Author Topic: miss my pyrs  (Read 13802 times)

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
miss my pyrs
« on: March 19, 2009, 02:04:50 am »
Hello everyone,
     I'm not sure that everyone knows me.  I have posted on the general board and on the newf board but I have not posted here.  I was the proud momma of a golden pyr mix who died of a stroke at the age of 10 about a year and a half ago.  I've also fostered for a great pyr rescue here in my area and have rescued a poor neighbor's pyr.  My rescue experience with pyrs has been rough. The neighbor's dog that I rescued turned out to be the love of my life and my biggest heartbreak.  He was a sweet boy, but would just freak out sometimes.  The mystery was solved when he turned 14 months old and one of his knee caps popped out of the socket.  He received surgery and recovered well.  However, about 3 months after the surgery his other knee cap popped out.  I had an appointment to get that one looked at.  In the meantime the knee cap that had be operated on also failed again.  When the surgeon saw him (I took him to a different vet) he said that the little fellow had the worst knees that he'd ever seen and that he was probably in constant pain.  That is why he was a little "wonky" personality wise sometimes.  He advised me to put him to sleep.  I agonized for a few weeks, but as Coop's pain got worse I realized it was the best thing to do.  He passed away in my lap at the age of 19 months old.  I still see his face, and I still cry about it.  Despite the pain that he was in he was my happy go lucky boy.  For months I couldn't get the image of Cooper lying ther out of my head.  If I saw a pyr I would burst into tears.  It was awful.  A friend suggested that I volunteer with a pyr rescue group.  I did, and I think it was the only thing that got my to accept and be at peace with Coop's passing.  Some of the foster dogs that I saw come through the group had been badly mistreated and were very distrustful of dogs and humans.  It seems to me that a pyr is like an elephant.  He never forgets.  I volunteered at some of the foster parent's houses trying to rehabilitate dogs with positive training.  It was very slow going with some of the dogs.  They were just so sad and leary of anyone of anything. 

About 1 year ago I started to miss having a BIG dog around.  So a researched several big, friendly type dogs.  The newfoundland hit the top of my list.  For some reason the stars have not aligned and I have not been able to get a newfie.  That's probably good considering that I'm still on the fence with the whole "high upkeep" coat issue. My pyr was very easy to care for.  Brush him twice a week.  If he got muddy let the mud dry and then brush it out.  Easy!!!  Newfs are NOT like that. 

So I turn again to what I think my heart is calling my to find... a pyr.  Now I am wrestling with myself.  I'd like to get a young puppy 6 months or younger.  I would also like to rescue the puppy, but then the issues I've had with temperment and health or back on the table.  This is my question to all of you savvy pyr owners.  Knowing the history that I have with rescyed pyrs... Is there a way to get a good pyr from rescue?  Or do I have to go through a breeder?  This last question just puts my stomache in knots.  If you go on petfinder there are so many pyrs that need homes.  It seems selfish to go to a breeder. However, I do not want a repeat of my history.  I also want a steady temperment.  My golden pyr was rescued at the age of 5 and he always had dog aggression issues.  I currently have 2 goldens and I can't tell you have nice it is not to deal with those issues.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: miss my pyrs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:52:58 am »
I am so with you  :) I can't imagine my life without a Pyr now  :)
I think that if you adopt a young puppy the probability of having many issues is much lower. I guess finding a good rescue is a key just like finding a good breeder  :)
I hope you find a puppy that make you very happy  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:58:30 am »
About 1 year ago I started to miss having a BIG dog around.  So a researched several big, friendly type dogs.  The newfoundland hit the top of my list.  For some reason the stars have not aligned and I have not been able to get a newfie.  That's probably good considering that I'm still on the fence with the whole "high upkeep" coat issue. My pyr was very easy to care for.  Brush him twice a week.  If he got muddy let the mud dry and then brush it out.  Easy!!!  Newfs are NOT like that. 

Just a little Newf defense: There really is not much difference in upkeep for a Newf as opposed to a Pyr. Perhaps a little extra drool, but a brush out under same circumstances is about all it takes for the Newf as well.

As with all these large breeds, the medical issues you may run into are pretty much the same.

Not trying to dissuade you from a Pyr. They are a wonderful, beautiful breed. IMO your best chance to get the Pyr you want is from a reputable breeder. Do your homework on this. Your medical issues should be greatly reduced (although not a guarantee) and starting out with a puppy will give you the opportunity to train him. You will definitely know his history and alleviate a lot of the questions of what may have happened in the dogs life.

As experience has already shown you. You never know what you're gonna get from a rescue. Maybe you could continue with your rescue through foster programs for Pyrs. Especially if you have another Pyr, he might be a great help to the foster bub.

Good luck with whatever you decide. ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:27:51 am »

Just a little Newf defense: There really is not much difference in upkeep for a Newf as opposed to a Pyr. Perhaps a little extra drool, but a brush out under same circumstances is about all it takes for the Newf as well.

As with all these large breeds, the medical issues you may run into are pretty much the same.

As past owner of a newf and a current Pyr owner I have to disagree with you  :)
Newfs don't have self cleaning coat like Pyrs and do need to be washed more often. Healthy Pyr can stay clean and fresh looking with just regular brushing and no bath for a year! I had to wash my Newf at least once a month  :P 
Also, Pyrs are much healthier breed than Newfs by far!
Please, don't take me wrong, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE both breeds but they are VERY different  ;) :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:59:52 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:52:18 am »
Thanks so much for the replies!  I think that both breeds, pyrs and newfs, are wonderful.  I appreciate all the wonderful information and insight.  I'm certainly not ready to get a pyr right now.  As you can see in the picture above I have a 1 year old golden who is quite a little fireball.  He and I are taking novice polish classes with the intent of competeing in formal obedience.  What I really love about pyrs, and what I learned from the pyrs who have come into my life, is the way that they make you look at things differently.  I believe, and in my experience, training a pyr is like training a cat.  You really can't make the cat do what you want it to do.  It will just walk away or shut down.  You've got to make the training worth the cat's time and energy. That's how training pyrs has been for me.  However, when you've got their attention... you've really got something special.  I always knew, regaurdless of health concerns, that my boys were very loyal. 

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:40 am »
We had the most amazing luck finding our two pyrs on Petfinder.  We sprung them from a crappy little animal control shelter.  They were about a year old and obviously had no socialization or training.  But they did have the pyr temperment and with lots of love, patience, and training they are now the best dogs I've ever owned.  And we finally started taking them to do pet therapy at the Children's Hospital, and they're doing wonderful work.  So not all rescue dogs have insurmountable issues.  I hope you'll give one a chance!

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 12:28:24 pm »
I will most likely go through rescue again, although I'll never hear the end of it from my mother.  She doesn't live with me, but, well, you know how it goes.  Like I said before I'm going to wait a little bit longer until I know that Tuck won't teach the newby any new naughty tricks.  Thanks so much to everyone.  And btw I think that coat texture and maintaince DO make a difference. 

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
I have both - a Pyr and 2 Newfs - and I have to say that the coat maintenance for puppies is different.  Ursa is pretty much wash and go.  When she gets dirty we just let her dry and brush the dirt out.  Sadie, our black Newf, is pretty much the same.  Fargo, our Landseer Newf, is a whole different story.  Keeping his white clean is a big challenge. 

Personality wise, I'd have to say that Ursa is the easiest dog I've ever owned.  She's far less likely to get into trouble than the Newfs.  It's like she was born with an adult soul in a puppy body.  She's also the dog that is most bonded to me.  The Newfs love everyone but my Pyr picks and chooses.  Don't get me wrong, she's very social and friendly but mom's the only person she's really willing to work for. 

I can't really give advice on where to find your next dog.  I'm a big supporter of rescue even though I've had some bad experiences there too. 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »

It's like she was born with an adult soul in a puppy body.  She's also the dog that is most bonded to me.  The Newfs love everyone but my Pyr picks and chooses.  Don't get me wrong, she's very social and friendly but mom's the only person she's really willing to work for. 

You summed it up in a nutshell for me.  That IS how they are!  That's why we're so addicted.  The fact that they pick and choose makes you feel oh so special that they have chosen YOU.  Thank you for putting the thoughts of my heart into words.  ;D

Offline Cave2PyrPressure

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:59 am »
I've been a pretty active member of the Florida Pyr Rescue and the coordinators here spend a lot of time getting to know the dogs before they are adopted, raising the placement success rate significantly.  When we adopted our first, there was a pretty thorough conversation with the  coordinator in my area to get a feel for our family and when she suggested a couple Pyrs in foster she thought would be a good fit, I then talked to the foster parents.  There was then a home visit with a Pyr in hand, so we could see just how darn BIG the dogs are, shedding issues, lazy temperment, etc. 

Granted, our rescue has worked very hard to become this organized and do all we can to make it the best fit possible.  This includes doing everything possible not to get the dog back, knowing any health issues and disclosing them.

I just can never say enough about rescue.  It's near and dear to my heart.
~Kelli - Colin, Molly and Patrick's birth mother
Breezely Greatest Pyr 2.5
Sullivan, Pyr foster failure 1.5
Cassidy Beautiful Border Collie 14
Gomez the Wonder Chihuahua 2
George the Fat Cat 6

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:06:50 pm »
The rescue group that you worked with sounds awesome.  We have a lot of abandoned pyrs here in Texas.  There are 2 major rescue groups and a few smaller groups. As you can imagine they are stuffed to the gills with pyrs.  There is one that is like the rescue group that you worked with.  If I rescue a pyr that is where I'll get mine.  My 10 year old came from that group. They were very open about his dog aggression and it was a behavior that I willingly took on.  So, in my oppinion, they are good folks that are doing a great job with the pyrs that they can rescue.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:51 pm »
Where are you in TX?  We're in Little Elm!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »
The rescue group that you worked with sounds awesome.  We have a lot of abandoned pyrs here in Texas.  There are 2 major rescue groups and a few smaller groups.
You are in TX? Well, we all know the best rescue you can find there...Lone Star!!!

http://lonestarpyrsandpawsrescue.org/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pa.cgi?d=lone-star-pyrs-and-paws-rescue&type=931
Mary W. Crane

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:40:31 am »

You are in TX? Well, we all know the best rescue you can find there...Lone Star!!!

That's so funny that you should mention that rescue.  I just got off the phone with them.  They ARE good.  In fact... all you BPOers will love this... she remembered me from a post that I posted over 2 years ago.  Remember I said that I worked with one of the rescue groups helping to train/desensetize pyrs.  Well, I posted about one of the dogs I worked with.  Her name was Jenny and she had had a scuffle with one of the foster family's pyrs.  They were keeping her in the bathroom which was very small and very narrow.  I still don't know what happened to her.   Anyway...I have contacted Lonestar Pyrs.  They've got quite a few little pyr mix puppies right now.  I also found a breeder in a nearby state who has pups right now.  The pups are farm raised so I'm not sure if they will be good "campanion dogs".  I think it is unfair to try to make a LGD into a housedog.  I've talked to the breeder and she does have 2 pups that will for sure be LGD's.  THere is a very cute masked puppy who she says is VERY people oriented.  He follows her around constantly.  His momma didn't have enough milk for her litter so he had to be bottle fed the first few weeks of his life.  As a result he and his brothers and sisters were kept indoors instead of out.  What do y'all think?

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 11:48:01 am »
Let me ammend that last post. About Jenny... I know she had gone after the foster family's other dogs but I'm not sure it was another pyr.  She was a magnificent dog, very magestic.  She was probably from show lines.  She was very people oriented.  Whenever I would go to train JEnny would bunggle her way to me with the biggest smile. It was almost as if she was saying, "OH!!!  The clicker lady is here! Me first!  Me first!"  She was clearly an alpha female.  I wish I knew what happened to her.  I fell out of favor with the group several months after I posted about her.  So I don't know what happened to her.    ???