Mastiffs > Bullmastiff Discussions & Pictures

Our office visit confrontation today and a "1 year check-up"update on Gunner

(1/3) > >>

KiraNGunnersmom:
I brought Gunner in for his weigh in and 1 year check-up and this woman asked what breed he was. 
Her question was more of a statment,"He looks like a mastiff, maybe bullmastiff mixed with something, maybe pitbull."
I respond with, "he is a mastiff....(didnt get to finish my sentence and she replies) He looks to be a bit poorly bred because he is awful small for a mastiff, maybe he is mixed with a lab.
I reply with he is a mastiff mix, english/bullmastiff.
Her, "oh, goodness, your poor baby.  his parents must have awful conformation. 
I hope you didnt pay too much for him.
I asked her what makes her say that, she says he doesnt have a full black mask, he is small(his mother,bully, only weighes between 100-125 lbs) his nose is too long, his ears are too long and arent black.  He just doesnt have the stock to be a beautiful majestic mastiff.
I then replied with....we actually picked him because he didnt have a full mask, it set him apart from his siblings, his mom is small, but dad is huge 200+lbs and if he stays small, Im ok with that,  just as long as he is healthy and happy.   I dont care if you dont think he is beautiful or majestic, he loves me and I love him.
 We didnt get him to be a show dog or arm candy, he is a companion and family member.  I dont pick my pets for others approval.
She says,  you should care because you dont know what health issues may come up with him being mixed.  WHAT???
I told her, unless she was an expert and a reputable breeder of mastiffs, she need not speak to me any longer.
I was PI$$ed and surprised I didnt tell her to ram it!
The nerve of some people!!!!

On another note, my small mastiff mix at 1 year old weighs in at 110lbs...down 5 since we have started him on raw feeding.  Vet says for the next month, to bring him in for weekly weigh ins so we can adjust his food to support his growth.
Vet says he is perfect where he is, losing t he 5 lbs was ok since he is only 1 year old and still growing.  he doesnt want him to be overweight at all, not even by 5 lbs. but doesnt want him losing any more weight either.
I was totally surprised that he supported raw feeding as one of the other vets there doesnt and is very against it,
He says, as long as the pup and parents are healthy and happy and getting the proper nutrution he doesnt like to butt heads.  He says to keep on doing everything we are doing with Gunner, that he is a healthy, well mannered and trained boy with a wonderful personality.
I think I like this guy....lol!

marinafb:

How rude some people should learn to keep there thoughts to themselves! When i first brought Bryce home i had this woman tell me i never saw a Brindle Mastiff before there aren't any mastiffs that are Brindle he can't be a Mastiff! Whatever

Moni:
What a nasty lady!   ::)  I guess there will always be rotten over opinionated people in the world, unfortunately.

At least Gunner was doing well otherwise!  :)

NewfFan:
Wow, Michelle, you shoulda let her have it, what a nosey old bag! BUT I am glad to hear that Mr Gunner is doing so wonderful!

MagicM3:
Michelle..I comend you on your *calm and assertive energy*
that probably pi$$ed off that ol busy body more than if you responded otherwise....

So happy to hear great news instead of sad..sounds like you have a great VET..

Gunner has a great MOM and you showed him that in a place where lots of dogs get very stressed out..

We at our house are proud of you..and you can vent any time with us..

TATFK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version