Author Topic: Bark Collars  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Anniekins

• Gnawer
  • Ralph and Abby,first meeting
    • View Profile
Bark Collars
« on: March 23, 2009, 05:01:41 am »
Does anyone have any experience with bark collars for a pyr?

Anne
Anne and the crew

Ralph,(service dog) BC/ACD (7 yrs)
Abby, Pyr/collie (14 months)
Rippy, lil old blind deaf yorkie (16 yrs) RIP
Izzy, gray tabby (10 yrs)
Fred, Black and white cat (10 years)
Wally, gray tabby (10 onths)
Charlie, RIP (2/20/09)(Abby's brother)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Bark Collars
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 05:39:05 am »
Do you mean with ear plugs? LOL

Nothing can make Pyrs not to bark. They were bred to bark and they have been doing so for a VERY long time. Me, I actually love the sound of their deep comforting barks  ;D

You can try adding a little bit of lemon in a spray bottle to teach them when to stop but it's not a real problem solver  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:20:43 am »
When I had my pyr which was about 20 years ago. She loved to bark. I got her when she was about 4 months old. The people I got her from named her Barkley, which should have been a clue ::) I had no luck all through her long life of getting her to stop barking. I never tried a bark collar as I did not know about them back then. One of my Male neighbors eveen accused her of hampering his performance in bed  :o ??? ::) I told him, don't blame my dog for that!!!

I have a bark collar for my Bluetick Coonhound, which works pretty well, although he has broken about 4 of them. I use the one made by petsafe. You can adjust the intensity of the shock. I got shocked by it and it's not terrible, it just gets their attention. The only reason I use it is because of my crabby neighbors. With a pyr you would probably have to shave a spot otherwise it would not penetrate the fur.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:36:06 am »
I have a remote collar that has 15 levels of shock, and a sound warning button.  I prefer it to a bark collar because I can allow Gage to give a warning bark, but can correct him for over barking.  Also because I have 3 dogs I needed something the other dogs could not set off.  I also like the fact that I can use it for other training as well, it works well for off leash training as well. 

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:53:58 am »
I feel the spray bark collars work far better then the shock ones, but maybe thats just been on the dogs I have tried one on.
 Good luck, to me telling a Pyr not to bark is like telling a Beagle not to sniff.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:55:35 am by VdogLover »

Offline Anniekins

• Gnawer
  • Ralph and Abby,first meeting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:07:10 am »
Her barking in the yard is not so bad unless it is late at night. Our neighborhood has very close quarters so that is not good but i really want to try one on our walks becasue she barks at everyone and I have only had her a few days so she has no training yet. I borrowed one yesterday and so far it works great. Mind you she was used to using one from her previous owner who did not see a reason to tell me that when I took her.I have not had to shave her neck yet.

Anne
Anne and the crew

Ralph,(service dog) BC/ACD (7 yrs)
Abby, Pyr/collie (14 months)
Rippy, lil old blind deaf yorkie (16 yrs) RIP
Izzy, gray tabby (10 yrs)
Fred, Black and white cat (10 years)
Wally, gray tabby (10 onths)
Charlie, RIP (2/20/09)(Abby's brother)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:34:05 am »
I don't have a Pyr, just a St. Bernard who thinks she is one (from everything I've read). 

We've had great success with the spray bark collar.  To the point that we didn't even have to use it anymore until this year when my new next door neighbor decided to get a pit-bull puppy and keep it outside 100% of the time (sadder still, she kennels the poor thing who has a huge yard available and I'd socialize him as no one next door is ever home, but can't as he's on the other side of the  yard).  This has been quite disturbing to Raja and barking resumed.  Slapped on the spray collar and she shaped right up.

On the flip side I realize they don't work for every dog.  My brother-in-law's dog actually seemed to LIKE it.  I'd much rather try spray first though than immediately opting for shock.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP