Author Topic: Any such thing as a healthy Newf? Uugg, can't take much more!!!  (Read 10864 times)

jesday

Any such thing as a healthy Newf? Uugg, can't take much more!!!
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:22:30 pm »
First of all, I love my bubs more than anything, but seriously, would we have gotten these babies if we knew what we were in for.

Let's see: First Sophie with chronic staff infections and hot spots which we are still fighting.

Then Syrus diagnosed with Elbow dysplasia of which nothing can be done except life-long medication.

Next Sophie again with not one, but two blown ACL's.

And now back to Syrus who looks like he may have Hypothyroidsim . If not treated can lead to some severe problems.

All this at the ripe old age of 18 months old.

We keep thinking, once we find the right dog food, it will clear up Sophie's skin problems. Just need to watch Syrus to make sure his ED meds are working. Just finish Sophie's second surgery and she'll be good as new. THEN..... we can get down to life with two of the most wonderful bubs we've ever had and go hiking and camping and swimming and just enjoy them. Is there any such thing as 'finally'?

Sorry, I needed to vent a little. This is all happening at the same time Chili is starting to show signs of his age and heart related problems. But you'd expect some problems with a 14yr old Chi. I feel like I'm running a nursing home for for dogs. I keep all these meds on my kitchen counter just for the bubs. If Syrus does have Thyroid disease, there'll be more.

I love them, but goodness gracious!

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Any such thing as a healthy Newf? Uugg, can't take much more!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:25:43 pm »
Aw, I'm sorry Elizabeth!
Oh a side note, you have lovely kitchen counters! :D
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »
So sorry for all of your problems. What is going on with Syrus that you think he has thyroid problems?

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:24:39 pm »
Oh Elizabeth - I feel your pain!  

Even though we knew how high maintenance Newfs could be, we're still amazed at just how easy our mixed breeds were by comparison!

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »
I totally get you and have spent many tearful nights wishing the same thing. He has elbow dysplasia & is on meds forever too. I guess with big dogs cone bigproblems. Love them, cry & vent here, and know that you are not alone. Hang in there! And hopefully once they get a bit older with solidified joints the problems will fewer and farther between.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

jesday

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:38 pm »
So sorry for all of your problems. What is going on with Syrus that you think he has thyroid problems?
The latest factor that got my vet putting things together is his weight gain. He now weighs 146.6 at 18months but only eats 3cups of dry food mixed with 1/2 can once a day. Sometimes he doesn't even eat all of that. Now you add his duller, oilier coat. And lately he smells really bad particularly in his chest mane. We thought he was slobbering too much combined with food and outside wetness and were afraid he was never getting dry to the skin and the skin was getting irritated, but never found any problems there. The smell would go away for about a day after a bath, but always came back. And finally he has become extremely lethargic lately.

Now all of these can describe a Newf in and of itself, but put them all together and suspicions arise. We're going to test him in 3 weeks. We just got them vaccinated and need to take him off Duramax for awhile before we do.

Sigh :( - At least now I know my purpose on this earth. :D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:12:24 pm »
Aw, I'm sorry Elizabeth!
Oh a side note, you have lovely kitchen counters! :D

And a wonderful view!

Seriously, Elizabeth, I can relate.  Sierra has had her skin problems since 9 months and it has only disappeared recently.  I know it's not the same sverity as the issues with your babies, but I know the frustration and feeling of helplessness that you can't do anything to help them get better.  It was to the point where I was sobbing on Jeff's shoulder because I really believed she'd be tearing at herself scratching for the rest of her life.  I wish I could tell you what stopped her itching, but I honestly don't know.  Two vets and a couple thousand dollars later, we still don't know what it was, but I am not changing anything just in case I did something to help her without realizing it.  The breeder I am getting the puppy from said she may have just grown out of whatever it was.

I hope this is the case for Sophie and her skin clears up soon.  As for poor Syrus, well, it sounds as if he has his own set of problems.  Just try to stay positive and know that they love you and know you are trying to help them.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:17:34 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it lately.   You know what they say, when it rains, it pours.

And although mine don't have the health concerns of yours, I do seem to be in the vet every other month if not more for one thing or another.  :P

jesday

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 04:25:00 am »
Thanks guys. In a twisted kind of way I find comfort in the fact others are having similar issues with their bubs. Not wishing problems on anyone, but knowing it's not just us.

It's hard not to think we must have messed up somehow. Let them play too hard, fed the wrong food, missed a hot spot that got out of control. It just seems to be the nature of the breed. So be it. The rest of the 'nature' of the breed so outweighs the bad. I'm guessing with all that we are learning and experiencing with them there will still be more Newfs in our future. ;)

(Thanks for counter compliments as well. I absolutely love it. I'll have to get a better camera and try to get a shot of the pair of bald eagles that sore past the window as well.)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »
Thanks guys. In a twisted kind of way I find comfort in the fact others are having similar issues with their bubs. Not wishing problems on anyone, but knowing it's not just us.

It's hard not to think we must have messed up somehow. Let them play too hard, fed the wrong food, missed a hot spot that got out of control. It just seems to be the nature of the breed. So be it. The rest of the 'nature' of the breed so outweighs the bad. I'm guessing with all that we are learning and experiencing with them there will still be more Newfs in our future. ;)

I totally hear you. Bear is our first dog as adults & the learning curve has been steep. We'll definitely be more informed for the next dog.

Be glad he has a thyroid problem that can be treated. Bear gained lots of weight post neuter last year (he was 5 1/2 years old) and we hoped it was a thyroid problem. Nope!  ::) He's just fat due to us & is now on a major diet.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:39 pm »
My sympathies... been there with our first Newf. She had her own double-size pill organizer and the thickest file at the vet's office. Actually, she had a pretty big file at the vet hospital, too (including cruciate ligament TPLO surgery - more of my sympathies for your poor Sophie!).

But they are stoic creatures, aren't they? So good-natured, even when most humans in the same condition would be pretty snippy.

Mayhem the pup is so far pretty healthy (knock on wood), except that dog food (Precise brand - supposed to be relatively good quality, no?) gives her the runny p00s. She gets rice, chicken, veggies, cottage cheese, etc. Seems to work, and she loves it!!
Kylie
Owned by Mayhem, 1.5 yr-old Newfie

Chumley, Newfie, 1996-2008

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:26 pm »
Our first newf was purchased from a unscrupulous breeder. She falsified the vets records and gave us a newf that had an incurable enlarged heart. This is going to sound funny, but we were so blessed to have had him. We spared no exspense to give him the best quality of life for 6 months. We were honored to give him that, otherwise he would have been Euthanized way to early. We would do it again in a heart beat. We would sell all earthly belongings for our dogs, thats just who we are. We now have 3 newfs, 2 are 9 months old, and a 9 year old who has led a very healthy life so far! Just some food for thought. Good luck and hang in there.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:57:16 am by LDT »
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 07:24:12 pm »
It is very hard for you to have to deal with all those problems. As said before hypothyroidism is relatively easy to deal with.
I have had newfs since 1980. I think I have been lucky insofar i have not had to many joint problems...... ........But when i got my Rescue newf Annabelle, we had a lot of skin issues. We have finally decided she has a wheat allergy.And seems to have a processed food issue. We have now gone completely RAW with her and it has made such an incredible improvement. She had hairloss, weight loss, smelly ears and hot spots. She is now a happy shiny good weight newf. We have had her since May 08. So she eats lots of different meats, fruit, veggies and gets some rice and oats. On top of that lots of large bones.
I wish you good health with your dogs, take care :)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos