Author Topic: Flooring And big dogs  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Flooring And big dogs
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:43 am »
Hi,

I have older carpeting in the 2 upstairs bedrooms, well under all of wislow's hair there is old carpeting I should say  ::)

I am thinking of pulling the rugs and putting down vinyl tiles (the self stick stuff) Thoughts on this? If I had the money I'd do wood or laminate floors but I can do tiles(wood simulated tiles) for around $400.00 instead of the $1200 laminate flooring would cost.

Any body have the tiles and how do they hold up! Anything is better than raking the rugs I have now!! This is really only a consideration for ease of up keep!! I have killed 2 vacuums trying to gget the hair out of the rug, so now I actually use the yard rake on the rug then a shop vac to suck up the piles.  :o.

The tilese would be sweepable is my thinking!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Flooring And big dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:23 pm »
Hi,

Thanks, good info all around! Not enough rugs to spend Dyson money on a vacuum! The x did that once with a kirby, and I was not impressed. I have a doemered cape so the 2 upstairs bedrooms are about 400 square feet.

I want to do wood but just can't swing it yet, so for a short term, 2 or 3 year fix I am thinking the tiles, they have improved a lot for both designs and durability but I am not totally sold yet.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll let you know if i do anything either way.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »
the hair does build up...i'm sure you have it worse than a lot of us too.   Grace always foudn a way to slide on tile, but it's better than hard wood floors in the slide department.  I love ceramic tile for clean up, but it is so expensive and a major pain to cut and get perfectly straight.  

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:27 am »
I know the tiles you are talking about. I have them in my entryway. They look and feel like real wood but are self stick tiles. That is where my 2 do their happy to see me dance when I get home and they have no signs there are dogs on them. We have hauled both my sons stuff in and out that way when they both moved to school and back and on to their own homes & still no marks. Lots of snow and mud tracked in as well. I do have a dyson and I use it on that floor as well but I'm sure your shop vac will take care of the tiles nicely.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 05:49:35 am »
I know the tiles you are talking about. I have them in my entryway. They look and feel like real wood but are self stick tiles. That is where my 2 do their happy to see me dance when I get home and they have no signs there are dogs on them. We have hauled both my sons stuff in and out that way when they both moved to school and back and on to their own homes & still no marks. Lots of snow and mud tracked in as well. I do have a dyson and I use it on that floor as well but I'm sure your shop vac will take care of the tiles nicely.

Hi do you know the brand of tile you have, maybe i can look them up and to see if we are talking the same product! ;-)
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad