Author Topic: People scared of my puppy just because she going to be a big Newfie  (Read 16659 times)

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
My vet recommended that I take my puppy to puppy socialization classes, which I agree is a good thing. The only thing in my area are obedience classes at a petstore chain. So I signed up and I have all puppies in my class.

Three of the puppies are SharPei mixes (all in the same family, dogs and people), and a doberman and poodle mix.  Well everyone is afraid to let the puppies play.  Even though the trainer tells us the normal stuff and the stuff to watch out for, nobody will let my puppy play with theirs, or they will start and if I puppy just stands over the other dog, they get all nervous and pull their dog away. 

What gets me is that one of the guys of a Shar Pei tells me today that I need to get a handle on my dog because she will only get bigger and I won't be able to control her. Well that is why I am taking classes, so I am doing the right thing.  My dog IS rambunctious and not shy at all, but only wants to play, she knows her commands well.  She is gentle with my other older dog (10yrs. old)  (but he doesn't' want to play either), my 3 guinea pigs, and a cockatiel. She isn't aggressive in any way.

I talked to my trainer privately and he said there was nothing wrong with my dog, in fact he said she is very friendly. He even offered to bring in his dog to play with my puppy because he also agrees it is important to learn how to play with other dogs.  But he can't tell owners to let their dogs off their leashes because of the store's policy.  These people won't even let them play while holding on to them with the leases. This guy even told me that he doesn't believe that big dogs with spike collars should be allowed in the store.  ::)

A tech at my vet's office gave me her business card to set up a play date with her 2 golden retrievers. She knows my dog and how friendly and how good the breed usually is.

So is this a common thing for dog owners of big dogs face?  Do many people just assume that a big dog is dangerous?

Here is my blog that has pictures of my dogs and other stuff.  http://psychoflowers.blogspot.com/

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: People scared of my puppy just because she going to be a big Newfie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:25:33 pm »
Welcome to the world of the big paw!

We've had this happen as well.  Ursa was always the biggest dog in puppy class and the other owners were afraid of her hurting their dogs despite the fact that we never let her off leash.  In a way I can understand that.  Ursa was a puppy and played like a puppy but had no idea of her size.  She could have hurt a much smaller dog without meaning too.  I always kept a close eye on her because I would have felt terrible if someone else's puppy got hurt.  

Things do get better as you continue in classes.  The intermediate and advanced classes that we've been in have mostly been larger dogs.  My guess is that a lot of small dog owners don't see the need for more advanced obedience so they tend to fall by the wayside.  Until then take advantage of the play dates to socialize her.

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »
I know the trainer is good about switching classes, so I will see what he has.  Other than my class, when I take my dog into Petsmart, people go crazy wanting to meet her, and she wants to meet them too just as much. She is so outgoing and I love it!  I guess that is why the class took me off guard. When I was in another class one day, which had a pug, and the owners let the two play and they did great.  The pug could walk under my dog already, it was funny!

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »
Thanks Ursa,

I love training such a smart dog, it makes me feel like I am so talented or something! haha!  But really it is the dog! I do plan on advanced training since I really want her know how to behave, especially because of her size. I was thinking maybe I would like her to be therapy trained too.
I feel like I have a "new" love in life, who happens to be a dog!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:58:21 pm »
I have had this happen as well.  I've never taken training classes I do my own training.  But we do frequent the dog park.

When Gunther was about 4, maybe 5 mo old, I got yelled at for letting him play with his choc lab.  His dog was not a puppy either.  But didn't like that Gunther was biting on her neck.

I'm surprised at the other people in your class.  Shar peis are not small dogs........un less those guys are mixed with something smaller.  Neither is a dobie.  Not sure if the poodle mix mentioned is a toy or mini or standard so won't comment on that one.  I would think someone would let their dog play with yours.

But I agree if you can't get on with the people there, switching classes may be the way to go.  that's great that a vet tech wanted a play date with your pup, that should be fun.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 03:22:03 am »
I had the same issue with Binky and Sophie.  I just let things run their course and by the end of class, people were in love with them.   Binky has grown into a well trained rep of big dogs- calm, gentle, etc.  On the other hand, Sophie is wild, so while she is gentle, she scares people.  Definitely keep going to class so you won't end up with a crazy, leaping giant dog (not that it helped with Sophie ;) ) I would try to find a class that offers off leash time though- it really helped Binky and Sophie to learn that they are bigger and need to play a bit more gently.  Good luck. 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 03:45:18 am »
Welcome to BPO!  I have a similar issue with my pups.
Gunner loves to play but he likes rough, body slamming doggie play.  he isnt aggressive in any way but just too rough for some people's taste.
I need to find some new pup friends for him soon.  His lab buddies moved away when thier mom, my friend passed away and he got to play on occasion with a lab/dane mix, whose family is military and they have moved too.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:00:13 pm »
Thanks everyone!

