Author Topic: Monty's Near-Death Experience...and it's MY fault :(  (Read 28511 times)

AudgePadge

Monty's Near-Death Experience...and it's MY fault :(
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »
First of all...He's gonna be okay!
But this is all my fault... :'(

Monty and I went to go run some errands and what not.  We pull up at the Pet Supplies store, and I get out of the car, and open Monty's door to let him out. I was on the phone, I wasn't paying attention. He hopped out, and I grabbed the leash, next thing I hear is tires, yelp and the most awful *bump* sound.

I turned around and some lady in a sedan was pulling into the parking spot right next to me....right where Monty was standing...

I screamed, and looked under the car, and there's my baby. He's stuck under the front bumper...he's scratching and crying, so I crawl under there and I pull him out.

I don't really remember what happened after that, but the lady in the car came out screaming, and crying.  I guess I wouldn't let anybody touch him.  Miraculously, he stands up!!!!  Monty sits on my lap, and starts growling at everyone around us.  I'm a total MESS... I took him to the vet, and we do the whole nine...

Mister Monty, my super dog...came out after 6 hours of being at the vet... with bruised ribs, and some scrapes and a broken nail... No  broken bones, internal bleeding--nothing.

I can't believe I let this happen, I feel terrible. I went to the store, and bought him some filet mignon and his favorite...spi nach pizza (don't ask me why he loves that stuff so much)  Then he got like...15 new stuffed animals and a new bed.  He's not allowed to rough house for awhile...but.. .I don't think he minds the pampering

I feel so awful you guys..I'm the WORST dog-mom ever.  When I think about what could've happened, I just lose it.

Anyway...sorry it's so long, I feel so bad.  How could I let this happen?? What is the matter with me? Ugh, I'm disgusted with myself...

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Monty's Near-Death Experience...and it's MY fault :(
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:15 pm »
OH NO!! Poor Monty, but thank goodness he's made of rubber!

Don't beat yourself up. Monty is ultimately OK and you know you'll NEVER be distracted with him again. And, look at it this way, you've given all the rest of us a big wake up call. How many times have any one of us done the same thing?

I'm glad he's ok and being sufficiently spoiled.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:03:08 pm »
I'm so glad too that Monty is ok. I know that had to be so scary!

You're not a bad mom. This is awful but, back in the 70's when they had those awful four legged walkers for babies, I was sitting on the front porch with my 9 month old daughter in the walker. I was sitting right next to her, talking on the phone, and she gave one sudden push with her feet and tipped off the edge of the porch. I grabbed the walker and almost flipped her out of the thing. She didn't fall out or hit the ground but it scared me to death!

I think it's Alexander Graham Bell's fault.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:04:11 pm by Viking Lady »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »
I'm glad to hear that Monty is okay.  it happens to the best of us, don't beat yourself up.  And he got the best deal out of it too.......lol. 

You're not a bad mom. This is awful but, back in the 70's when they had those awful four legged walkers for babies, I was sitting on the front porch with my 9 month old daughter in the walker. I was sitting right next to her, talking on the phone, and she gave one sudden push with her feet and tipped off the edge of the porch. I grabbed the walker and almost flipped her out of the thing. She didn't fall out or hit the ground but it scared me to death!

had to laugh at this one though........ .lol.  When i was in a walker, my brother left the basement door open and down I went.  Miraculously, i was uninjured.  Just one of the many mishaps I had around the house at the hands of family members....... ......lol.  ::) ::)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »
you are definately not a bad dog mom. no way! get that thought out of your head...
Im so glad he is ok... give him a kiss for me.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »
I'm so glad Monty is ok!
And, like another poster said, you gave us all a nice reminder! You're not a bad dog mom, in fact with all the pampering Monty is getting I'd say you're dog mom of the month!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:33:52 pm »
Good to hear Monty is OK, how very scary for you. It certainly could have happened to me. I can't even count how many times Annie and occasionally Clifford will get out the front door of the house and I go hysterical, worried they will get hit by a car. Once when I had a small accident in a parking lot, I jumped right out to see what had happened and of course Annie ran out without me even noticing. Nothing happened thankfully. It doesn't make you a bad dog mom, things happen to the best of us. Now you may be a little over indulgent ;D Pizza, steak, new toys and bed? He was probably more worried about you being upset than anything. Sounds like you need a treat, maybe a little something liquid in a bottle. Now go relax and continue spoiling Monty.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 04:57:07 pm »
How scarey!!   That lady could have been paying more attention pulling into the parking spot you know.  I'm glad he's ok.  I would have freeked too.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 03:46:46 am »
How scary for you and Monty!  Glad to hear that everything turned out okay.

You are NOT a bad mom though.  That could have happened to any of us here. 

Go give Monty a big feel better kiss from his friends here on BPO! :-*

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

jesday

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 04:08:28 am »
I'm with everyone with the "Hooray for Monty being okay" Whew!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sure each and every one of us has a similar story about one of our kids or pets. How very scary for you. :o :o

In the context of this being 'an accident' I do have compassion for the driver as well. She was obviously mortified as I'm sure any of us would be had we been the driver. Toddlers, bubs, even parking lot birds can be so hard to see around other parked cars etc. I wish there were a way to let her know Monty is okay. I bet she is reliving the incident over and over without benefit of knowing the outcome. :-[

Audrey, we all know what a good mom you are and how much you love your Monty.  :-*

AudgePadge

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 04:57:23 pm »
you guys are the greatest... ;D  I still feel really bad- Monty doesn't though, I don't think.  He's been strutting around enjoying all the attention.

Monty thanks you for the hugs n kisses n well wishes.  I thank you all for being so awesome, I don't know how I ever lived without you guys...  :-*  I guess, I'll just take it as a learning experience.  Thank goodness nothing terrible happened, and all is well... Love you all!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:18:56 am »
Poor Montey! I am sooooo glad the big guy is ok! And I think you are a fabulous MOM!! I want to come live with you and the pizza and steak and new bed and new toys!  ;D
Your wonderful; accidents happen and we have no control over these things! So happy he is fine and "recovering" well!!
Lots of Love!!
Adrienne & Titan

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:51:36 am »
Poor Monty!  Thank God he's only going to be sore for a few days.  Audrey, it's blatantly obvious how much you love your kids.  Please don't look at this as anything more than it is - an accident.  There have been so many things that have happened with Sierra that I have kicked myself over, thinking "what if it was worse?".  This could have happened to any one of us.  You are not to blame.

What I would like to know, if this woman was pulling into a parking space, how fast was she going that the result was poor Monty under her car?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

AudgePadge

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:34:30 am »

What I would like to know, if this woman was pulling into a parking space, how fast was she going that the result was poor Monty under her car?

She was turning the corner pretty fast.  The parking spot was quite large, but then again...so is Monty.  She stopped, and the fat boy got wedged under the bumper  :(

BUT..he's doing much better, the others are a little jealous that he's been getting too much attention. But, thanks again for your kind words, and thoughts.  :-*