Author Topic: How is Ellie doing?  (Read 9261 times)

lookingfornewf

How is Ellie doing?
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:15:44 am »
I've been thinking about Ellie and wondering how is she doing? Was Tink happy to see her come home? Hope all is well.

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: How is Ellie doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »
Sorry, sorry, sorry. I have been a little self absorbed since Ellie came home.

She is literally bouncing off the walls, she doesn't look like she was ever sick or lost any weight at all!!!!!!!!

She came in the house and went after the cat and cleared the couch in one single leap. Tink,not to be outdone by her 40 lbs new sister thougth she would try it. Though not as graceful, she did manage to get her big butt over it. Needless to say I completely lost control of my house Friday night and loved every minute of it.

Dr. Dave said to keep her inactive for 2 weeks (yeah right) and to slowly introduce her normal food portions. She is already up to 6 cups and still hungry! No nausea and her stools are firm. She was only sent home on anti-diarhea meds for one week, no antibiotics. He told me to keep her away from other dogs and stay home for 30 days to help avoid furhter contaimination and to pick up her stool and bleach the ares where we pick it up. What must the neighbors have thought with Tim and his pooper scooper, me with my chemical sprayer, gloves and dogs in tow!!!!!!! This ate up most of our Saturday (they had both run 2 acres). We had been a little behind on poop patrol and had to pick up and spray all piles because we weren't sure which were Tinks and which were Ellies.

We are taking every precaution we possibly can and I have no doubt Ellie will be fine.

I also wanted to share something about my vet. Ellie was hospitalized for 4 days on IV solutions.

Cerenia
Covenia
Potassium
Vitamin B
Lactated Ringer(???)
6 cans of prescription dog food to take home
5 days of anti-diarhea meds to take home
Took her stiches out from her spay

Guess how much???? Anybody????

$453.50! Including tax.

My vet is amazing! I asked him if this was correct and he said it was but I think he was lying. I was expecting  a thousand dollar bill. I must do something special for them. They even came in overnight to see her and make sure she was OK. She really didn't even smell that bad when I picked her up. I think Lugene cleaned her up. I started to cry. They are absolutely amazing.

Ellie is taking to her new routine (yes I retook control of the house). A few accidents, but not many. She took to her crate well, sleeps through the night and snores like a pig!

She likes to eat toilet paper, rocks, mulch, sticks and DIG! She steals treats and toys right out of Tinks mouth, so I guess it is a good thing I didn't name her shy because she has turned into a pretty bold little girl.

Not to beat a dead horse but Tim and I really don't think "Ellie" fits and to be honest, it reminds me of the woman at the shelter who has been so horrible to me. Midnight is the deadline I told Tim. I will let you know tomorrow what we came up with.

Thanks for your patience and all your prayers and warm wishes. I am eternally greatful!!!!!!!! I promise to post updated picts tomorrow.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:25:47 pm »
I called the people that make the Trifectan(sp)they said they did not know what to treat the yard with either but that sun will help kill it.

My vet said that Ellie will not contract it again but she can infect other animals through her stool. Her stool continues to be contaminated but no one really knows for how long. We must bathe her regularly. We bleached the floors again and will continue to wash all clothes in color safe bleach. I would just feel awful if I infected someone elses pet because I got lazy and did not take the necessary precautions.

So, apparently 30 days is a good guestimate. If I take her anywhere it will be after a bath and after she has relieved herself. My vet does not need to see her again until the first week in April. I guess we won't be going to puppy school but will try basic obedience when she is about 6 months old. She can already sit for treats and her leash and she is getting better at down. She follows me every where in the yard and won't let us or Tink  out of her sight so I haven't even had her on a leash. She is a bright one and I don't think I will have any training issues with her.

Thanks for all the sanitation advice, you guys have always been the best with advice and your vast experience in food, health, etc. Thanks for being there.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:07:30 pm »
Updated picts of Miss Ellie and her big sister
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »
more picts
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:56 pm »
and a little more
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:29:09 am »
YAY!! I love hearing good news in the morning!! Bless your vet for being such a dear! It's going to be fun watching this little sweetie grow up.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:53 am »
So relieved to hear everything is going so well! Great pictures! In the first set of pix, where Tink is sharing her bed, is that a 'homespun halo' she is wearing? :) I know, I know, it's a basket in the background, but it sure looks like the perfect symbol of her behavior toward her new sister - pawsitively saintly! Kudos to your vet and his staff. That was fantastic care.
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:34:19 pm »
You will be happy to know we have settled on Harley for a new name.

1) We robbed Tim's motorcycle fund to pay her vet bill.
2) She snores like a shovel head idles.
3) I have always liked it and you can find lots of accessories with her name on it. She already has a harley davidson collar and Tim and I have a ton of Harley stuff.
4) Tinker and Harley kind of go together. Tim buys them cheap "tinkers with them" fixes them up and sells them. We just sold our 1980 hog last year and he is looking for his new project bike. I would prefer that he finds one we don't have to fart with but that is me.

Some of you will be happy to know Tonks was in the running and so was Suzuki Intruder but Harley ultimately won out. My 6 year old grandson is a little put out, he liked Wookie.

Anyway once upon a time the Harley was all American Made, tuff durable, an under dog if you will. With the proper care and babying or "tinkering" they will last forever!

Thanks for your patience and input. Harley has her new forever home and now a new forever name. She is idling on the floor as we speak.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 12:47:03 am »
Tim and I weighed Harley (at home) and according to our scale, she only weighs about 30 lbs. Allegedly, when the rescue took her to the vet March 4th she weighed 39 lbs. So somewhere along the way, she did lose about 9 lbs. I will check her weight each week and see how she is progressing. She isn't due back at the vet until the first of April. I also don't think she will get as big as a normal Newfy/Saint. Of course, with the IQ of these rescue people that may not even be her mix. Though I can kinda see it. I am thinking she will probably top between 80-90 lbs. What do you think?

My vet always told me to take their weight at 4 months and double it and that would be a good guess at a dog's adult weight. Worked for Tink, she was 60lbs at 4 months and she is right at 120 lbs. However, Harley really hasn't been fed properly and she has been sick so I hope she catches up. It is hard to tell what her norm is.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 02:37:53 am »
Soo glad she's doing well!!  Love the pics and the name!!!  Good luck keeping her still! Issy has a harley collar and the colors blend in perfectly with her coat color!!

I've told myself after I graduate next year and work for a few months my treat to myself is going to be a Harley.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 03:44:52 am »
I'm soooo glad she's home and feeling better. Love the pics.. she's beautiful!

I see Newfy and Saint. Who knows she might surprise you and outweigh Tink. ;) Bubba must be from really slow growing lines. He's 4 and and at each vet visit is still gaining weight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:46:39 am by Lyn »