Author Topic: Sophie TPLO surgery - Problem?  (Read 5359 times)

jesday

Sophie TPLO surgery - Problem?
« on: April 11, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
First of all, I am calling the surgeon Monday morning but I have a question for anyone who has gone through the TPLO surgery.

Sophie was doing great with the second surgery until about a week ago. Now her latest leg seems to be torquing to the outside when she walks and she seems to be limping a lot more on this leg at this stage of the game. We are 4 weeks into second recovery.

I keep looking at the first leg, but a good deal of fur has grown back and I can't tell if it too is torquing out a little. I also can't remember how much she was limping last time 1/2 way through recovery.

My fear is something has come loose inside and we have to go back in. :o 

Anyone had any problems with their TPLO's?

We are to the point of - enough is enough! Yeah, right. Like we would ever not do whatever was necessary, but gosh darn! Someone tell me I'm just being a spazz!

lookingfornewf

Re: Sophie TPLO surgery - Problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:33:16 pm »
I don't know anything to help you, sorry. I sure hope she's OK, you and her have gone through enough already.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 01:44:42 pm »
there will be up's and down's ... you're not so far into this that there won't be set backs.  but 4 weeks, that's enough time to have had a lot of scar tissue grow in that a re-tear is highly unlikely.  of course, call the vet.  that's why you paid him an unsurmountable amount of money for the surgory.  But, try not the think the worst. 
Both of Grace's legs look a little different now after her ACL's were done.  It's almost like she is now bow legged. 
It's still early in recovery.  this may just be a small set back.  I don't remember how many times I thought Grace had retorn hers just because she turned a corner wrong or sat down too fast. 
relax for now.  :) a dog is not going to do anything it doesn't feel up to doing with this type of injury.  they do know their limits.  take a deep breath and try not to worry just yet.  ok?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:29:21 pm »
just a thought here.  Maybe with the weather change, Sophie is feeling the pain of having cold metal in her leg.  I know when the weather breaks from one extreme to another, my knee (the one i busted in a motorcycle accident) throbs and stings like a somanabeach.  knee injuries make for wonderful barometers.  i twisted it the other day and have a bad feeling i may have hurt it again.

jesday

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 03:14:36 am »
Thanks for the comments. Especially the bow-legged Gracie. That is exactly how her one leg looks.

I know about knees. I've had three surgeries so far. It's amazing what they can do orthoscopicall y these days, but I hate the down time.

Maybe that's why I worry about Sophie so much.

Thanks again.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:49:47 am »
:)  anytime.  Grace still favors her left leg since that was the one she had done most recently.  Since the surgory her knees are bigger.  she hardly has as much fur as Sophie, so it's easy for me to see better there.  Both of her knees are knobby almost.  they definately look different and her legs have changed to adapt to the surgory too. i'm sure Sophie will be fine.