It looks like this is something I will have to get used to.  Part of the reason I did pick this breed was for protection in a sense that strangers might be afraid to ever do anything bad to me, but I don't want a dog to be aggressive towards people, and Newfies fit the bill. So I am going to continue to train her and make the most of it.  Maybe next week during my spring break I can call up the vet tech and meet on her lunch hour!
Today my husband had the day off and he took Suzy Q (my newfies name) to the park with the kids to play volleyball.  She loved getting the missed balls, but she managed to destroy to inflatable balls.  I need to find an indestructible ball so she can roll it all around!
  Thanks again everyone, the warm welcome was nice.  I am finding myself getting addicted to this site! haha!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:27 am »
Hi and welcome to BPO!

It sounds like you are doing the right thing for sweet little Suzy Q.  And I use the term "little" loosely  ;D.  It just sounds like you have encountered a some good old fashioned big paw ignorance.  I didn't experience this while my Sierra was little, but I get it a lot now that she is grown.  She is 2 yrs old and starting to really fill out and gain some weight, and people are usually scooping up their little ankle biters when she approaches.  Most people are ok after I show them that her best buddy is our ankle biter Papillon, Cody.  The two are inseperable and Cody is undoubtedly doing something to Sierra like hanging off of her ears, tails or lips and Sierra's only reaction is to whine...never aggression.  I also like to explain that she is in training for her therapy dog test and people suddenly seem to see her in a different light.

Keep doing what you are doing with the socialization and training.  A well behaved dog is one of your best defenses against ignorance.  If she does nothing wrong, they have nothing to complain about it...
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:01:23 pm »
You all are so great (well I should have known you have Newfies)  I went into my training class today and she out preformed all of those doggies.  I keep thinking to myself, it is THE OWNERS not the dogs, the poor dogs. I heard one person say about me, there she goes, trying to get someone to play with her dog. I just laughed, at least one person was okay for a bit, and the trainer was watching and letting others know that it was playing and not fighting. 
Yesterday I had an awesome time at a local park.  There was some people with 2 labs and this other gorgeous dog, kinda like a gray lab, but I forgot what guys said he was.  I know he said it was a hunting dog. Well my suzie Q got to play with them and she was in heaven!  The guy was hitting balls with his golf club while dogs went to chase them.  It was great! Then they were throwing the balls into the creek and my Suzy Q wouldn't go in the deep water, but she looked at the others dogs with total amazement at what they were doing. haha! Poor Suzy Q was so tired she napped the rest of the evening. She could hardly climb the stairs to go to bed.

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:42 am »
Weimeraner maybe? Hang in there - my Pyr plays with almost any other dog in the park including pugs. It's hilarious.

That it!  I had to google to see what they look like.  They are beautiful dogs, but not enough fluff for me! haha!  Someday when I get a home in the country, I am going to have a Pyr and a Bernese Mountain dog also! 

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:32 am »
My guys play with dogs of all sizes at our local park, though I try to keep them away from really small dogs just because I'm afraid they might step on them. The one thing they just can't resist is a tiny, white, fluffy dog running, LOL! You learn pretty fast what signs the owners give off when they're uncomfortable with their dogs playing with yours (the dogs will tell your dogs in no uncertain terms, LOL!).
  You mean guinea pigs?  lol 

Tonda

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:11 am »
We tend to call them emancipated rodents. *grin*

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 01:18:16 pm »
ankle biter rodents, good image!  ;-)

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 10:54:29 pm »
I think most of us have had the same problem....... .......I was lucky at my last puppy class, because we had some lovely lab pups with great owners.
You will come across even more problems when your pup is bigger.
I have taught Annabelle to "drop", when we meet little dogs/puppies. She now does it automatically and says hello. i have found a lot of owners have taken to this. And we find that now they recognize Annabelle and allow her to meet and greet all the little dogs.  :)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos