Author Topic: Rally Obedience with a Pyr - anyone try it?  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Rally Obedience with a Pyr - anyone try it?
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:23:21 pm »
While we're on a training break I'm looking for the next thing for Ursa and I to tackle together now that she's finished her CGC.  I'm really interested in Rally because, while Ursa may not be the most easily motivated dog in the world, she seems to enjoy going to class.  I feel like she'd miss the bonding time and the mental stimulation if we stopped training. 

Anyone here ever tried Rally with a Pyr?  If so, how did it go?  Are there other activities that you've tried that you felt were more "Pyr friendly"? 

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Rally Obedience with a Pyr - anyone try it?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:43:14 am »
I don't think there is any activity that is Pyr friendly besides carting  :-\
Lily and I do a little bit of everything; obedience, rally, agility, tracking and carting. Most of the dogs in ALL the classes we take are quite hyper and VERY food motivated.

It was very hard for me for the first few years as I had to learn the breed itself, personality of my own dog, dealing with instructors, etc. It was not easy seeing dogs that are so fast and so willing to do things and Lily could be so good one day and REALLY bad the other.

I have learned to enjoy our training and have totally different expectations from my Pyr. She really loves agility!!! And even though she is not as fast as hunting or sporting dogs she impresses people by her performances all the time now.

Rally is a great activity! It is much less stressful than obedience and is a great way to bond with pups  ;D

We are now showing in Advanced Class and I am having a REAL problem of keep Lily away from a jump  :D As soon as she sees it she runs away and goes over! LOL Silly dog  ::) :P

Anyway, don't be afraid to try it and I am sure you will enjoy it  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »
I know what you mean about dealing with those pesky "born to please" dogs -  ;D  We've already run into several of those.  It is hard sometimes when all of the other dogs are so darned cooperative and she's giving me the "you MUST be joking" look! 

Carting is an option as well if I can ever get the local Berner group to answer my email.  Our Newf group doesn't have training classes for carting but I hear that the Berners do.  Hopefully they won't mind some non BMD folks joining them.

I wonder if I can find a Rally instructor that's ever worked with a Pyr or similarly independent dog?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:15:59 pm »

Carting is an option as well if I can ever get the local Berner group to answer my email.  Our Newf group doesn't have training classes for carting but I hear that the Berners do.  Hopefully they won't mind some non BMD folks joining them.

I wonder if I can find a Rally instructor that's ever worked with a Pyr or similarly independent dog?

I can pretty much guarantee that you will not find an instructor who worked with Pyrs and if you do I really hope you will share the knowledge. :) There are about 15 people in the WHOLE country who train Pyrs and that's it!  What you have to do is to explain to instructors that you know your dog and that whatever applies to Goldens doesn't apply to Pyrs. I had instructors who used positive methods and gave up in Lily all together and I had instructors who would correct dogs and they too gave up on Lily. Pyrs really need to be outsmarted and you need to make a clown out of yourself to show them how happy you are when they actually offer you work  :P

The best way to show what Pyrs are about is to bring statistics to instructors; Pyrs only need to have CDX or CD and RN or CD and NAJ to be in HOF. Let me tell you, people laugh when they hear that  ::)

As for carting, you can buy a nice DVD from Berners Club that will show you exactly what you have to do. You really can do it all in the local park or backyard, if you have one.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:46:56 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:59:00 pm »
I'm sure you're right.  Pyrs are everywhere in N TX but they all seem to be either working LGDs or owned by people who value their sanity too much to try Rally with them!   ;D

I have a little bit of experience with telling instructors what makes a Pyr special (remember the "no - we don't do tricks at my house" speech?) and I'm not shy about making an idiot of myself if it works.  I've laid down on the floor in Petsmart to get her to come and you should see my down stay Tai Chi manuevers (used to get her used to me turning my back on her and walking away)!  Sounds like I'll need all of those "standing up for my breed" skills if I want to try Rally with her.

If she has fun and stays mentally sharp then it will all be worth it though!

Thanks for the info about the DVD.  I'm going to have to get a copy of that.

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:32:54 pm »
I hope to cart with my Pyrs in the near future.  I'm still customizing the harness and making the training wheels.  I joined a Yahoo group that is incredibly helpful http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Carting-L/

There is a lot of experience in this group, some of them are coordinators or judges for the clubs.  They also have a lot of files and links to find instructions for the equipment or vendors.  And of course, lots of pictures.

Diana

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:37:33 am »
You're making your own training wheels?  How cool is that?  I'm not that mechanically inclined!  You HAVE to post pictures when you get them done!

I think the Doggy Daddy is signed up for the Carting L - I'm going to have to sign up myself though.

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:04 pm »
The training wheels are a very simple PVC frame.  There is a picture of it in the Carting group.  Working with PVC (especially if it doesn't need to be water-tight) is easier than playing with Lego blocks.  Cut the PVC and paste together.  I did decide to go cheap with the tires and just bought a used little girl's bike.  I'll have to get a little creative about attaching them to the frame, but it's still pretty simple.  The Carting group shows a lot of examples of carts and wagons, and provides some instructions.