Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Jack_CIA09

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Need Advice
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:29:26 am »
I just graduated from college in upstate NY and am moving to TX with my future wife and my two boys. I have a Bernese Mountain Dog (Bubba) and a Dachshund (Racer). They are best friends and love to play. I'm concerned about how Bubba is going to handle the heat in TX after living in upstate for all of his life, and the best way to make it comfortable for him. I've heard mixed advice on shaving Bernese that that their longer hair supposedly keeps them cool, but I can't see how that is possible. I already have him a cooling mat, kiddie pool, and many fans and ac units to cool the house, but wondering what else I can do for the guy to make the change easier on him.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:38:19 am »
Thin the fur.  A groomer can do it or use a Furminator. 

I actually have never thinned their fur, though I keep planning on it. Got a Furminator last fall. I have Great Pyrenees in Southern California.  I have cut their hair down to about an inch. Many owners around here shave their Pyrs in late spring.  I've known a few who just have the dogs sheared along with the sheep.   I've adopted 2 Pyrs whose previous owners shaved them.  But the dogs just look too silly for me and it takes a long time for the fur to grow back.  Pyrs are low energy dogs, so mine just spend most of their time sleeping in the shade, with or without fur.

Offline Jack_CIA09

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:57:23 am »
I'm moving to College Station a few miles away from A&M. I have a few classmates that were from Texas, but the closest guy as from Austin. He still told me the summers were hot and humid. Bubba loves to swim and up here during the past summer months I take him swimming in the Hudson and it cools him off and wears him out I don't know if College Station has any lakes or rivers for him to swim in. I also worry about his curiosity and running into other animals that are not so friendly, like snakes for instance. During the hotter part of the days I figure I'd keep him inside, but would still want to take him to dog parks to play around and socialize with other dogs, and just wonder if anyone would actually be up during the cooler parts of the day.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 04:01:36 am »
I live in San Antonio with my 2 lab mixes and the dog parks ALWAYS have dogs in them - even when it's almost too dark to see.

I've heard the longer hair on dogs keeps them cool when the breeze blows through it, but I'm not sold on that theory. I had a collie mix in south Louisiana and started shaving him in the summers. He hated me for the haircut, but was visibly more comfortable without the extra hair.

Welcome to the Texas BPOs!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:08:27 am »
I have a Great Pyrenees, and although I don't live anywhere near Texas, I thought I'd put in my two cents.  ;)  Come spring and summer time I use my Furminator every few days, just a quick once over.  I don't usually spend more then 20-30 minutes on it, and she is happy to be outside for walks, trips to the park, etc.  On REALLY hot days like when it gets to the high 30s or low 40s (Celcius), I keep her inside and she hangs out by the AC registers.  I've tried getting her a kiddy pool to hang out in, but she eats them, so that's a no go for us, but it might work well for you.  ;)  BTW, welcome to BPO!  We'd love to see pictures of your crew!  :D :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:29:36 pm »
I don't live in the south, but in the midwest the summers get mighty hot (and humid) and we did spend 2 yrs in southern Ca. 

I would never consider shaving Keiko down.  I do believe their coats protect them just as much from the cold as they do from the heat (w/i reason of course). 

We just leave our activities to mornings and evenings during the warmer months.  And take in a lake or two when we can.