Author Topic: With a heavy heart...***UPDATE***  (Read 30273 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
With a heavy heart...***UPDATE***
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:21:46 am »
I haven't been on much but I know some of you will remember Boudreaux.  This past Wednesday he was laying on the living room floor and my 4 year old climbed onto his back.  I guess he didn't want that and turned to snap at him.  Caught Zac in the face warranting 3 stitches in the cheek and puncturing both cheeks in 3 different places.   :'(  Hubby and I weren't home, 17yo sis was there and said he didn't snarl, growl or anything and went right to his bed afterwards.  *sigh*  Nonetheless, I can't chance it again.  I am brokenhearted.  Boudreaux needs rehomed to a home with older children, that can understand NOT to climb on him.  This isn't the first time he's snapped at Zac, just the first time he's really made contact.  If anyone here on the board know a really good home, that preferrably has experience with Mastiffs let me know.  I will be taking him back to (breeder) on Valentine's Day which is also his 3rd birthday.   :'( :'( :'( 

***UPDATE***

We made the decision to work with Boudreaux and Zachary together.  Since none of us believe the snap was done out of aggression we are opting (I am sure to the displeasure of our parents) not to rehome him.  I spoke with the obedience instructor that worked with us and he gave me some ideas and we will be using a muzzle in the evenings while Zachary is awake (5-8pm)for awhile.  I think revisiting puppy school a few times would do us good too.  Neither of us really want to rehome him.  However, if the behavior would ever happen again, even though it would only be strike two...he will still be out.   ;)   Thank you for all your support on this.  I appreciate my BP family more than you know.   :-*
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:22:24 am by EastJenn »
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: With a heavy heart...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:42:46 am »
Softhug ,

I remember how excited you were to bring Bourdreaux home as a little puppy . I'm so sorry this happened  :'( But I can TOTALLY relate . We just went thru the same thing the day after Christmas with our 1 &1/2 year old Newfie . No warning . Just attacked me twice within one week . Thank GOD my children were not in the room (well , after the first time we didn't let her anywhere near the kids anymore) . There was absolutely no way I could ever trust her again , especially with my children  :'( I feel your pain and hope you can find him a wonderful home .
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:06 am »
I wish I could.  However this has happened a couple times and now that he has actually bitten, that was the last straw.  My husband was raised in a family that if a dog bites it doesn't get another chance.  Had he been home, we would be digging a hole not looking to rehome.  Not that I agree with that, but that is how he was raised...and the size didn't matter.  His family put poodles down that were snappy.  Letting Boudreaux go is bothering him as well, as B was 'his' dog, as in he picked the breed, found the breeder, picked the pup, etc.  Ugh, I am NOT looking forward to this.  :(  But I would never forgive myself if it happened again. 
"That's the problem."

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:18:40 am »
Softhug:

I'm so sorry that you have to rehome Boudreaux.  I remember how excited you were to go pick him up.  He certainly is a handsome dog but everyone has to make the best decisions for the dog and the family.

*** appears to be a good breeder and should be able to place Bourdreaux in an appropriate home.

Randy

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:22:45 am by EastJenn »

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:48:18 am »
That's the funny thing, Zac acts like nothing happened.  He isn't afraid at all.  This week is going to be incredibly hard for me.  Saturday being his birthday makes it even harder.  :'( What a GREAT memory for Valentine's to come. This will be the first time since college that I haven't had a dog.  ugh.  I appreciate your thoughts and everyone elses as well. 
"That's the problem."

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:29:19 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this too..I am glad that Zac is OK and holds no grudges..but don't forget him in all this either..Even in all your heartbreak he will propablly miss the Big B as well and maybe even blame himself..don't understimate a 4 yr old..

I know just another worry but keep it in mind..
So sorry..at least he is young enough and should find another home that doesn't have small ones..

TATFK

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: With a heavy heart...***UPDATE***
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:21 am »
I wanted to bump this with an update.  :)

EDITED TO ADD UPDATE DOWN HERE...

We made the decision to work with Boudreaux and Zachary together.  Since none of us believe the snap was done out of aggression we are opting (I am sure to the displeasure of our parents) not to rehome him.  I spoke with the obedience instructor that worked with us and he gave me some ideas and we will be using a muzzle in the evenings while Zachary is awake (5-8pm)for awhile.  I think revisiting puppy school a few times would do us good too.  Neither of us really want to rehome him.  However, if the behavior would ever happen again, even though it would only be strike two...he will still be out.    ;)   Thank you for all your support on this.  I appreciate my BP family more than you know.    :-*

(It took me awhile to find the update--duh--so I moved it down here  -Holly)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:04:12 am by Holly »
"That's the problem."

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:04:33 am »
You do what feels right to you ! Good luck and keep us updated !!!!!
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:19:17 am »
I understand how you feel, but don't give up on him. Both he and Zak need training. When my 6 year old grandson came to live with us, I took him to obedience training with me and Tink so he could learn the commands and Tink could learn to respect his authority. Tink never snapped at him but did play too rough for little kids (she was 6 months old and pushing 100 lbs). He learned "off" and "back" when Tink would get to rowdy and he did not want to play anymore. He even learned to heal her on a leash (which was funny looking because she really dwarfs him now). Xavier knows now that he sets the level of play with Tink, if he is rough, she is rough. If he is low key, she will be low key, etc. It is up to you, but I think training is absolutely imperative with people with big dogs and little kids even if the dog is mild mannered, the kids need to learn how to treat dogs (their own and strangers). We get complacant when all goes well but freak when there is a close call. Training, training, training! for people and dogs. Follow your heart and do what you need to do but consider this as an option. Good luck.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 02:27:39 am »
I don't have kids, but can understand how that can be scary. It's good that you understand the snap was Boudreaux's natural reaction. The fact that he snapped without warning makes me believe he was in actual pain rather than discomfort or just irritated.

I think a 4-year-old is old enough to be taught to understand how to respect a dog's personal space. I hope you reconsider finding Boudreaux a new home and work instead on creating respectful bond between Zac and Boudreaux.

You know, I really think you are right.  After much deliberation, talking, tears, etc., we are going to try and work on both Zachary becoming more of an alpha and Boudreaux accepting that fact.  We are going to do more obedience training and have Zachary be an active participant in that.  I will let BPO know how that is going as it happens.  Thanks for your support!   
"That's the problem."

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:31 am »
WELL SAID!!  I could go further but I believe enough has been said….
I agree completely... I believe the incident with Zac and Boudreaux was an accident. I believe that with hard work from the whole family you guys can fix this. Stay positive and focused; you can and will get through this.  I wish you nothing but the best of luck and make sure you keep us updated on the progress. I am very happy with your decision. Give Zac and Boudreaux a big hug and kiss from us!!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:20:26 am »
Softhug ,

I remember how excited you were to bring Bourdreaux home as a little puppy . I'm so sorry this happened  :'( But I can TOTALLY relate . We just went thru the same thing the day after Christmas with our 1 &1/2 year old Newfie . No warning . Just attacked me twice within one week . Thank GOD my children were not in the room (well , after the first time we didn't let her anywhere near the kids anymore) . There was absolutely no way I could ever trust her again , especially with my children  :'( I feel your pain and hope you can find him a wonderful home .

Oh how I hate that you were faced with that!  The one positive thing with this situation is that it wasn't aggression based.  That is the ONLY reason we are going to try and work thru this.  I'm sorry you had to go thru what you did with your Newfie.  They are beautiful dogs.  :(
"That's the problem."

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 03:22:25 am »
Softhug:

I'm so sorry that you have to rehome Boudreaux.  I remember how excited you were to go pick him up.  He certainly is a handsome dog but everyone has to make the best decisions for the dog and the family.

*** appears to be a good breeder and should be able to place Bourdreaux in an appropriate home.

Randy

I called Fredricka and she did tell us to bring him back.  Told me the steps that would be taken prior to rehoming him, etc.  I'm just not ready to give up on either of them.  I think this can be resolved.  Thank you for your kindness.
   :-*
"That's the problem."

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:31:05 am »
I'm sorry to hear this too..I am glad that Zac is OK and holds no grudges..but don't forget him in all this either..Even in all your heartbreak he will propablly miss the Big B as well and maybe even blame himself..don't understimate a 4 yr old..

I know just another worry but keep it in mind..
So sorry..at least he is young enough and should find another home that doesn't have small ones..

TATFK

Thank you for your kindness and thoughts.  I too think Zachary would miss Boudreaux.  It's funny, my 17 year old daughter HATED Boudreaux.  He slobbers!  Now, she has grown attached and didn't want to see him go either.  I think she will be going to obedience class as well.  It will be a family affair!
"That's the problem."

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:14 am »
You do what feels right to you ! Good luck and keep us updated !!!!!
Giving up this early just doesn't seem right.  Not that I am trying to place Zac in jepoardy...if I thought I was Big Dog would be 'outta here'.  I just think we all deserve the opportunity to learn from this.  He is an asset to our family.  Thank you for your kindness!  :-*
"That's the problem."