Author Topic: To supplement... or not to supplement? That's the ?????  (Read 5552 times)

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
To supplement... or not to supplement? That's the ?????
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:08 am »
Hello all,
     I had a question about supplemening on EVO or any high end dog food.  Do y'all do it.  I'm specifically wondering about giving supplements for joint support.  I've got a 15 month old golden. He's eating EVO.  Just wondering if anyone out their supplements... .

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: To supplement... or not to supplement? That's the ?????
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »
Goodness... I'm sorry to hear about Jack's conditions.  I think that you are absolutely right about the kibble having everything that they need.  I'm just wondering if I should give a joint supplement?  Tucker sometimes looks like he's favoring one side of his hind end over the other.  I've had 2 dogs with joint issues and am wondering if I can avoid something by supplementing him.  BTW Tucker Jack is his real name.  He knows that something great is coming to him when I say "Tucker Jack".  It's a little hillbilly, but it suits him.

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:46:34 pm »
Thanks!!!  So giving human glucosamine is okay? 

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:54:07 pm »
You can also give treats of foods high in glucosamine/chondroiting, basically anything with lots of cartilage, cow trachea, chicken feet, etc.  2 of my dogs have severe arthritis, one in his hip and the other in her knee.  Both get 1/2 dozen chicken feet daily and trachea weekly.  Natural sources are more easily digested and assimilated than artificial sources.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats