Author Topic: How do you know when your dog is sick?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
How do you know when your dog is sick?
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:38:43 am »
Beside displaying the classic symptoms of being sick like acting lathargic and diarrhia how do you know if there is something wrong? or do you only go by those signs?

How do you tell if your dog is running a temp besides actually taking their temp. Sophie's ears get hot but they seem to be always hot...

Sometimes when we go for a walk she starts to sound congested like flem in her throat or something.. but this doesn't happen at any other time.  Is this something I should get check out?

Oh one more... Sophie's pee is like bright/ dark yellow or as Nick describes... darker then beer.  I don't think she's dehydrated she drinks water and gets lots of ice cubes.  Is this normal?

Since this is the first dog that we have owned by ourselves I'm just trying to get a feel for whats normal and whats not.  And if I should take her to the vet.  She doesn't act like there is anything bothering her. So anyways I was just hoping for some opinions and people's experiances.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know when your dog is sick?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:00:03 am »
I think you'll start to just sort of trust your intuition.  Is he off his food a bit?  Are his eyes as bright and alert as always?  Is he quick to come to play as he usually is?  Those are things you just learn to  recognize.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:55:25 am »
As for the peepee issue, I would say if it is brown or brownish red, I'd be concerned. (Darker than Budweiser? Or darker than a Guinness!!!) Also if she seems to have difficulty urinating or if it seems painful. And the coughing, could it be she's pulling on the leash?

Nigel usually feels pretty hot to the touch but it is normal for him and he is very healthy.

If her appetite is good, she's alert, and life is going as usual with no symptoms that last more than a few days, things are fine. Like newflvr said, you'll probably sense it if something is really wrong. And you know, a trip to the vet for a general health check might make you feel more at ease. :)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:38:01 am »
Thanks for your responses.

I think we would have a real problem if it was darker then guiness  ;)  hehehe.  She's really good on the leash so its not the pulling.  I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog