Author Topic: My dog seems to not get a long with "pit bulls" any of them - wondering why?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
So Ruby is a pretty even tempered girl. She's not an alpha and will  prefer to take turns while playing as to who is on the bottom. She plays with great danes and shit zu's though Malamuate seem to intimidate her a tad
but the one breed type she cannot seem to play well with are "pit bulls", staffies, american bulldog and such.  Some boxers wig her out too
Frenchies, english bulldog and boston terriers she gets along fine with
There are fair amount of these guys around where I live and they are a pretty well trained and mannered bunch but for some reason they bring out the ugly side of Ruby's nature and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is about this type of dog that makes my normally gentle goof into a stubborn dog that won't back down - she has even growled and snapped at a staffie that just would not leave her alone at the park (you would think he would get her "I SAID leave me alone!" snap)
I guess I should add that her "snaps" were clearly posturing as she didn't connect or really try to , it is always a warning but I wonder if anyone might have an insite?
Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute

lins_saving_grace

grace has her preferences too.  She likes most people unless there are wheels involved.  if a person is on a bike, skates, small leg propelled vehilcle or a wheelchair, she goes off.  She responds differently to some breeds of dogs over others too. 

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
"Merlin in my avatar, hates goldens. We have an obnoxious one next door, an uncut male that Mer would take out in a New York minute. It seems to spill over onto any dog with that look and we are just careful to avoid any contact with any dog that is that type. Other than that he is Mr Mellow around everyone, even mop dogs with Napoleon complexes that nip his ankles and think that his flews are chew toys."

Flews!?! LOL That's a new one.

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
It is just so weird! Like I said there seems to be a fair number of staffie and american bulldogs in my area and they all are pretty well trained and mannered. They are nosiey players and thats about the only thing I can think of
 Ruby's normal somewhat submissive attitude goes out the window with them and it turns into "NO I will NOT (let go of the stick, give you the ball, back down et)"

This is a dog that usually wants to play with dogs smaller than her and rarely challenges even dogs her own size and age for a favorite toy. When wrestling with her fave little buddy (a 9 pound min pin/ shit zu cross) she takes turns on the bottom getting chewed on...
It is just bizzare!
Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe it's their play style or overly confident personalities she doesn't like?  A lot of those breeds you mentioned are in-your-face, rough and tumble, always on top when playing.

Dogs that play best together give and take.