Author Topic: Help Failure to thrive Mastiff puppies.  (Read 15740 times)

Offline Lark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help Failure to thrive Mastiff puppies.
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:13:46 pm »
First I want to let you know that these are neither my dogs nor my puppies, and that I do not necessarily agree with the practices/ philosophies of the person who did the breeding. Having said this there are 5, 3month old puppies who are not thriving and how/ why they got here is not the important thing right at the moment.

They were born on a farm in the mountains just before the farm was effected by flooding. They did get Giardia and were treated for it at about 6 weeks. Four different vets have checked these puppies and other than the Giardia could not find any medical problem. The breeder has since moved so the source of contamination is removed.

The breeder has been feeding Eucanuba (sp?) large breed puppy suplimented with hamburger and rice. The puppies have soft stool constantly. They are thin and not growing. If anyone has any idea what might be going on with these Mastiff puppies I would certainly be greatful.

I have a real soft spot for the big guys, and have a Rottie, a Pyr cross and an Akbash here along with the Pomeranians that I breed. The big guys are all throwaways >:(, 4, 8 and 9 years.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Help Failure to thrive Mastiff puppies.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 01:18:25 pm »
HMM seems like the are maybe not absorbing anything, have they been treated for worms? I know heartworm causes growth problems.
I would also try switching to a dif food as well.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 02:02:17 pm »
wow that is too badd....how old ar the pups?  Are we sure the giardia is gone  maybe they have been reinfected.... 

Offline Lark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 02:28:37 pm »
Thank you for your prompt responses. They are 3 months old.

They treated the Giardia with Safeguard so it should have eliminated any worm load as well, and they were done again after they were moved. Our winters are cold enough that we don't have a problem with heartworm.

I had her feeding them yogurt to replenish any intestinal flora that might have been inadvertently destroyed.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 02:31:36 pm by Lark »

Offline Mokeymunster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 02:43:40 pm »
Have the pups been tested for coccidia??  I knew of a mastiff pup with the same symptoms that ended up having giardia, and coccidia.  Might be worth asking the vet.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 05:53:01 am »
Where are you located, maybe you could get second vet opinion.  I had a lab puppy onces who, one vet treated and claimed to have eliminated worms, then I happened to change vets who found a load of worms in her.

What about Parvo?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
  • Me and my favorite girl, Meme (I'll always love u)
    • View Profile
    • Mastiff Club of America
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 02:37:51 pm »
Awww, that is so disheartening.  How are the parents (sire & dam) fairing?  Do they seem to have a weight issue as well?  I don't know if Hypo-thyroidism appears that early, but it would be a possiblity as well.  I'm battling that right now, it's harsh. 

Also, I can recommend several dedicated English Mastiff boards, should you wish to try seeking answers there as well. 

www.mastiffweb .com    &    http://members5.boardhost.com/rodsue/   &
http://members5.boardhost.com/MastiffSight/

Any of these would be worth a shot as well.  Good luck!!
Kerri, mom to Kacie and Atlas.  And missing deeply my baby girls, Storm and Meme.

Are you the type of person your dog thinks you are?

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:40:19 am »
How are these guys doing?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline nigels mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 05:06:14 pm »
For some reason, the perscription diet EN seems to work best in mastiff puppies for diarrhea.  Unfortunately, testing is costly and some times the cause is never found so I would rule out the most easily correctable things first such as parasites, viruses, shunts, and pancreatic problems.  I also feel that when a reason cannot be found their may be a genetic link.  The problem with leaving diarrhea uncorrected is that the bowel may telescope and this needs emergency surgery to correct and often a bowel resection.  You can try digestive enzymes ( Natures Farmacy) added to the food because they sometimes help but ususally not for long.  My immediate recommendation would be to stop all food except for EN and continue testing for causes.
     Unfortunately, I have had a lot of experience with diarrhea and surgery with one of my mastiff puppies.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Offline mastiff wanabeeee

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:25:14 am »
First of all, I commend you for your love and dedication in helping these helpless kids!  Where are you located?  I am
a critical care nurse at North Corolina State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Depending on your state and location, I may be able to help you identify the problem.
The number one thing I would rule out is k-9 parvo virus...I see that others have reccomended that to you, and it seems to be costly to test all pups, however, you only need to test one of the pups (usually the most symptomatic pup) if one has parvo, chances are the all do. It can be VERY costly to treat one possitive pup, let along alone a whole litter :'(   My other thought is hook worm and whipp worms....The typical puppy dewormer will NOT treat these types of intestinal paracites.

Please feel free to email me, if I can help.
Megan_Heyl@ncsu.edu

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 12:01:00 pm »
I had her feeding them yogurt to replenish any intestinal flora that might have been inadvertently destroyed.

You may want to give them Lactobacillus-Acidophilus,  it is stronger that giving yogurt.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline odie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 04:27:07 pm »
Hi Lark,

Do you know if these people are selling or giving away their puppies? I'm looking for an apricot or fawn male. I'm sure my vet could diagnose and cure the problem.

Larry
Troy, Montana