Author Topic: Head shaking/ ear problem??  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Head shaking/ ear problem??
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:01:36 am »
Hello!

Tucker is almost 11 months old, and the past couple days he has been shaking his head A LOT.  Sometimes, several times a day.

I thought this could be a symptom of dirty ears, something stuck in his ears, fur in there needing to come out- obviously a sign of something wrong.  So we cleaned his ears, looked in there with a flashlight- and found nothing.

He's at the groomers today, so they'll remove any fur that's got in there, plus do an extra good job of cleaning (as hubby and I are not great at it yet)...so I figure if Tucker comes home today and the head shaking continues, its time for a vet visit right?

Hubby thinks I'm overreacting, but I figure if he's got an ear infection- that's bad and needs to be looked at.

Any thoughts?  What else could be causing the head shaking?
Thanks!
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Head shaking/ ear problem??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:02 am »
So pardon my ignorance as I am the absent minded executive on some things but where does one find Boric Acid and Betadine antiseptic?  Target or Walgreens carry these things & if so where? 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline COMARRO

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:32:39 am »
Hi!

I would also like to know the same thing. Do you know if there is a big difference in a home made ear cleaning solution compared to the store bought solution??

Thank You

Cheri

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:34:16 am »
the recipe that i have is 16 drops of genitain violet (found at CVS behind counter) 4 tablespoon boric acid (found behind cvs counter) and 16 oz alcohol. It is called the blue powder solution. YOu can google it and find more about how to use it appropriately. Highly recommended by my vet and the mastiff world too

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:58:46 am »
Thanks for these receipes!!  Teddy always has trouble with his ears....the latest thing we have been trying is a solution our vet made up just for us....from the large animal clinic (main ingredient is Beytril)!  LOL!  But, with the amount of infections my big boy gets, I'm gald to add these 2 recipes to the collection!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:08:33 am by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:26:18 pm »
too much cleaning can make an ear infection worse.  don't put peroxide in it no matter what.  that breaks down into water and creates a worse infection.
if you've had it treated at the vet with no luck, than see if you can get more ear drops and a steroid pill to boost the healing.   you can clean the outside of the ear with rubbing alcohol to dry up any moisture from the gunk. 
ear wax builds up in the ear canal near the ear drum and you can't see it because a dog's ear canal bends before the ear drum.