Author Topic: New member - Michelle - with furkids AM Murphy and EMs Frank and Maggie  (Read 12122 times)

Offline MichelleParlier

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • American Mastiff Family Forum
Hi!  My name is Michelle.  In addition to my two wonderful rescue English Mastiffs, Maggie and Frank, I have an awesome American Mastiff, Murphy.  Maggie is three years old.  Frank is 7 years old, and Murphy is 4 years old.  Maggie and Frank are from Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue. Murphy is a Certified Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs International, Inc.  We have gone on many visits to a retirement home in our town, two homeless shelters and a mental health facility. 

I haven't had too much time to check out the entire site yet but, from what I've seen so far, this looks like a really nice place with lots of friendly and helpful folks. 

I'm going to attempt to post some picturs of my furkids.

Nice to "meet" you all!  ;D

Michelle

AM Murphy, CGC, Certified Therapy Dog (Therapy Dogs International, Inc.)
(Flying W Farms - Kady & Rufus 1-23-05)

epileptic German Shepherd mix Annie (Born 10-4-04 - adopted 5-06 AHF) RIP 5-17-08

EM Maggie (Born 10-17-05 - adopted 12-06 GLMR)

EM Frank (Born 11-11-01 - adopted 10-07 GLMR)

lookingfornewf

Re: New member - Michelle - with furkids AM Murphy and EMs Frank and Maggie
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:06 am »
Your pups are great looking. That's wonderful that you are doing therapy work with them. I'm hoping to get into it with Clifford once he gets a bit older.

AudgePadge

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:24 am »
ahhh i LOVE your babies' faces!!  :-* :-* :-*  Welcome!! I'm Audrey, n my family is in my sig.  ;D

Offline MichelleParlier

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:56:14 am »
Thank you for the nice welcome and the nice words about my furkids.  I just love them to pieces.   ;D

Holly... Danes have always been one of my favorites.  I think someday I'll definitely have one.  They're so beautiful and such a great breed overall!

Clifford's parent...  I love doing therapy work with Murphy.  I really don't know who enjoys it more, the residents or us!  It is definitely rewarding.  

Michelle

epileptic German Shepherd mix Annie (Born 10-4-04 - adopted 5-06 AHF) RIP 5-17-08

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:34:29 am »
Welcome to BPO! Great pics! I love the 4th pic of Frank. ;D

Tonda

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
More mastiffs, yea!!! Yours are adorable. I've got my first two mastiff cross monsters right now and I think I'm going to be a life long addict (grew up with Newfs, though, so I've always been a big dog kinda girl).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:30:32 am by MastiffOverload »

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:28:38 am »
Welcome Michelle. your big babies are gorgeous!
Im Jo, and my bebies are listed in my siggie...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline MichelleParlier

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:01:16 am »
Wow!  Thanks soooo very much for the very warm welcome!  What a nice group of people!  All your pups are just precious!  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! 

In reply to Lyn:  Yes, they draw a ton of attention, especially when I walk all of them together.  Up until last May, I had four big doggies (I lost my epileptic German Shepherd mix tragically).  I'm so used to the "horse" and "pony" comments about my dogs, but last spring while I was walking all four together, I overheard a man say to his buddies, "Look, here come a herd of buffalo!"  Buffalo?!?!  I busted out laughing.   That was one I've never heard before.  :D LOL

Again, thank you all for the welcome.  I'm glad I found you all.   ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:24:40 am »
Hello and welcome!  Your crew is gorgeous!
I love mastiffs, and almost got one that was abandoned at work awhile ago but I knew I couldn't handle 5 dogs.  ::)

I've actually looked into the American Mastiff and they are on my potential "future breed" list.  Boy though did I get a heck of trouble when I mentioned that on another forum.  :P  Apparently they are still considered a designer breed by some people and we all know how some people consider designer breeds.  Oh well, didn't change my mind at all........... ....lol.

My name is Chris, and my crew consists of Keiko, a husky/shep mix, Gunther, a great dane, and Nigel and Posey, 2 rat terriers.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:06:17 pm »
Welcome, Michelle!!  Your pups are beyond FANTASTIC!!!  I, too, am in love with mastiffs!  I can't wait to see more pics of your family! 
BTW, I'm Momma to Winston, a newfoundland wanna-be and Champ, our golden retriever! 

