Author Topic: I'm Curious  (Read 5382 times)

NewDaneMom

I'm Curious
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:44:21 am »
I've noticed this with pretty much every dog I've ever had, but Elliot seems to be more extreme. Do your doggies "dream"? Or at least look like it? What does that mean? Elliot cries really loud in his sleep and I usually wake him up and tell him he's OK but my better half always tells me to leave him alone. Our mixed breed Maggie does this too, but only once in a while where he seems to do it all the time. I think I just notice it more because he's a lazy Great Dane and sleeps a whole lot more than she does. I've always been curious about what it actually is though and I'd be interested in your opinions.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: I'm Curious
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:15:48 am »
Some of you may remember that Derby came from my friend Tracy who was killed. Most likely, Derby witnessed it. After it happened Tracy's mom had Derby until I came to get him. She said for the first few weeks she had Derby, he would have night terrors - literally screaming in his sleep.

I have no other explanation other than, YES, they do dream. Derby still dreams a lot. He makes this "woo, woo, woo" noise now. I say he's dreaming about the three stooges.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:35 pm »
Grace goes to town when she's asleep.  her little feet jerk and kick and her stubby wiggles.  Then she woofs this little squeeky bark and her lips flap and the whole 9 yards.  i figure she's running in the ultimate park after a big ole squirrel

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:53:44 am »
Athena is a huge dreamer. She runs to the point she nearly kicks me out of bed. Barks and wags her tail like crazy. Aurora just twitches. They are so cute when they are wagging and snoring at the same time. ;D
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:58:15 am »
Yup, all my puppers dream.  But keiko seems to do it the most often, and is the loudest....... lol.  Gunther seems to kick the most, although has toned that down in the last year or two.

Nigel and Posey are high pitched whiners during dreaming, and have small tremors rather than out and out kicking that Gunther and Keiko do.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:50 pm »
Both Butt and Tub twitch when they dream.Tub moves his feet in the cutest way. They only time I wake them when they are dream running is when I'm trying to sleep and they are repeatedly kicking me.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:42 pm »
This is a cute topic.
Miss Naja will twitch her feet like she's running, and will make sounds like she's chewing on something, kinda like lip smacking sound. lol  I love it though when she does her WOO WOO's or makes little Boof noises.  I try not to wake her when she's dreaming, unless it looks like she's having a nightmare, 'cause I'd want someone to do the same for me.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

jesday

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:57:21 am »
I don't know if my bubs make dream sounds because they don't want to sleep in the house. Bedtime they want out to cool garage.

But Chili does little whoops in his sleep. You know he is barking at some huge dog and he's in charge. It's funny when he's on my lap under the blanket and he does this.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
Kedge dreams a lot still, its very cute to watch and listen to.  Mojo sometimes howls in his sleep, and he is always running.  They both do what we call "ribbits", though it sounds more like Humpback whales singing, "woop woop woop.."

Faust and Zeo rarely run or make noise in their sleep and Kida barely even twitches.  Though she loves to stick her head up at a 90 degree angle and SNORE.  lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.