Author Topic: Cleaning ears?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Cleaning ears?
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:11:24 pm »
I've never had to clean my dog's ears before, and Daisy has some gunk in both of hers. I suspect the gunk is from running around in the barn for a week and getting as dirty as she possibly could. Can anyone explain to me how to clean her ears, and what to use?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning ears?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:28:58 am »
I've used a few different things in the past.

I used to use hydrogen peroxide.  But I ran out of that some time ago and they're always out of it at the store (unless I want a gallon of it).  So now I use Listerine.  I konw, sounds weird but it is a great cleaner and it makes their ears smell oh so fresh.......lo l.  ;)  Plus I always have that on hand.

Depending on the dog, I either use a cotton ball, or Q-tip to clean the ears.  Or in Gunther's case, both.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:31:01 am »
Naja and Moo both have yucky ears.  I have a solution my vet gave me.  I'm supposed to squirt some of it in the ear when it's particularly yucky, massage it around for 1 minute then scoop it out with a cotton ball.  But we only do that when it's really bad, other then that I use Hollys method of the baby wipes, or sometimes a cotton ball with cleaning solution on it instead of right in the ear.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:22:08 pm »
Thanks all! I did the baby wipes today, and they worked like a charm! Oh so easy! Thanks for ALL the suggestions though!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding