Author Topic: NDR: This is what I get for trying to be nice....  (Read 4254 times)

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
NDR: This is what I get for trying to be nice....
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »
Ok so I have had my rattery for years and have always taken in extra animals people couldn't keep or what not just so that they could live out their lives somewhere nice. Well I never advertised that I'd rescue unwanted animals because I only had room for a couple more and didn't want to be overwhelmed. Well anyway, the other day I decided that I would start advertising that I would take in rescues because I have soooo much extra room, time, and supplies right now. I figured I would get itt out there and try to help out because I've seen rats and such at the shelter here that have been there for months and I'd be more than willing to take the small animals the shelter gets in and either let them live out their lives here or find a suitable pet home else where saving the shelter time and money. Sounds like a good idea right?

Well today I get a rude message from someone at the shelter here who saw my page and started ranting at me. I don't know what to think about this. Am I doing the wrong thing by trying to help? I'll post the message and my reply below, let me know what you think and if I handle this the right way. Thanks!

Message from her:

"This is so wrong you CANNOT pose yourself as a rescue if you are breeding animals! If you care so very much about finding homes for unwanted animals, then stop making more. I work at the shelter and we are continuously admitting small animals. Due to over breeding, lack of education, and responsibility; alot of unwanted pets are abandoned. Why not take a stand on the efforts to save these lil guys instead of being a part of the problem! It is easy to like animals and want more, but what they really need is for someone to protect their futures, not another unwanted pregnancy."

My reply:

"None of my animals are bred without a waiting list of pre-approved homes. Rats, are my main focus and the rats I breed are AFRMA pedigreed. I don't just breed because I get bored or it's fun. I also have a list people that own snakes and need snake food. Many don't agree with colonials animals health and won't feed them to their snakes and they don't want to pay 10 dollars for a rat from Petco. I take in rescues because I see how many pet rats their are. I have the space and time to take in these animals and have the experience to give them a great life here as pets only, or find a home for them with other people I know will love and care for them.

I have never had a surplus of rats or mice and have never had any that were unwanted. I always have planned litters. Many people like unique rats and don't just want hooded rats which is what you most commonly see at petstores and rescues. I myself own 3 snakes as well. Two of which I rescued, and snakes need to eat and I don't agree with frozen feeding because many nutrients are lost in the process.

I only started taking in rescues because I see so many rats and gerbils and mice that people buy from pet shops get thrown out after a child out grows them or people just decide they don't want them anymore. I have nothing but my animals to focus on. I also have a return policy for anyone that adopts an animal from me, any and all animals can be returned at any time if the person is unhappy with them or can no longer care for them."

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:07:34 pm by BritnyLe »
Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: NDR: This is what I get for trying to be nice....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »
I see nothing wrong with your reply.  You've stated the facts, you did not get emotional or go on the defensive.  You told her exactly what you do, and how you do it, without taking any digs at anyone else.  One question, did you advertise yourself as a rescue?  Or were you advertising that you would take in rescues?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:17:13 pm »
Are you sure that she does work for a shelter?  I have seen a lot of people saying that they work for a shelter just to stir up trouble.  Not saying that this is what she is doing but just wondering really.  I probably wouldn't have replied to be honest or would go to the shelter manager and reply to the concerns  with the shelter manager. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »
Well on my page where she heard about me it explains everything in even more detail. It explains that any and all rescues are adopted out or kept as pets ONLY, so no breeding, or using them as food. Also it explains that I just starting taking in rescues from anyone because of the excess time and space I have available.

I would never breed a rescue because I have a strong "client base" and they expect only the best and healthiest animals whether it's for pets or snake food. Breeding rescues would be irresponsible because you can never promise people that they come from good breeding with no genetic health concerns.

I do work with Petco in town because they often have people give them unwanted animals and then they call me and ask if I have any room and would be willing to take them in. Many times I have taken in already pregnant mothers that people had given to Petco. I myself did not breed them and never would, many of the rats I get that are pregnant are from people that bought brother and sister animals and didn't think they would breed. Obviously the outcome is terrible and because of the genetic problems they are then given to either my own snakes or someone else that has snakes early on. The mothers stay with me and are adopted out or kept, but I can't give someone and inbred baby rat to keep as a pet. Their lives are often very short and they have numerous health and behavior problems.

My site explains all this so I don't understand why this lady is so upset when I'm just offering to help people and the shelter out.
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:34 pm »
Just a little side question, because I'm curious.  Can you spay or neuter a rat??  ???  Sorry to get side tracked, but it's one of those always wondered, but never asked kinda things.   ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:28:15 pm »
I've heard of it but have never seen it done. I'd think if it could be done easily and safetly many large scale breeders would do it and take over the whole breeding scene. Kind of like Marshall Ferrets, they have control over basically all ferrets and sales and they fix all their babies before they are sent to stores that way no one else can breed them at home or anything.
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:14:25 pm »
I agree that she could have approached it better and I would have been more then willing to show her everything I have here and give her references. I have had problems in the past with this shelter though and I keep giving second chances because I honestly do want to help the animals.

Before I got Hades I was strongly looking to adopt an adult giant breed from a rescue or shelter. I couldn't find a rescue near my area that had any available giant breeds at the time, so I then looked into the shelter. Almost as if it were destined to be the shelter got in an adult male Saint Bernard. He was amazing and I fell in love with him instantly. I went then to talk to the girl at the counter and get an application and was kind of rudely told that I shouldn't waste my time because of friend of hers had 6 Saints already and was thinking of taking him so they were gonna give him to her.

I was upset by this because she didn't even give me a chance. I had just one other dog, a fenced yard, and I stay at home. I just felt upset that they just told me not to waste my time. I should have just stopped trying with them then but I always hope for the best in people.  :-\
A ball python
Otis the rabbit