Author Topic: Someone please  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Someone please
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:44:17 pm »
help me. Gibson(a 6 month old New Foundland)is always biting at my hands. Not to hurt me but it is driving me nuts. Sometimes I sit on my hand just so he won't nipe at them. He doesn't bite to hurt just nipes. Is it because the treats come from my hand?

lins_saving_grace

Re: Someone please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:02:54 pm »
they say that biting can be discouraged.  this can be done firmly by taking his snot the next time he nips and sueezing till he yelps.  usually it only needs to be done once.   you could smack his nose too.  but like kids who bite and parents who have had to use the same tactics to stop it, dogs need to be told in ways they understand that biting is not tolerated.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:06:47 pm »
I've been away from BPO for awhile, so first, welcome!  

Cassie was a big "nipper" when we first adopted her, so I relate.  It wasn't an aggressive thing with her either, just something she did when she was trying to get our attention or was feeling super playful, but very annoying & sometimes painful.  When she'd do it, we'd say "no, mouth!" and then hold our hands near our chest and immediately turn our back on her.  I didn't want to use the term "bite" b/c I was afraid that others would get the idea that she was doing it aggressively.   We'd keep our backs turned to her for from a few seconds up to 1/2 minute or so, or until she settled down.  Once she'd sit or stand still and look puzzled ("why aren't you playing with me, Mom?"), we'd turn back to her and praise her quietly and give her a pet or treats.  We did the same thing if she jumped on us (except we said "no jump!").

I was very happy with this method b/c it was totally gentle (very important to me!) and she learned very quickly!  Within a week or two she was quite reliable.  From then on she has seldom nipped or jumped, but when she does, we just handle it the same way and then she remembers.  :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Sierras Pet

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:34:33 pm »
Sierra was a biter when we first got her at 8 weeks, usually when we'd be playing. now at 6+months she's learned "don't bite me" and I've also been known to subsitute a toy for my hand.
My daughter works at petsmart and when she asked the trainers about it they suggested putting a bit of honey or jelly on your hand and say "kiss" teaching to give kisses instead of nibbles
good luck, I know how even in play puppy teeth can draw blood!
Valerie - Den mother to
Lady - Shepard/retriever mx 12 yr
Sierra - Great Pyrenees - 6 months

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:01 am »
Try re-direction. This worked for Tink. She was always chewing hands, but had a "soft mouth".

When you are near her and she starts "nipping" re-direct by putting a toy in her mouth and play tug, get her interested in it an praise her.

Repitiion is the key, don't expect instant results overnight. Tink is 12 months old now and still will take your hand in her mouth (gently) when she wants your attention or you have stopped petting her.

Her mouthing should not "hurt" and you should not let her "play" with your hands. I also had success with the get up, turn away and snub her for nipping you. The instant she stops and "settles" try again and praise her if she doesn't do it. Rewards and praise must be instant, especially with puppers so they get the idea you are trying to convey.

Good Luck.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 07:33:55 am »
There are a lot of great posts in this thread!  I thought that I'd share a wonderful teaching video that I stumbled across on YouTube.  I am definitely going this route with my new pup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc&feature=channel_page

(bear with it, it take about 45 sec for the training part to start)

I've started delving back into studying new dog training info since we're *expecting* our puppy to come home in a couple more weeks.  Its interesting to see how methods grow and change slightly over the years.

Good luck with your pup!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.