Author Topic: Welcome Home Soldier!  (Read 2333 times)

tralfazmom

Welcome Home Soldier!
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:31:52 am »
My older son has a close friend who just got home from Iraq. He is in town for a few days so the guys have gotten together at my house as usual. I don't mind feeding and housing a dozen young men as long as they provide the food! Anyway, this is the first get together of this sort that we have had since Gus has been with us. Denali and Zeus have known these boys all of their lives and have no problems with the comings and goings of the gang. The guys are having a campout/bonfire in the back woods.  (We live on 80 acres) Gus was introduced to all the boys as they arrived, and he did beautifully with all of them, a few barks when they got up abruptly the first time but with a calm correction and a few treats he soon realized they were accepted here. All was well until this morning.
  My husband and I went to bed last night and left the guys out by the bonfire talking, playing some music, and generally having a good time. They came in sometime after 2AM and Gus let us know they were in the house, but he settled down as soon as I spoke to him. But this morning when we left our bedroom to get my younger son ready for school, there were bodies and lumps of blankets everywhere! Every available couch, chair, and floor space was occupied by a sleeping body. Poor Gus just couldn't figure out WHAT this was all about. He barked his fool head off, ran back to the bedroom and hid in his crate, then came charging out barking and growling again! I'm not sure the guys were thrilled about the rude awakening at 6 in the morning, but each and every one of them got him a treat, told him he was a good boy until he calmed down. I took my younger son to school and when I got back, Gus was snuggled down with our Soldier boy,,,sound asleep. Denali and Zeus had found another warm body to snuggle against and they too were sleeping peacefully.
  When the boys all got up around 10 this morning, Andrew told us that he finally feels like he is back home,,he got to sleep with a dog again! Just doing our Pyr part in welcoming home our troops.

tralfazmom

Re: Welcome Home Soldier!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 05:45:45 am »
So are we! This is one terrific young man. We have watched him grow from a gawky, awkward young teenager into a fine young soldier. He hasn't talked much about his experience and we will not push him, but he is thrilled to be home. They are sending him off to Afghanistan in about 6 months so we will worry again then. In the meantime we will make his stay here at home as comfortable as possible. ALL Big Paws are welcome here, even the ones with 5 toes on each foot!