Author Topic: Baby Kitten  (Read 5955 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Baby Kitten
« on: August 16, 2005, 09:42:17 am »
My old (as in of advanced age) neighbors brought a tiny kitten to me last night because they thought my cat had kittens.
1.  I don't own a cat
2.  The stray cat I feed (which I will never admit is mine b/c it is not, I just feed it) is a boy
3.  The cat is nuetered

So, I took the kitten in and took it to a coworker.   Yesterday was stressful and crazy.

Questions
1.  If the cat didn't have it's eyes or ears open, how old do you think it is?
2.  What are it's chances of survival?
3.  It was in a box in my house for half hour tops, do you think it's fleas invaded my house?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Kitten
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 10:00:17 am »
I know nothing about cats but I would call your vet and ask them. They expecially could answer the question about fleas. He sounds very young.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:03:38 am »
How do you know what sex it is, I tried to check out but I didn't know what it was supposed to look like?
Thanks,

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 10:05:24 am »
I would say it'd be a week to two weeks old.  The kitten that Sanity found in the woods, although it was wicked tiny, was just a mini cat, eyes and ears functional and was running around and all that (Actually she kind of bounces, as she's wicked bow legged).  I don't think that she could have given you guys fleas, and depending on how long she was alone would figure into her survival.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 11:07:06 am »
If the kitten's eyes arn't open, it is less than 10 days old (they open at 10 days).  I just finished raising 2 week old kittens, so I can help you out. The kitten should be kept warm with towels or blanket, preferably in the house in a box or a crate with air holes. You can cover it to keep it warmer. Did you actually see fleas? Or are you just assuming it has fleas because it is a stray? If you don't see fleas, don't give it a bath now until its older. If you did see fleas, you can give it a bath (carefully-do not get anything in the eyes or nose) with a mild kitten shampoo. You should also have it checked at the vet. Many vets (around here anyway-NB Canada) will not charge you anything for the visit if they know you are helping a stray kitten. You must get a kitten bottle (like a small baby bottle) from your vet. To feed the kitten you must buy kitten formula, which has all the vitamins or make your own. I had a recipe and used some formula. It required 80 ml water, 3 egg yolks, 80 ml carnation milk, and 100ml plain yogurt. You must feed the kitten at least every 3-5 hours, this includes during the night. Don't forget to rub the kitten's belly afterward to burp them, and to wipe its face so their eyes don't get stuck shut from formula.  You must also make the kitten go to the bathroom, as it is not old enough to go on its own yet. A mother cat would lick them to stimulate them to go. You can use a damp cloth or paper towel, and massage their lower stomach ad genitals to do this. It's not that difficult, kinda weird, but it will not survive if you don't. Don't forget to hold the kitten carefully and pet it. This kitten is on its own, and will need all the human contact that you can give. At this age, the kitten's survival is so-so. However, if you do all that is required and try your best, it will probably do fine. The kitten will start picking at food at around 4-5 weeks or longer. Once this happens you can reduce the bottle feeding. (At this point you will not be able to tell the sex of the kitten) Kittens at this age need a lot of care just like a human baby, so if you don't think you have the time, please try to find someone who can. Sometimes shelters have a mother cat who just had kittens who will accept another one. Don't be scared to ask you vet and other animal experts for advise. Please try to do what you can, it is worth it to try to save a life.
Please let me know if you have questions.
Jennifer W

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 11:15:04 am »
One of my coworkers took the cat.  I am not a big cat fan, they put me on edge for some reason.  I saw huge fleas on it that is how I knew it had them.  I did manage to make it pee on me last night when I rubbing it's belly trying to get one of the fleas.

My coworker has it at the vet right now.  I'll let you guys know what happens.  Thank you all for the great advice.
Thanks,

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:46:12 am »
Please give your co-worker the instructions that I gave. And I'm glad to hear that your were able to find someone to look after it. 
Jennifer W

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 05:55:20 am »
The kitten was at the vet yesterday.  He said it was a female 7-9 days old.  So far it is doing great.  I passed on everyone great instructions.

My guys are flea treated so is the yard and house. 
Thanks,

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 09:46:17 pm »
If the eyes weren't opened yet is is less than 2 weeks old...It's chances for survival are good but it will need a kitten formula....whe re to get it I'm not sure...ask a vet...Flea is a 4 letter word...YIKES!...I don't take any chances...I use preventative medicine monthly...I'm glad you are trying to help this little one though!....Also, to get the kitten to "go" you must use a damp warm cloth to stimulate it's bottom by gently rubbing...It's what the mama cat does with her tongue...This is important!...Good luck to the little orphan. :)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 12:51:47 pm »
Her name is now Pringle.  Her eyes are open.  She eats a couple ounces at a time.  She is learning to poop on her own and associate it with the litter box.  She can now throw a temper tantrum when she doesn't get fed fast enough.  The fleas are cleared up.  She is doing well.
Thanks,

nickerbokker

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 12:58:52 pm »
OH GOOD

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 04:30:58 pm »
Good Luck to little Pringle  :D

And Jenn..... I have never before thought of sexing a cat as punctuation lol.... but it is an excellent way of describing. Because it IS hard to explain how it looks like, especially if it is only one kitten, if someone has both boys and girls it is easier to tell by the difference.

And with fleas I can from personal experience say that it only takes a couple of them to infest your entire house if you dont "bomb" it or do something else, AND a flea can live for months in a carpet, just waiting for "flesh and blood" to walk by so it can jump up and get a feeding. NASTY creatures

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog