BPO Puppy Forum > FAQs about puppies

Dominance

<< < (2/2)

lookingfornewf:
I learned something new today, BPO is so good for that. Clifford did that to my sister's lab. I thought Clifford just wanted to play. He kept putting his head up on the labs shoulder and the lab did take offense and kept barking at him. I thought her lab was just old and crabby and didn't want to play. I didn't realize Clifford was trying out his dominance skills. Fortunately he just got barked at and didn't remotely get a clue, he continued to do it until I called him in. We only see them once or twice a year, but I will watch for this behavior with Clifford and other dogs.

MagicM3:
isn't human intervention problematic?

NO is is not..especiall ly if the humans involved know what to do..

Prevention here is very simple..as was explained..

It also wasn't explained if it was happening with dogs known or unknown..

Within a family ..meaning multiple dogs in a family..this kind of thing is usually worked out between them..fairly quickly..but it should never be allowed IMO outside of family..and if it becomes a problem in the family then the same applies..

Tricia and the fur kids

maxsmom:
Some dogs will not teach the dog that this is unacceptable in a manner that is kind or thoughtful.  In dog parks for instance, you have unknown dogs, who may have major issues with any show of dominance and simply attack.  As stated the best defense is a strong offense.  I don't take my dogs to dog parks anymore for this reason.  Max could care less, but Cody will not tolerate any show of dominance, growling, snarling, humping, body stand overs, etc.  He is ready to fight.  As long as the other dog backs down when he growls, he's just fine.  But, if the other dog growls back, he's going for him.  Small dogs can get away with anything.  I've had chis come up and bite Cody, with no repercussions at all.  But any large dog, close to his size or larger, the fight is on. It's better to prevent the behavior, than to have an expensive vet bill or a severely damaged dog.
Kathy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version