Author Topic: Good thoughts please  (Read 2723 times)

Offline aggghgmom

  • BPO Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1120
    • View Profile
Good thoughts please
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:29:18 pm »
Good morning everyone!!

I just got a phone call from my neighbor and really good friend that they just had to leave Rusty their 6 year old dog at the emergency vet because he has eaten some raisens.  Rusty is not only Harleys very favorite friend (except me) but a beloved family pet and her sons service dog (Zach has autism - Rusty is trained to find him when he wanders off and so many other jobs).

The emergency vet said the amount injested makes it boarder line - they are pumping his stomach and giving him charcoal -

I know the power of BPO thoughts and we could really use some - I can't believe anything would happen to sweet Rusty so I am being upbeat and positive in my thoughts that he will be OK.


Offline NewfFan

  • Big Paw Certified
  • **
  • Posts: 263
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »
I'm praying as I type this!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline Amy (guffer)

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 173
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:59:00 pm »
Sending healing thoughts to poor Rusty.  Please keep us updated. 

Offline Akitamom08

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 102
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:21:48 pm »
I am sending my good thoughts and prayers to them!!

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline MagicM3

  • Paw-meister
  • **
  • Posts: 559
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:06:09 am »
All good thoughts and angels speeding their way

Offline aggghgmom

  • BPO Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1120
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please - UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:10:34 am »
Well Rusty is holding his own - he is very tired and
calm (his Mom thought he would be nervous being away from Zach).  He has to stay in the animal hospital until at least tomorrow at noon.  But things are looking good

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all the well wishers for the thoughts and prayers I think the BPO good vibes worked again!!

Randy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:11:24 am by aggghgmom »

Offline GoldenPyrs

  • Supreme Drooler
  • ****
  • Posts: 1681
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:39:11 am »
Oh wow!  I was just posting when you posted this update.  I'm so happy that he's holding his own now.  We went through the raisin scare last year ourselves, so when I read your original post my heart sank.  I am very happy to say though that in our case the pups all recovered very well and they're playing here beside me as I type.  Though like Rusty, they were very tired and subdued for a few days, poor babies.   :'(  So I'm hoping for the best for sweet Rusty, too.  I'll be praying for Rusty and his family and I'll continue to watch for more news.  Please let them know that they're in our thoughts & prayers.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

  • BPO Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1120
    • View Profile
Re: Good thoughts please
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »
This is a copy of the e-mail that my neighbor sent to her friends and contacts in her address book.  I have chosen to post it here because it does have good information and because you were all so AWESOME in your good thoughts and prayers for Rusty:

As some of you already know, Rusty is at the hospital. He will be fine but we had a scare for a day due to Rusty eating a handful of raisins.  Raisins and Grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause renal failure.  Rusty does not usually eat people food so this would not have been an issue. However, I was stupid and gave him some of the raisins I was eating last night.  He began passing gas (and Rusty has never had gas) and for some reason it triggered me to look up “dogs and raisins.”  (I am sure this is because someone had mentioned this to me before but I had forgotten.)

The 24 hour Emergency Vet had me call the poison control for animals.  The vet at poison control said we needed to take Rusty in. Rusty had to have his stomach pumped last night and will have an IV for 48 hours to ensure his kidneys are flushed of whatever the toxins from raisins are removed from his body.  We are blessed that Rusty will be ok but this was a very costly lesson learned.  Our vet bill will be about $1,500.00…all because of a handful of raisins that cost less than 50 cents.

Please share this with your friends. I would hate for this to happen to someone else.  (As much as we hate to have these types of emails because many are myths, I  assure you this is not a myth.)