Author Topic: BRYCE MAYBE A LITTLE TO PROTECTIVE?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
BRYCE MAYBE A LITTLE TO PROTECTIVE?
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:42:22 am »

When i dropped Bryce off at school Friday he is excited as always! They had so much ice build up on the roof the workers were scurrying to get it off. I had my hands full of Bandannas they are going to sell at the school and one of the roof men went to hold the door for me and as he reached up to touch the door behind me Bryce saw him lift his arm up behind me to hold the door and he must of thought he was going to do something to me turned around so fast i didn't see it coming knocked me down and bit a hole throw the the mans glove! Shocking but true i never let go of him and the man backed off real fast i got up and told Bryce he was very bad. I gave him to the teacher who missed the whole thing thank god and came back and told the man i was sorry i think he was embarrassed and angry i explained to him that Bryce was very protective of me and he might of thought he was going to hurt me.Later when i came to pick him up one of the teachers told me the man would like a new pair of gloves oh lord please he is lucky he had them on! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

lins_saving_grace

Re: BRYCE MAYBE A LITTLE TO PROTECTIVE?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:43:30 pm »
Oh my god!  It's almost nice to know the pups will protect us.  but it is a curse at the same time.  There's got to be a way to curb the over protectivenss or teach him to judge what is and what is not a threat. 
I'm so sorry...this must be so frustrating for you. 
Is he fixed or not?  Do you think that has anything to do with a dog's behavior either male or female anyway?

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:30:54 pm »

It seems to be more male but at the same time anyone that he doesn't know is a threat to me. That is scary to me!
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Mab and Angus cool cats

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:37:25 pm »
grace does that too.  she's more leary of men than women.  she doesn't discriminate a whole lot.  she'll growl at women too.  she's just more intense around men.  i've heard female dogs think they're people are their puppies and it's a motherly instinct they have.   that and being a rott, she's got that protection instinct too. 
i'm wondering if your teacher at class can show you how to posture yourself differently to make Bryce think it's ok to not be so protective. 
The way the Dog Whisperer talks, it's just as much out behavior as it is the dog's.  I notice that the more autoritative I stand or the more relaxed I feel, the less aggressive Grace is.  Not that you weren't relaxed, but maybe he felt since you were looking at something else, he needed to take over watch for a bit.  just an idea.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:32 am »
you'll feel so much better and more relaxed when he unlearns that behavior.   it's bad enough our dogs' sizes intimidate people without worrying about what happens if they get too close.  i bet he can sense your tension and that may be part of his reaction to people.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:08 am »
you'll feel so much better and more relaxed when he unlearns that behavior.   it's bad enough our dogs' sizes intimidate people without worrying about what happens if they get too close.  i bet he can sense your tension and that may be part of his reaction to people.

Thanks for all your input and most of all thank you Lin for you advice and KINDNESS. The work men at the school had been warned about Bryce and that he is very protective when they come into certain areas of the school they move the dogs into other areas sometimes they ask them if they mind or should they move them. They think it's funny a game when you have 190 + on you it's not a game.Bryce does not like to be teased. Marina
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Mab and Angus cool cats

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:39:48 am »
i am a firm believer that dogs can sense in a person wether or not they like, trust, or want to be greeted by a dog (big or small).  I think that's why people avoid meeting Grace and that's fine with me.  She can tell which ones are up for her as a rott and which ones are not.  it's a bruden some of us bear.  i'm all about going up to most dogs and don't give them the sense about me that i'm a threat and they react well to that.  put a pitbull, rott, mastif, german shepard and a golden retriever in a group and have a person pick which one they are most comfortable going up to with no sense of fear, and I'm sure they'd pick the golden 9 times out of 10.  not so intimidating for some reason.
you'll be fine...just hang in there and work hard at whatever needs to be done to readjust his way of thinking and yours.  :)