Author Topic: Man Forced to Wear Sign for Animal Cruelty  (Read 6435 times)

Offline jen n lexy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Man Forced to Wear Sign for Animal Cruelty
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:54:42 pm »
July 22, 2005 7:26 PM EDT

HOPWOOD, Pa. - A western Pennsylvania man said he endured more than he expected when he agreed to an unusual sentence for an animal cruelty conviction.

Ulysses Zimmerman, 22, of Point Marion, pleaded guilty to animal cruelty for allegedly neglecting his dog, denying it veterinary care and strangling the animal.

But Zimmerman didn't pay a fine or spend time in jail. Instead, he stood at a busy intersection in South Union Township Thursday, wearing a sign that read, "I Plead Guilty ... Animal Cruelty is a Crime ... My Dog's Name WAS Salt and Pepper."

Zimmerman was supposed to stand at the intersection for eight hours, but Robin Moore, the Fayette County Humane officer who devised the sentence, allowed Zimmerman to leave early because of all the abuse passing motorists hurled at him.

"Everybody started screaming at me and cussing me. I got there at 9:30 a.m., but Robin said at noon that she'd heard enough and that I could leave," Zimmerman said.

Zimmerman denies he intentionally hurt his pet.
Jen n Lexeee

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Man Forced to Wear Sign for Animal Cruelty
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:13:10 pm »
Hahahaha...wis h someone would have stangled him back though. I think they should have made him pay his fine and get the emotional torment and embarrassment for the crime.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:23:48 pm »
This was posted on another website group I'm with.  You should have seen the outcry that he only had to carry a sign for a short period of time, not even the whole alloted time.  He got off too easy, if you ask me.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:55:47 pm »
Oh my heart bleeds purple pi** at he verbal abuse he had to endure...How very friggin sad for him...I am just shaking my head that he could do what he did & then get off early on his "sentence" because of people being mean to him....So friggin sad he had to endure people throwing the TRUTH AT HIM....What a sad pathetic excuse for a man & human being.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:33:44 am »
He should have had to endure the same neglect and abuse his poor dog did...that would have only been fair

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:19:40 am »
I agree with what everyone has said.  Sadly he probably didnt learn much from this, and I say they went to easy on him. 
Some people should not be allowed to have pets >:(   
Animal cruelty breaks my heart, its the absolute worst in my book!
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!