Author Topic: Grain-free soft treats? And, switching kibble?  (Read 10398 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Grain-free soft treats? And, switching kibble?
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:46:33 am »
Well, I think Daisy might have a bit of an allergy. She has BAD dandruff, is always itching/nibbling her paws and what not, and has smelly ears. I thought the smelly, guncky ears were from a bath I gave her, thinking I got shampoo in them. She has been on malotic since wednesday for the yeast. The gunck has improved, smell has not.
I've decided to switch her to Orijen LBP anyway, to see if it's grains, if not I'll go to the 6 Fresh Fish. She is on Innova LBP now.
Should I make the switch slow, or stop the Innova right away since I suspect allergies? If I did that, I'm scared to just go to Orijen, as it's quite rich. Any suggestions?

Also, what are some good grain free soft treats? For now I use kibble, but I like to give her a treat at times, and we'll be showing so I need something for in the ring. I'd like to buy them, but homemade recipes welcome too.

Thank you everyone! :)
Oh, and Daisy is 12 weeks tomorrow, can they get alleriges to food at this age, even?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Grain-free soft treats? And, switching kibble?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:02:18 am »
I have learned that quite a few dogs have allergies to Flaxseed, which Innova kibble has as well.  :-\
I normally switch cold turkey and add probiotics to new to prevent any issues that might arise  :)
Orijen LBP is an outstanding food BUT you have to make sure you don't overfeed your pup. Labs are known to be quite eaters and this food is high in protein and fat.
As for treats, there are plenty of grain free dehydrated hearts, liver, chicken, etc. that you can find online.

http://www.sojos.com/grain_free_pr.html

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/freezedriedtreats.htm
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:37:38 am »
Thanks Ladies!
Where do you usually get probiotics?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:44:13 am »
Thanks Ladies!
Where do you usually get probiotics?
You can buy them in any health store or online  :)
Mary W. Crane

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:54:13 am »
Thank you!
One last question, do you look for anything specific in the probiotic? I found this one called Gentle Digest, with Lactic Acid Bacillus and Chicory.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 09:42:36 am »
I have been making my own treats lately, but they require refridgeration most of the time.
I have dehydrated liver in my oven and am thinking about trying to dehydrate some chicken strips soon, maybe tomorrow.
I have also dehydrated banana's(took forever at 175 degrees)
and sweet potatoes.
I just have to cut whatever im dehydrating fairly thin and it's fine.
Just remember if it's really moist the longer it takes in the oven if you want it crisp.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:56:47 am »
Thank you!
One last question, do you look for anything specific in the probiotic? I found this one called Gentle Digest, with Lactic Acid Bacillus and Chicory.

Look for one that contains at least 1 billion CFU
Mary W. Crane

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:24:58 am »
Here is a link to Stella and Chewys.  Cirra likes Carnivore Crunch.  Currently, she is "in love" with the freeze dried beef patties which can be broken up in to treats. Tomorrow -who knows - she is a Pyr.  We switch treats all the time to keep her interested.  We feed Cirra raw however we do use grain free kibble for treats.  Also, we use pieces of meat and/or make her meatballs which can be a little messy.

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/site/products_dogs/

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:33:23 am »
I have been making my own treats lately, but they require refridgeration most of the time.
I have dehydrated liver in my oven and am thinking about trying to dehydrate some chicken strips soon, maybe tomorrow.
I have also dehydrated banana's(took forever at 175 degrees)
and sweet potatoes.
I just have to cut whatever im dehydrating fairly thin and it's fine.
Just remember if it's really moist the longer it takes in the oven if you want it crisp.

Oooo, thanks for the info! I'm going to try and do some liver up, I bet it'll be cheaper then treats. How long does it last if you store it in the fridge? I need something I can take with her handling class, and to use at home. Do you know if liver is fairly low cal? I bet sweet potatoes are, I'm a health nut and eat those all the time....
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 12:43:01 pm »
Too much liver isnt good.  My guys get the treats in small quantity's, probably one liver each.  I just break or cut pieces off. and  they last about 2 weeks in an a sealable container.  I saw a recipe for a liver brownie that I may try.  It does have grains in it though, but instead of using the wheat flour im going to use amaranth or quinoa(SP?) flour.  I'll let you know how well that goes...lol
The sweet potatoes are low cal and have tons antioxidents in  them.  Kira likes them a little chewy.

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 01:02:36 pm »
Sounds great, let me know how those liver brownies go, other dogs in the house would probably enjoy them! I'll try the liver and the sweet potatoes and let ya know how it goes, thanks again!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab