Author Topic: Lady has lost her fight  (Read 8832 times)

smohr

Lady has lost her fight
« on: August 17, 2005, 09:14:18 am »
My Lady girl, a 4 year-old Great Dane, has lost her last fight for life(one of many) and passed away last week.  I am deeply grieved and saddened.   She had cancer and will suffer no more, but it is so very hard.  My last dane died of cancer at the age of 13 years old and that almost did me in.  Lady was so young...

I have Lady's ashes as well as Katie's, Samson's and Brutus' ashes.  I haven't been able to scatter them nor bury them.  They are in separate urns, because I was always so afraid of moving and leaving them.  They all lived, played and loved here at this home and large back yard. They all loved to lie under the apple tree or under the shade of the berry bushes.  I don't know if I can or should leave the ashes here.  What do you all suggest?  I guess I just can't let go...or say goodbye to any of them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:48:57 pm by smohr »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Lady has lost her fight
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:17:16 am »
My prayers go out to you, along with a big hug.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:23:45 am »
It is SO hard to lose them so young.  (I lost my two Newfs last year:  both were 3 years old!)  But rejoice in the life that she had with you.  You made her short life as good as it could be and now she's frolicing at the Bridge with all the other angels that are waiting for their loved ones to join them.  She's not in pain anymore!  She's free! 

We send our love, hugs and drools to you and wish you comfort!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:31:12 am »
Such a young life...such a brave girl...such an early goodbye.   

She'll be with you every time you close your eyes and time your heart beats.  We get to keep them forever since they are always part of us. 

I hope time heals your pain and opens the clouds for a ray of joy to shine down upon you.  We are all thinking of you.

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 10:01:04 am »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :(
So young but now her struggle with cancer is over and she is at peace.  Everytime you close your eyes you will see her smiling face, giving you drool filled kisses.  She'll always be with you in spirit and will be waiting at the bridge for you.
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Sending hugs to you :)
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 10:12:21 am »
I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your girl...Just remember to look for her wherever there is beauty & good...That's where her energy went....So long as she lives in your heart & you continue the circle of love she will never die.

Where To Bury A Dog

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

by Ben Hur Lampman

smohr

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 12:13:18 pm »
Thank you to all who are sending comforting words for my hurting heart.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 01:02:50 pm »
Im so sorry!!!  so young to have such a big disease....  You are in our prayers

ann

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 01:55:52 pm »

i'm so sorry for you..and i'm sure lady left this world feeling all your love..........
big slobbery kisses from dakota,madie &scout.........

ann

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 02:34:19 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss. No matter the size of our dogs, when they go they all leave a huge hole in our hearts.

I would scatter Lady's ashes in her favorite place as a tribute to her, but keep a small bit for yourself. I think it's comforting to have a small token of her to hold when you're feeling particularly down. Find a nice, small decorative vial or jar that can be sealed tightly and keep it in a special place that's easy to grab if you need to hold it and cry.

Be strong and be proud of yourself for not giving up on her and loving her as best you could for her short time with you.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 02:35:45 pm »
I didn't keep Missy's ashes.  I got instead a heart shaped clay paw print of her paw when she died.  I have that in the house as a reminder.   

nickerbokker

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 02:44:22 pm »
i am sooo sorry for your loss.  i lost my tyler in 2001 to lymphoma, he had just turned 3.  i understand your pain, and i understand your confussion. 

i have tylers ashes, and to this day i have not figured out how to properly set tyler free.  it's actually funny, jaime got in my car the other week right after i moved here, and tyler was still in the front, and she was like, "what's that"..and i replied with, "oh, that's tyler!".  the look on her face was priceless!  i keep him in my room, on a little heart shaped table, because i have not figured out where he should be burried.  whenever anyone sees his box (yes i got the white, cardboard box cuz i thought i would bury him right away), and they find out its him, i get the strangest, most disgusted look.  i am glad i didn't put him in the backyard at my old house, because for one i am not there...two, my family wont be there forever and i dont want to leave him behind.  BUT, i feel terrible not letting him rest somewhere!  i have considered the ocean, but he has never been to the ocean....i considered the mountains, but he has never been there either.  the only place he has really been was in the backyard.  so i am at a loss as well.  i am still looking for that special place, and once i find it, i will let you know!

i again, am soo sorry for your loss.  the only words i can offer is that we here on BPO are a kind of family.  we all understand eachother, and our issues (love) for dogs.  we all are comforted by eachother....a nd therefore, i believe, that in that meadow at the end of the bridge, all of our dogs love and play with eachother.  and im sure, your baby, has been welcomed by the BPO gang!

stay strong, and we are always here!!!

nicki, cody, and angus wangus 

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 03:55:27 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss, you are in my thoughts and prayers, it will get better one day at a time, stay strong.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 07:39:56 pm »
Your question got me thinking about my parents ashes. Some of my dads ashes are in the family plot at the cematary with my mothers ashes, and some are on the farm where he grew up. I left them at the spots that they knew, that was special to them. I keep my parents in the only place that will hold them, and for you, the only place to keep your pets is in you heart.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 10:35:11 am »
Im so sorry to hear of your loss.
Carolyn
Carolyn