Author Topic: How many people does it take to trim a Papillon?  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
How many people does it take to trim a Papillon?
« on: February 22, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »
Apparently in my house, it takes a minimum of three. 

Cody is terrified of any type of grooming tool.  Nail clippers, brushes, scissors...you name it he's terrified of it.

We wanted to trim the hair on his belly because when he goes to the bathroom he ends up peeing on it and it gets gross and crusty.  Well, I'm ashamed to admit that to trim a 4x4 inch area on his belly, it took 15 minutes and Jeff and Kelsey to hold him and me to trim and help hold him still.  I was going to do the whole shebang and clip the hair around his feet and his toenails but he made it clear that was NOT going to happen.  He flipped out and head butted Jeff in the lip and Kelsey ended up with a nasty scratch on her neck and I gave up because I was afraid I was going to cut him by accident.

We trimmed Sierra next and she doesn't like the scissors either.  Thank goodness she'll let you do whatever you want to her as long as someone is rubbing her belly.  It's like she goes into a trance or something  :D  I was able to trim all four paws, both ears and clip her nails in less than 20 minutes.

And yet the 8 lb dog kicked our butts.  ???
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: How many people does it take to trim a Papillon?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
  Oh, I feel your pain!  My bichon mix was the same way as a puppy!  The first time I tried to trim him up, he squealed like a piglet and my gentle baby turned into a biting little tazmanian devil!  He's always had a dominant personality, but fortunately so do I!   :D

I don't know if this will work for your pappy, but I used to lay Napoleon on his back between my legs while sitting on the floor and hold a pair of scissors on his face, or against his paws or belly.  Not cutting any hair yet, but just so he knew I wasn't going to hurt him with them.  Lots of calm praise, belly rubs and treats when he stayed calm.  Eventually I would cut a little on his face, paws, or belly and then repeat the praise and treats.  It took almost a year before he totally gave up complaining and trying to squirm away.  But now when I pull my grooming bag out of the closet he just lays down where he is and waits for the inevitable! 

Hope this helps some.  Just remember to stay calm and assertive, like Cesar says!  Eventually Cody will realize you're not trying to kill him with grooming utensils!  If all else fails, a muzzle can help with grooming or even the vets office.  It seems to put an anxious dog into a bit of a trance so you can do what needs to be done quickly.  I only use it for painful things, like when Napoleon needs blood drawn or the hair pulled out of his ear canals, because no amount of praise is going to make that not hurt.   

Good Luck!   ;D

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 02:32:12 am »
I totally understand. I can clip Clifford's nails, but not Annie my Jack Russell. She is much better at wiggling away.

jesday

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:31:20 am »
Hee Hee. It takes three vet-techs to trim Chili's nails. Thank goodness he is a short haired Chi and hair trimming is not needed. :D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:06 am »
I do the task ninja style

haha!  Ninja style!  That made me laugh picturing you sneaking around in a black hooded outfit with just your eyes showing and wielding a pair of nail clippers.  Which is actually extra funny since I don't know what you look like!! ;D ;D

No sneaking around with Cody.  He's way too alert for that.  He sees EVERYTHING.  I've even left brushes and clippers on the floor to get him used to seeing them and he tries to play with them!  When they are in your hands then they turn into torture devices.  I think I may just take him to a groomer.  It's such a fiasco, I'm afraid I'm going to hurt him one day.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 04:46:50 pm by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:48:36 pm »
Hee Hee. It takes three vet-techs to trim Chili's nails. Thank goodness he is a short haired Chi and hair trimming is not needed. :D

Why is it the little tykes are the ones that give the most trouble??  ???

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline filafan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 02:02:25 am »
Because they are too tiny to tackle?
Beloved Caislean-chasing squirrels on the other side.