Author Topic: The bad side of rescue - Feeling Bummed  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
The bad side of rescue - Feeling Bummed
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:46 am »
Hello Everyone,

Just feeling a bit bummed and wanted to vent at people who might understand. For those of you that don't do rescue this might come as a bit of a shock but you don't always "win"

The Fila that we're currently fostering for the rescue I work with has been unfortunately judged too unstable to be placed in a home. She will be put down on Friday morning. While I agree with the judgment and I myself had a hand in making the recommendation I still feel horrible about it.

It shouldn't have to be this way, people made her what she is. She has a huge amount of fear and unleashes it as aggression. She cannot be around children, she cannot be around cats, she cannot be around other dogs and she can only be around people who not only have dealt with Filas but have dealt with fear aggressive dogs.

With another breed it might be possible to work on it, unfortunately with her this is not the case.

She came to us 30lbs under weight, still dripping milk from a recent litter of puppies. Half of her tail had been bitten off by something and nobody had treated the wound (though thankfully it hadn't gotten infected).

If we attempted to place her someone would get bit, probably very badly. I know this and the practical side of my brain understands why she needs to be put down. I look at her though and it just breaks my heart into itty bitty pieces. I don't understand animal abuse with any dog but it confuses me even more with Filas. This is a breed of dog that loves you so intensely that there is no room in their hearts to love anyone else. They live for you and only you and to turn that amount of trust around and destroy them just.. well to be honest it makes me very very angry.

Give your puppies a hug for me and say a prayer for Lilah to which ever deity you prefer - a curse to her previous owners wouldn't go amiss either.
Cat
Serenity: Fila Brasileiro Female
Kaylee: Fila Brasileiro Female
Lincoln: Newfoundland Male
Keegan: Fila Brasileiro Male
Cathen: Fila Brasileiro Male
Bug & Ger: Devon Rex Cats
Remus: Roommates Mutt
Rescues of all sorts

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: The bad side of rescue - Feeling Bummed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:23 pm »
Such a hard decision but the correct one.  You just cannot rehab every dog and resources are better spent on those dogs that are salvageable.  Temperament problems in Filas are not uncommon and lack of proper socialization and who knows what else from her previous owners just set her up to be doomed. 

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: The bad side of rescue - Feeling Bummed
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:32:14 am »
Hello All,

Thank you for the well wishes to Lilah. This morning she went to a better place. She was not alone when she went, we made sure of that.

She came to us weighing only 57lbs and left us weighing 65, she should have been 110-115. Her previous owner cried when she left her here and that makes me angry. The woman had no rights to shed tears for this dog.

Cat
Serenity: Fila Brasileiro Female
Kaylee: Fila Brasileiro Female
Lincoln: Newfoundland Male
Keegan: Fila Brasileiro Male
Cathen: Fila Brasileiro Male
Bug & Ger: Devon Rex Cats
Remus: Roommates Mutt
Rescues of all sorts