Author Topic: need medical advice now  (Read 3019 times)

lookingfornewf

need medical advice now
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:56:08 am »
Annie, my 17 pound Jack Russell just ate 2 benadryl. Do I need to make her vomit? get her to the vet? just watch her?
Any help would be appreciated.

lookingfornewf

Re: need medical advice now
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:08:10 pm »
Yes 50mg all together. That was pretty much what I decided to do, to watch and take her to the vet if she had a reaction. There is a slight possibility she didn't get both. I was actually giving them to Clifford in a piece of cheese. He has allergies and when he gets really itchy we give them to him. He had the cheese in his mouth, let it drop out and she grabbed it.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:11:35 pm »
She should be fine  Benadryl is a remarkably safe drug and usually the worst side effect is sleepiness  it is actually used as a mild sleep aid particularly in geriatrics.  It is damn near impossible to ingest a lethal dose and 50 mg is still a fairly small dose, even in her size. 

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »
Thankyou for your replies. She seems to be fine. I was worried because of how small she is.

lookingfornewf

Re: need medical advice now, update- she's fine
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:54:11 pm »
It's been a couple of hours and she didn't even fall asleep until just a little while ago when she went to bed with my husband. It's hard to slow those hyper ones down.
Since it doesn't look like an emergency trip to the vet I have fixed myself a rum and diet coke and I will be fine soon too.
Thanks again for the responses, it's good to have somewhere to ask the questions when I need a quick answer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:52:55 am by Clifford the big dog »