents were fixed. But to keep breeding different breeds to each other constantly doesn't make sence.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:29:10 pm by BritnyLe »
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Viking Lady

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:35:06 pm »
Not a fan of hap-hazard breeding, but $400 is not a purebred price. Most purebreds of these breeds run upwards of $1000.

Hate the practice no matter what she charges.

Uh...........I might have accidently gotten generic.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:37:30 pm »
It is people's fault that breeder's like her exist!
If they went to the shelter instead and adopted poor mutts instead of paying $400 it would discourage mixed breeding  :-\ And let me tell you $400 is a LOT for mixed breed puppy that is not spayed. Those people do get quite a profit  >:(
I am SOOO against these practices  >:( >:( >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:13:29 pm »
That is so wrong on so many fronts~!  Sounds more like a backyard breeder than a reputable one~!

I do have to admit that I got Woody from someone who purposely bred their German Shorthair (AKC champ at that) with the Weimarainer/Lab mix from next door, 'cause they "thought it would make for cute puppies"~!  >:(  In any case for that, I only had to pay $20 for him.  If those idiots didn't do that, I wouldn't have had my great Momma's boy for the last 13 years.

Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:47:36 pm »
I'm posting a link below to her site. I have never personally met her but I tried to email her multiple times to talk to her about her saint bernard puppies and she responded once with a generic email stating price and info listed on her site and never responded after that.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:12:54 pm by DaneInsane »
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

jesday

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:52:16 pm »
I'm the wrong person to answer.......b ut I'm gonna anyway.

I love mutts. I had a lab/collie mix who was wonderful in every possible way. My three oldest kids grew up with him and he was everything from a protector of them and our property, to a big pillow that they laid on. But, now some people will hate this, his mother was a collie and his father was a yellow fellow down the road. It was a natural event.

My daughter has a puppy that she paid $$$ for and I can't even remember what the little guy is. It either ends with poo or tsu or doodle. I don't know. But this breeder did the same thing, mixed 'em up. Seems weird to me.

Not bashing the mixed breed by any means. Love them all. It's the deliberateness of it that is bothersome. With so many mixed out there already, to purposely create more is not responsible. Reputable breeders are careful to match healthy animals, whereas the backyard breeder mating willy-nilly has such potential to create pups with lifetime health issues, particularly with the large breeds.

Aack, thump - I just fell off my soap box.  :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:02:23 pm »

Just a classic backyard breeder....... ...with every red flag and BYB indicator there is.  Such a shame and sites like this one are always hard for me to look at, but I could post 50 more just like them unfortunately.

The sickest part of the entire breeding practice in this case is she is breeding without any genetic research or knowledge of what she is mixing, no health certifications from any of the breeds, and she is breeding underage dogs. I noticed her new Saint is being bred at just over a year of age - while he is not yet full grown, and still a baby - completely unethical.

Ugh!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:16:46 pm »
I'm appalled that she would do this and charge those prices!  I'm not a fan of designer dogs in general.  For example, a Labrador is a wonderful dog just the way it is.  How does adding a "doodle" improve the breed?  

I have nothing against mixed breeds.  Probably the best dog I've ever had was a mixed breed that came from the pound.  I'm sure that he wasn't the product of a planned breeding though.   

A responsible breeder will work to improve their breed - not to make a buck.   I can't see how this person is improving anything.  
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:43:36 pm »
I have to wholeheartedly agree with most of you. I will likely always have mutts, but will NEVER pay $400 for them from someone who is making mutts on purpose just to make a buck.

This is NOT anything near responsible breeding. Someone should hog tie her and drag her down to the animal shelter so she can see all the mutts that are already needing homes before she decides to make more.

This breeder disgusts me.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:24:51 pm »
It's sad too that although this lady does not sound like a mill, just a VERY irresponsible breeder, there are people like her everyone, and mills too. In my little town of 2500 people there is a lady who runs a mill, and breeds anything and everything. Police have been notified, AKC, animal welfare, etc. etc. She gets told what she has to do, agrees to do it, and no one ever does a follow up. She even has a sign in her yard that says, "Multiple puppies for sale at all times." Disgusting, and especially disgusting when no one does anything.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 02:18:43 am »
I love mutts. And I have a great hatred for what this woman is doing. Mixing dogs without thought of consequence. My parents just got a puppy from a lady just like this one. She had a PB corgi and decided to make some money by breeding her at 14 months to a mini aussie. I let my parents know straight up this was horrible to be supporting this lady. Their response was they couldn't change what happened and the puppy was free. The lady charged 200 for the rest of the litter.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08