Author Topic: Found a lump on Bo...  (Read 12318 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Found a lump on Bo...
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:17:04 am »
Hey BPO-ers!  I haven't been around for a while...busy with work & life (and husband's pre-Christmas pink slip).  I wanted to pose a question to the group for thoughts as I'm out of my depth on this one.

We discovered a lump on Bo's right side (just in front of her right leg...I guess it's like a dog leg armpit area) over the weekend.  It's about 1" in length and shaped like a football.  It's a solid mass, but it seems as though you can move it (although since this is my first experience with it, I don't know if I'm actually moving it or if that's the skin).  It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain, although when I was pressing on it the other day, she turned her head to explore what I was doing to her.  I have an appointment scheduled with the vet for Thursday, but one of the reasons I'm concerned is that she had a seizure about three weeks ago, pretty much out of nowhere.  The vet attributed it to the Reconcile (prozac) she was on for seperation anxiety, but since she'd been on it for over a year with not seizure behavior, I wasn't too sure about that diagnosis.  That was before we found the lump.  Anyway, I know that we can't know anything until the vet looks at it, but I wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion as to questions I should ask or things I should look out for.  Thanks for reading & responding...I appreciate the support and information!!

Jenn in CA. 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Found a lump on Bo...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:17:15 am »
A mass on her leg is not likely related to seizures, but let the vet confirm that. I haven't study Prozac recently but some neurological drugs have more side effects after long term use, including seizures.  And some neurological drugs have more side effects if the dose is lowered or discontinued.

If the mass feels like a solitary lump (as opposed to integrated into the tissue like a bad bruise) that usually has a better outcome.  I've seen several dogs get fatty masses under their skin.  My late Pyr, Roxy had a couple of fatty masses when I rescued her, one at her ampit.  The vet could have removed them, but they weren't painful or restricted her movement, she was old, so we let them be.  My mother's dog has one that we just keep an eye on to make sure it isn't getting bigger.  Even to get a biopsy usually requires the dogs go under anesthesia, which I try to avoid, especially in older dogs.  But as long as it's a distinctive mass, if you choose to remove it, the surgery is easier.

Good luck

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:19:27 am »
Lots of dogs get cysts especially as they get older and they are usually benign and no big deal at all. Hopefully that is all it is.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:43:17 am »
I'm hoping it's just a fatty tumor...that would be the best explanation, for sure!!  Again, since it's my first go-around with lumps of any kind, I'm a little nervous, but hopeful that it's nothing.  When I called the vet, I had to preface the conversation with the fact that I'm a total hypochondriac when it comes to my dog!!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:49 am »
Im not sure if dogs have lymph nodes in thier arm pit areas like humans do but that could be one and if it is it could be because she has an infection going on some where.
When my Akita gets her eye infections and when she developed a cyst over her eye the lymph nodes on her neck would swell.  They felt like almonds only a little bit larger.
It could be nothing, but I would see the vet just to be safe.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:56 pm »
It's a good idea to have it checked out.  I agree that older dogs get these lumps especially on the legs as they age.  I would have him poke it with a needle and have it tested for sure.  I bet that's what he does at the visit anyway. 
Grace has a lumpo on her stubby the vet forgot to remove in Dec. during her ACL surgery.  he poked it, tested it and it was beneign.  It's basically scar tissue.  but solid lumps always warrant a look.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:52 am »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!  Bo's lump is actually on her side...just before where her back leg connects with her torso.  I'm sure it's nothing and she doesn't seem to be feeling badly, so I am hopeful that it will be a benign visit to the vet's tomorrow. The worst thing will probably be just getting her there, since she becomes IMMOVABLE when she goes to the vet!!  She HATES it there and makes it well known with all 132lbs of herself!

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Found a lump on Bo...**UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:56:21 am »
Good News!  It's just a lipoma (fatty tumor).  I think her offical diagnosis was "Fatty Bo Batty" as the vet seemed more concerned with me bringing her weight (135.5lbs)down than the "hard boiled egg" shaped lump!! =)  He also confirmed that the seizures were not related to the tumor and gave us guidelines of what to look for in regards to changes in seizure frequency and tumor density. 
=)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:58:22 am »
that is great news!!!  Those fatty lumps are so common in older dogs.  :)  Whoo Ho!

Grace was also ordered to get her weight down.  I cut down on people food 95% and she lost 10 pounds before her ACL in December.  then after a month of recovery and no exersice, she gained 8 back.  They overlooked that.  now, with spring coming, she needs to get out more and we already have been walking in this cold...at least on nice days.  She'll get her weight down. 
I guess my point is ... like people, dogs tend to be less active or have less opportunity to be active in the winter.  not to worry...the weight will come off with a little determination and leg grease and fewer goodies.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:01:22 am by Lin »

lookingfornewf

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:05:09 am »
I'm really happy to hear it was nothing serious.
I don't think fatty tumors have anything to do with being fat. There are certainly worse diagnosis than being fat, so overall sounds like a good outcome.

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:31:05 am »
Great to hear the good news!  It's nice to know we aren't the only one that gets strange bumps and lumps as we grow older.

My mother's dog has seizures and at this point we just monitor them. He just stiffens up strangely for a few minutes.  He has occassionally fallen, but he's a Jack Russell so doesn't have far too fall ;D.  As long as the seizures aren't too frequent (Jocko has less than 6 a year) we'll keep him off seizure medication.  If he starts the medication, he will have to have it everyday for life.

My dogs don't have weight problems, but I've heard canned pumpkin may help a dog loose weight.  It's tasty, filling, low in calories and high in fiber.  Maybe I should try it. ;D

Kirsti

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 01:22:34 pm »
Sammi got them a lot too. I'm glad everything worked out!

~Kirsti