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:51:58 pm »
Welcome to BPO!  Im Michelle, mom and slave to Kira-7 year old AKita and Gunner-English mastiff/bullmastiff X who will be 1 year old on Valentines's day!
Your group is gorgeous.  cant wait to see and hear more about them.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline MichelleParlier

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 02:37:33 pm »

I've actually looked into the American Mastiff and they are on my potential "future breed" list.  Boy though did I get a heck of trouble when I mentioned that on another forum.  :P  Apparently they are still considered a designer breed by some people and we all know how some people consider designer breeds.  Oh well, didn't change my mind at all........... ....lol.

If you'd like to know more about American Mastiffs, I own the American Mastiff Family forum.  The link is in my profile.  I'm not sure of the rules about "plugging" any other websites.... so moderators, please delete this if it's against the rules.  You can definitely learn everything and anything you ever wanted to know about the breed.  We also have all the 10 approved breeders on the forum too.  Like this forum, we have a bunch of wonderful and friendly folks.   ;D

Here's a bit about my furkids...

I've had my AM, Murphy, since he was 8 weeks old. 

I adopted my EM girl, Maggie, just over two years ago.  She was just over a year old.  She is the product of a puppy mill and was bought on a whim as a Christmas present for the kids in a family from a pet shop.  She was abused and given up to rescue at 10 months old because she was "getting too big."  She's a Mastiff for God's sake!  It took her foster mom about four months to be able to touch her.  She would cower in the back of her crate and growl and bare her teeth, all while wagging her tail and giving paw.  She wanted love so badly, but was so scared of it.  The first day I met her, she let me touch her leg after sitting on the floor with her for a long while and talking softly to her.  We took her home that night.  She is THE biggest Velcro dog ever! I am the only one in the world that can touch her though.  She still cowers if she doesn't see you coming.   

Frank was given up to rescue at five years of age after his owners decided they didn't want him anymore after he couldn't walk anymore.  He lived in a cold garage for at least two years that the owners admitted to.  He blew out both knees, and the owners did nothing to help him.  The called rescue when he could no longer walk after three steps. He was also 50 pounds underweight.  Rescue called his breeder (who had the #1 speciality girl a couple years ago).  He asked if Frank was altered (he is).  The breeder didn't want him back.  Rescue asked if he could help financially with his double TPLO surgery. He sent $25.00.  No, I didn't forget any zeros.  I met Frank a few days after his first surgery.  I bring Maggie for "visitation" with her foster parents, and they were Frank's foster parents.  I fell in love with the big apricot boy and I adopted him in October 2007.  He still has a hard time getting around because of his horribly arthritic knees, but he's a big momma's boy.  I still have to help him get up sometimes, especially if he's on a smooth surface. 

I also have four cats, three of them rescues.

So... that's the story of my furchildren.   ;D

Michelle

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:40:07 pm by MichelleParlier »

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »
Hi Michelle, your fawns are beautiful but I'm a sucker for an apricot!! Welcome ~ the people at GLMR are an awesome group ~ we found our miss Libby through them. Glad you found BPO everyone here is super nice and helpful, I'm Kim mama to Libby and Storm.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:35 pm »
Hi Michelle...sou nds like you found the right group..been here for a while..not too very long..

Everyone here is great ..we haven't met one we don't like yet.. ::)

I'm tricia and mom to fur kids Emma..rotti/peke total Daddy's girl..Falkor white collie and self designated Nanny to any and all babies that arrive..Rysa a kitty that we rescued at two days old and is a dog in a cat suit..Jaba a little desert rock squrriel that we saved with a broken leg and is now so fat that he can't even curl in a ball..and our newest baby which we haven't named yet..a Bouvier puppy 8 weeks old and my new love..
I think my post is still up of Bouvier Kisses and Puppy breath has some pics..XXX most of his pics are in Bouv baby boy pictures included..sorr y..that is if you want to look..new mom here you'll have to excuse me..

Welcome you found your new home..
Tricia and the fur kids
By the way TD work is without a doubt the best thing you can do for yourself..you will get far more than you give it is just like that..and it sounds like you understand that..
I lost my TD Magic in July we were a team for 8 years and he would have been 10 in Nov..the smiles and miracles he made happen and left in his wake can't be counted..so Keep up all your work..
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:59:42 pm by MagicM3 »

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 05:05:14 pm »
Welcome to BP you have a beautiful family!!!
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie