Author Topic: Spring will be here soon  (Read 3323 times)

Viking Lady

Spring will be here soon
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:14:03 pm »
Let me preface this by saying that this may be obvious, or previously discussed. But I need some encouragement.

Before I know it spring will be here and there will be alot to do outside. I will be doing alot of work in the backyard and will probably have the grandchildren over alot. When they come over, all of them race to the window to see Luke. It's almost the first thing they think about. They know where his treats are kept and want to give him a treat. But when we are outside with him they are scared of him. He is ALWAYS gentle and happy that they are here. But he knocks them down. The kids are 2 and 3 1/2 years old. My oldest grandaughter is 12 and she does fine with him. Sometimes he jumps up on her when he gets excited but I have told her she has to correct him herself, that I won't interfere, so he will mind her. When she needs help she is to say "help". So far, she hasn't needed it much.

My question is, when the little people are here, I think I need to keep him on a leash. He follows them around and does pretty well, but if they run he runs after them and that's when he knocks them over. I have been saying "back off" which slows him down some. He really is just happy and wants to play, but he's BIG.

Can anyone advise me? I have lost about 4 months of practice because of winter weather. But the sun's coming out.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Spring will be here soon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:23:53 am »
I feel your pain.  Gunner does the same thing with our friends kids.  For whatever reason he doesnt have any brakes once he gets going.
No advice being that I am dealing with the same issue just wanted to let you know that our pup uses kids as bowling pins too.

Oh and BRING ON SPRING!!!!!!!!!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak