Author Topic: Finding a boyfriend for my english mastiff  (Read 28796 times)

Nicole

Re: Finding a boyfriend for my english mastiff
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 12:28:25 pm »
Maybe I'm just too opinionated, but I just firmly believe in spaying and neutering. Even pure-bred dogs end up in shelters. Just look at the dogs we've all tried to rescue on here! Most of them pure-bred! I used to work at the humane society, and it is just heartbreaking to have to euthanize a dog...or a puppy. I think that Greek4 makes a good point. Even well-intented people experience circumstances beyond their control. And, if we truly think of our furkids as KIDS, then why breed them? Would you put your daughter out there for "breeding" cuz she's so perfect and wonderful? Or stud out your son? Too weird. We don't spay and neuter our kids, but we allow them the decision to pro-create. I just feel that we owe it to our furkids to just be pets and loved.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I just feel that under most circumstances, it is the wise thing to spay and neuter.

But, I love you all! And respect everyone's feelings, too! And I sure do love puppies! :-* :-*

Nicole

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 12:31:27 pm »
Oh, and just an aside....I've only been to one country overseas...Mor occo. I don't know if it is very representative, but there are dogs and cats ALL OVER THE PLACE. Everywhere. So, that's just to answer Rebekah's question. I don't know about Europe.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 12:56:12 pm »
I too am for spaying and neutering. The health benefits alone are overwhelming! 17% of cancers in intact males is testicular, only second to 18% concerning connective tissues. Bone cancer only constitutes 4% of males. The number one cancer in females is breast at 51% of all cancers a female can aquire. Bone cancer occurs in 2% of bitches.Not trying to step on toes here, but for me I will choose the spay and neuter alone just to take away the chances for these cancers. The overpopulation tears me up inside. Nobody wants a dog to end up in a shelter, but the sad truth is it can and will continue to happen. Sapying and neutering is my contribution to end over population.

In addition, I am not against breeding. I am in awe of those responsible breeders who devote their lives to the bettering of a breed. It takes complete devotion to a breed to become a breeder. For those who have chosen to do this, I am envious of you. I just don't have what it takes!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 01:20:41 pm »
In addition, I am not against breeding. I am in awe of those responsible breeders who devote their lives to the bettering of a breed. It takes complete devotion to a breed to become a breeder. For those who have chosen to do this, I am envious of you. I just don't have what it takes!

You said it better than I did, Saintgirl!  I can't stand the thought of any of these angels being unwanted so leave it to those that know what it takes to improve the breed!  It just isn't me!!!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2005, 01:31:06 pm »
I will have Willow spayed...but after her 1st heat if possible.  My vet and i talked about spaying females to early and there being an increased incident in bladder incontinence in the females....  I think it is important to spay and neuter if you are not going to breed..  And I could not be a breeder also

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2005, 10:25:51 pm »
First I would like to say hi and welcome, I have been on vacation so I might have missed you, but I am pretty sure I have never "posted with you" before.

I am soooo glad you are pleased with your OEM, I adore them and can truly feel your excitment and eagerness to share your wonderful dog. They are super in many many ways.

Here are some things you might want to look into if you decide to breed her. First I absolutely agree that in some way a dog that is going to be bred should have proven themselves in one way or another. It doesnt matter so much how, but either in conformation or obedience, tracking, agility, rescue or have at least basic training CGC, and pref. level one or two. Just to make sure that the dog is contributing to the breed in one or another way. Since you say she is such a love and good girl, maybe you would want to make her take her cgc, maybe even get a bit more obidience on her and even if you dont wish to show (I have done for many years, but due to all the politic there I fully understand if people choose not to) seek a mastiff judge and have her judged on a conformation basis. At least then you know if she has any faults that maybe should not be used in breeding.

Also OEM's should have a health cert. it includes hips, elbows but also cardiac, a lot of real responsible breeders also opt to check eyes and thyroids on them. You can look up on mastiff club about the ethical rules for breeding a mastiff, if you follow them you know you have done your utmost to "better" the breed. I think a golden rule should be that no dog should be bred if you dont think the litter will be better than the average dog of that breed.

Mastiffs are giant breeds so you are right you absolutely want to wait until she is 2 years, if you are looking into breeding her only once then I would probably wait a bit longer. Breeders though with champion dogs normally try and breed as 2 year olds, since on these big dogs the window for breeding is rather small and to be able to have a couple maybe three litters you dont want to wait too long, or they will get too old in the other end.

As for finding her a male, do lots of research, not only what the male has done and his title, look into what he has given, with what females, look into what lines are on the females where the litters are very good, and the oposit, see what he seems to breed down hard and not so hard, look for a male that breed down hard on the points you might want to compensate your female for. Call the mastiff ethical board, call their breeder ref. person, call breeders, go to show talk to them there. They are all people with lots of experience and they can give you great advice and also tell you the "insiders" about certain issues that might be with certain line combinations and such that is almost impossible to get to know as a beginner.

I would love to see pics of your girl and also hear how you are doing in your research, feel free to PM me if you have questions, I might be able to help, if not I will hopefully be able to help you with where to turn to get the information you are looking for.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2005, 10:43:23 pm »
Marit - it is nice having you back...I know that I haven't been on the board long but I enjoy your tone and info with the posts
Timmie

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2005, 10:46:46 pm »
Soooooo on the the "overseas neuter or not to neuter" I am as most of you know from Sweden, have lived 2 years in England and have travelled most of the european countries. The dog situations is as many as there are countries. So I dont think you can bunch Europe together and say the same situation is everywhere.

The south and east of europe has a very different situations in many ways, including pets from northern and western europe.

To say that europe dont alter their dogs is not true, the countries I find that do not alter are the ones with giant problems, dogs on the beaches, dogs on the streest dogs everywhere. The countries that have done good in educating about altering, unplanned breeding, responsible breeding, responsible dog ownership and why you sould breed a dog, are the countries that dont have problems. So since I am swedish, I will use that for an example. We do not have shelters, not because we dont care for dogs, but because there simply is no need for them, most people own pure bred dogs, not because we think badly about mixed breeds but because most people who breed are breeding for the love of that particular breed and there are not nearly as many mixed breed dogs there as it is here. Most people alter their dogs if they are not going to be bred or shown, very few people breed "just for the fun of it" and extremely few dogs are put to sleep because they are too many or unwanted.

Altering in general. Yes I think a dog that is not meant to be bred or shown is best off being altered. Both the health risk with cancer and yes they have redone the figures about other types of cancer today, but that is not the only risks. Red mentioned birth problems, which is a not too small risk. Also males seem to have the most extreme urge and most clever heads when it comes to escape to meet and greet with a female in heat, that has more than once resulted in a run over dog. Females can have very much problems with the "imagined pregnancies" so to the point that it is inhumane to let them go through it twice a year. Also the uterus infections are a big risk.

A dog that is altered will very rarely have the need or urge to breed, the hormones that stimulate that urge is gone with the castration. That is one reason why some people think sex offenders should be castrated, so to not have that hormon production. They are also almost always easier to deal with, males have their issues and females theirs. No not all males lift their leg and mark, I have had several males that wouldnt dream of doing it, I have also had a male who would as soon as he could mark on my dining room table (no training seemed to solve that problem) females have mood swings just like we do  ;D and they are messy. Males go crazy when they smell a female in heat and as all males they are totally horrible to deal with when ho..y hehe

As a proud mama of a female in heat I recomend everyone who is not going to breed or show to alter, my girl is having to be supervised basically 24/7, and those of you who read about last heat, where a dog dug his way into our back yard, a yard with privacy fence about 8' tall knows that even with as good as no time unsupervised you can be out of luck and voila an oops litter. Thankfully I cought it in time BUT if not........... .....

After all there are over 5 million dogs and cats being put to sleep in shelters every year in this countrie, not because they are bad puppies or kittens, just too many and too unwanted

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2005, 10:52:19 pm »
Marit - it is nice having you back...I know that I haven't been on the board long but I enjoy your tone and info with the posts
Timmie

Thanks Timmie, it is goooood to be back  :D Vacations are  not for me lol..... I have a bad bpo withdrawel and have been reading most of the day. Mind you I had 475 emails from rescue too, so I think I have to cut back sleeping for a few days hehe

marit

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2005, 10:59:18 pm »
lol marait - I know what you mean about vacations....I like to stay home..hate leaving my animals but don't mind leaving the teenagers....l ol
i had BPO withdrawl when I was in santa fe.

Offline sierra

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2005, 02:17:40 pm »
Here are some pics of the little girl